Spearfishing With Luke: The Last Jedi thread with spoilers!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Spearfishing With Luke: The Last Jedi thread with spoilers!

Post by Sandy » 18 Jan 2018, 15:40

Mo wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 15:00
The real stereotype is Benicio del Toro playing every prior role he's had.
Oh right, the other Latino is a criminal.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jan 2018, 15:42

Look, the purple-haired woman was vindicated. What more do you want?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Jan 2018, 21:45

Mo wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 15:00
The real stereotype is Benicio del Toro playing every prior role he's had.
Including Dr Gonzo? That might get me to see it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 19 Jan 2018, 00:09

Thoughts in no particular order.

Too many characters - I guess they're trying the MCU thing (understandable being Disney also) but it isn't working. This is a middle chapter. Why did they feel the need to introduce several new characters with so much dialogue? This made the narrative completely scatterbrained. I didn't hate the new characters but it took time away from the already established ones who really needed some more fleshing out.

Major conflicts shouldn't depend entirely on avoiding a 5 minute conversation - You know what would be good idea Ms. Holdo? Telling your squadron leader the FUCKING PLAN. There's no good reason that she should have kept the plan from anyone much less him. It's just lazy manufactured drama. Supposedly Poe learns something from that. But other than "shut up and follow orders" (an odd lesson in an organization based on restoring a republic) I can't think what that could have been.

Spent too much time trying to subvert expectations - I'm fine with monkeying with the typical formula for these things but you need pick and choose when you do that. If you subvert everything it just becomes confusing because there's no room for any kind of build up. There were times I swear could almost feel the writers nudging me the ribs going "Huh, huh. Didn't see that coming did you?"

Maudlin - The kid slaves with their slave horses was just eye rolling for the most part. We get it the First Order is bad and bad things happen when they're in charge. I picked that up last movie when they blew up several planets by extinguishing a star. When the kid with the broom at the end looked up at the stars I thought for a second it was going to show a commercial for Star Wars Land. The whole thing felt really manipulative.

Self-aware-fan-surrogate characters - This is something lots of movies and series love to do now so it's just not this one. I like Joss Whedon's stuff and I also like Saving Private Ryan but just as SPR unleashed the shaky cam trend on movies for good or ill so did Whedon unleash his peculiar writing style on the world and others have picked it up. Many to the world's detriment. It really doesn't work for me in this movie in particular. It drags things down too far into the mundane. Something Star Wars really shouldn't be doing much of given the epic nature and size of the conflict. It also drags me out of the story as it can start to feel like pandering to the audience.

The slow speed chase - This was kind of a baffling decision to me by the filmmakers. Having a bunch of visually static spaceships occasionally lobbing a couple of shots at another one for a couple hours isn't exactly nail biting entertainment. If I had watched the movie with no audio track I would have assumed Rose and Finn left the ship because they were bored. Or maybe they were just looking for a better movie to be in.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Jan 2018, 08:25

It *was* a commercial for Star Wars land. As I understand it, both Anaheim and Orlando have significant Star Wars presence in their parks (and have had it for a while)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jan 2018, 09:15

Star Tours has been in Disneyland since the later 80s.
Painboy wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 00:09
Major conflicts shouldn't depend entirely on avoiding a 5 minute conversation - You know what would be good idea Ms. Holdo? Telling your squadron leader the FUCKING PLAN. There's no good reason that she should have kept the plan from anyone much less him. It's just lazy manufactured drama. Supposedly Poe learns something from that. But other than "shut up and follow orders" (an odd lesson in an organization based on restoring a republic) I can't think what that could have been.
Kolohe addressed this above, but FYTW is SOP is military chain of command. Not to mention, the squadron leader had recently been demoted to captain. No need for an admiral to tell him what the plan is, especially since there are suspicions of a mole on board.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Jan 2018, 09:49

Mo wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 09:15
especially since there are suspicions of a mole on board.
Was this ever alluded to? From what I remember, everyone just accepted that "oh they can track us now." It would have made everything much more believable.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Jan 2018, 09:57

Sandy wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 09:49
Mo wrote:
Was this ever alluded to? From what I remember, everyone just accepted that "oh they can track us now." It would have made everything much more believable.
Yeah, I was waiting for the mole hunt to start, but they skipped right to "they have the technology."
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Jan 2018, 10:23

A mole hunt would have provided opportunities for interesting plot twists and character moments. They could never go there.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jan 2018, 10:49

Sandy wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 09:49
Mo wrote:
They kept focusing on a piece of jewelry at that time. I thought there was going to be a reveal that the rebels had a tracking device planted on them.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Jan 2018, 15:50

FINALLY fucking saw it last night.

I do wish that Johnson had hired someone to just work on plot a bit, because tighten that up, and the movie becomes much better. It's frustrating to realize that one of the plot lines is 100% bullshit that does NOTHING but get a few hundred people killed, and that it could've been avoided with one five minute conversation, or even a 10-second "Dammit Captain, there is a plan and we are executing it, so go wait in your ready room until I need you."

And the people who did their damned jobs and followed orders and didn't get anyone killed or wreck the plan that showed every sign of working, they're the ones that were in the shuttles that got hit, and the dipshits that got everyone killed were the ones that made it through.

Also Leia getting all oh I've just been through and explosion and decompression, thrown thousands of meters through hard vacuum, and am literally freezing solid, oh I'm gonna just stick out my hand and fly back. Fuck you Space McGonagall that was cheesey as hell.

Space Hermione, OTOH, was just fun. I hope to god that Kylo is telling the truth and that this isn't just some incredibly destructive and incestuous Skywalker family spat. That anyone anywhere can be particularly force sensitive makes the stakes seem higher.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Jan 2018, 20:44

Kolohe wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 08:25
It *was* a commercial for Star Wars land. As I understand it, both Anaheim and Orlando have significant Star Wars presence in their parks (and have had it for a while)
They're building a whole new "Star Wars Land" in Anaheim, and probably in in Orlando too. First major addition to the flagship park in 30ish years. Though, also the first time they've had space for a major addition, since they just bought out the neighbors.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jan 2018, 21:01

Shem wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 20:44
Kolohe wrote:
They're building a whole new "Star Wars Land" in Anaheim, and probably in in Orlando too. First major addition to the flagship park in 30ish years. Though, also the first time they've had space for a major addition, since they just bought out the neighbors.
They bought that farm 2 decades ago.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jan 2018, 21:07

Disney always puts things on ice after they bought the farm.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Jan 2018, 21:21

No Star Wars theme park will ever be as cool as the Battlestar Galactica ride at Universal Studios.

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Jan 2018, 21:59

Mo wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 21:01
Shem wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 20:44
Kolohe wrote:
They bought that farm 2 decades ago.
Not what I'm talking about. They bought the office buildings so that they could move current offices out of the park's footprint to enable them to expand. The offices are what they did with the farms.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Jan 2018, 22:26

I think Star Wars and Marvel are going to be the rock on which Disney ends up shattering inside of a decade (if not collateral damage to a highly reinvigorated antitrust if the Dems or Europe get pissed at various tech giants). I'm approaching burnout point on comic book movies, I'm guessing others are too.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Jan 2018, 22:30

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 22:26
I think Star Wars and Marvel are going to be the rock on which Disney ends up shattering inside of a decade (if not collateral damage to a highly reinvigorated antitrust if the Dems or Europe get pissed at various tech giants). I'm approaching burnout point on comic book movies, I'm guessing others are too.
Yeah. And the MCU is crowded. Besides being distracting for fans, it also kind of changes the premise from that of the early movies (here are extraordinary people in a world that looks like ours) to that of a crowded world (*yawn* another super-powered team fighting some bizarre super-powered villain in the middle of the city). Yeah, you can sell comic books on that premise, but the MCU was making money by bringing in an audience larger than the comic book audience.
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Jan 2018, 22:39

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 22:26
I'm approaching burnout point on comic book movies, I'm guessing others are too.
This. There are only so many ways you can explode or smash things.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer