Thanksgiving: the most delicious time of the year

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jadagul

Re: Thanksgiving: the most delicious time of the year

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 18:21

Sure. I can do it, and I do sometimes, but when I'm cooking meat in bulk it's cheaper and easier and tastier to do pressure cooker thighs.

On the other hand, there's a couple people I want to have over for dinner some time soon, and this is a good reminder that I can/should roast chickens for them.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Nov 2017, 18:34

I believe in it as a core competency to maintain.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 18:46

Roasting or carving?

Roasting is easy enough that I don't think of it as a "competency" so much. Roasting a chicken is almost impossible to screw up if you have a good probe thermometer.

Carving, I really want to be in a situation where I can carve like forty chickens in a sitting for practice. But that's impracticable.

(I had the same problem with pie crust practice. But I've made like eight in the past week, which helps).

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Nov 2017, 18:56

I meant roasting and hitting temp on white and dark.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 20:18

Rub it down with oil and spices, shove a thermometer in, put it in at 250, come back when the thermometer beeps.

Used to have the highest "people are impressed" to effort ratio of anything I could do with protein. Has been eclipsed by sous vide, so I mostly do that these days instead.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Nov 2017, 20:26

Skin don’t Sous vide right, alas. Poofy and difficult to dry out/crisp later.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 20:37

I believe that, although Kenji says you get good results with sous videing a chicken breast and then searing it afterwards. I mostly sous vide pork and beef, and sometimes boneless skinless chicken thighs.

The sous vide isn't a replace for roasting the chicken. It's a replacement for doing chicken at all, because it's more impressive for less effort. (I should get a commission from Anova for my dinner parties).

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Nov 2017, 21:18

Kiddos skipped their naps and cried all the way through dinner :? but all the food was a big success.

These biscuits are AMAZING if you are eating low-carb: http://www.uplateanyway.com/keto/almond-flour-biscuits/
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Nov 2017, 21:24

From what I've heard, it's good to sous vide chicken with skin and bones, and then throw those both away before you eat it. We're trying to go as lean and easy as possible, so we just go with boneless skinless.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 21:29

Yeah, I do boneless skinless because that's what I can buy in bulk frozen, and also because deboning is annoying.

I have never managed to get all the inedibles out of slow-cooked chicken thighs before. I'm pulling little bits of gristle out of my jambalaya all week.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 25 Nov 2017, 18:59

thoreau wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 13:08
I need to share my amazing 1-step trick for carving a turkey:

1) Hand the carving utensils to whichever guest has the strongest opinions on what I'm doing wrong in the kitchen.
I don't understand why there's any mystique/ritual around carving. Apply sharp knife to bird. Done.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 25 Nov 2017, 19:55

Green bean casserole (while good) could be so much better. I have to think that fresh green beans rather than mushy canned beans and a home-made Bearnaise sauce rather than gloppy canned mushroom soup might be better.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Nov 2017, 01:04

That apple pie with cheese was tasty, but something in it does NOT play nice with my digestive system at ALL. Belch belch burp burp burp belch. What, was the cheese, like, carbonated, only somehow I did not notice?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Nov 2018, 00:26

Mom (who usually hosts) working a seasonal job + sister and nieces not planning to visit + pregnancy nausea continuing to be so out of control I'll barf if I look at a turkey = my usual favorite holiday is cancelled. BUT it's a holiday about eating and celebrating immigrants who came to this continent from overseas in search of religious freedom and a better life, right? So I can order eight thousand veggie samosas from Holy Land Deli and still be celebrating the true spirit of Thanksgiving tomorrow? (a day early since David works on Thursday because he always gets stuck working holidays)
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 21 Nov 2018, 08:51

The family that 'adopted' Sue and me (for some weird reason) is going to FL to be with one of their kids that lives down there, so we are spending our first thanksgiving alone in, maybe, ever.

Going non-traditional and doing a small baked ham. Sweet potatoes, acorn squash, broccoli, and stuffing will be the sides.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Nov 2018, 09:36

Jasper wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 08:51
Going non-traditional and doing a small baked ham. Sweet potatoes, acorn squash, broccoli, and stuffing will be the sides.
Swapping ham for turkey is a common practice. That's till traditional Merica fare.
BUT it's a holiday about eating and celebrating immigrants who came to this continent from overseas in search of religious freedom and a better life, right?
You forgot the part about genocide. *tsk* *tsk*
So I can order eight thousand veggie samosas from Holy Land Deli and still be celebrating the true spirit of Thanksgiving tomorrow?
Oh yes absolutely. That would be keeping in the spirit of the holiday.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Nov 2018, 10:03

I volunteered to work the anesthesia shift at the hospital. Because I am a small petty spiteful man sometimes. I hope whoever gets to spend thanksgiving day in my stead has a good time.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Nov 2018, 10:36

Enjoy your day of meleagricide. May it be delicious.

At least I get to partake of Black Friday sales. (I have a big list of horse stuff to buy)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Nov 2018, 10:48

Aresen wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 10:36
Enjoy your day of meleagricide. May it be delicious.

At least I get to partake of Black Friday sales. (I have a big list of horse stuff to buy)
Aresen doing his holiday shopping...
Hmmm let's see
Horse of a different color, check
Horse flies, check
Horse shit, check
Horse...
Excuse me, do you have any "ing around"?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Nov 2018, 11:03

My wife always worked on Thanksgiving (when she was working), partly as an excuse to not have to deal with my parents, partly to not have to deal with the rest of the whiny bitch coworkers who felt like they "deserved" the day off because of their families. She thought it was one of the best days to work because it was quiet and everyone would be nice to her "because you have to work on the holiday".
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Nov 2018, 11:15

Doing rib roast from an online butcher. Juuust got here in time. I bought a safety chicken last night just in case.

Simple sides. Smashed and crisped new potatoes, green beans with pancetta, roasted shallots.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Nov 2018, 11:25

JasonL wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 11:15
Doing rib roast from an online butcher. Juuust got here in time. I bought a safety chicken last night just in case.

Simple sides. Smashed and crisped new potatoes, green beans with pancetta, roasted shallots.
How do you crisp your smashed potatoes?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Nov 2018, 11:34

Serious eats method- boil, smash into pucks, pan fry in flavorful fat, bit of lemon and herbs. Lots of salt.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Nov 2018, 11:57

JasonL wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 11:34
Serious eats method- boil, smash into pucks, pan fry in flavorful fat, bit of lemon and herbs. Lots of salt.
Lemon juice or lemon zest? Am just starting to do potato work beyond 'bake' and 'mash' so I'm inexperienced on that front. Edit: I'm not familiar with using acid with potatoes. Edit my Edit: Except malt vinegar with fish and chips, so I guess similar concept, and probably could be good.

Also I followed someone's recipe for mashed sweet potatoes and decided what the fuck I'll add honey like they say. Sweet potatoes are sweet. Mashed sweet potatoes should be sweet. Sweet does not mean sugary. They're still a starch vegetable, not a goddamned desert-side. I have tested the waters, and sweetening sweetpotatoes is the wrong temperature.
Last edited by lunchstealer on 21 Nov 2018, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Nov 2018, 12:00

We’re hosting this year for the first time. Which is annoying because we decided to host to have friends over who now aren’t coming. Anyway. Dubs is in charge of course. There’s a turkey brining in the fridge and we’re having mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, onions and green beans. MIL making pies for dessert and I’m going to get some macarons from a bakery around the corner too.

Not psyched at how much cleaning I still have to do but hosting has meant dubs had to finish some projects around the house so it’s all worth it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul