Thanksgiving: the most delicious time of the year

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jadagul

Re: Thanksgiving: the most delicious time of the year

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 18:21

Sure. I can do it, and I do sometimes, but when I'm cooking meat in bulk it's cheaper and easier and tastier to do pressure cooker thighs.

On the other hand, there's a couple people I want to have over for dinner some time soon, and this is a good reminder that I can/should roast chickens for them.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Nov 2017, 18:34

I believe in it as a core competency to maintain.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 18:46

Roasting or carving?

Roasting is easy enough that I don't think of it as a "competency" so much. Roasting a chicken is almost impossible to screw up if you have a good probe thermometer.

Carving, I really want to be in a situation where I can carve like forty chickens in a sitting for practice. But that's impracticable.

(I had the same problem with pie crust practice. But I've made like eight in the past week, which helps).

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Nov 2017, 18:56

I meant roasting and hitting temp on white and dark.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 20:18

Rub it down with oil and spices, shove a thermometer in, put it in at 250, come back when the thermometer beeps.

Used to have the highest "people are impressed" to effort ratio of anything I could do with protein. Has been eclipsed by sous vide, so I mostly do that these days instead.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Nov 2017, 20:26

Skin don’t Sous vide right, alas. Poofy and difficult to dry out/crisp later.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 20:37

I believe that, although Kenji says you get good results with sous videing a chicken breast and then searing it afterwards. I mostly sous vide pork and beef, and sometimes boneless skinless chicken thighs.

The sous vide isn't a replace for roasting the chicken. It's a replacement for doing chicken at all, because it's more impressive for less effort. (I should get a commission from Anova for my dinner parties).

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Nov 2017, 21:18

Kiddos skipped their naps and cried all the way through dinner :? but all the food was a big success.

These biscuits are AMAZING if you are eating low-carb: http://www.uplateanyway.com/keto/almond-flour-biscuits/
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Nov 2017, 21:24

From what I've heard, it's good to sous vide chicken with skin and bones, and then throw those both away before you eat it. We're trying to go as lean and easy as possible, so we just go with boneless skinless.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Nov 2017, 21:29

Yeah, I do boneless skinless because that's what I can buy in bulk frozen, and also because deboning is annoying.

I have never managed to get all the inedibles out of slow-cooked chicken thighs before. I'm pulling little bits of gristle out of my jambalaya all week.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 25 Nov 2017, 18:59

thoreau wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 13:08
I need to share my amazing 1-step trick for carving a turkey:

1) Hand the carving utensils to whichever guest has the strongest opinions on what I'm doing wrong in the kitchen.
I don't understand why there's any mystique/ritual around carving. Apply sharp knife to bird. Done.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 25 Nov 2017, 19:55

Green bean casserole (while good) could be so much better. I have to think that fresh green beans rather than mushy canned beans and a home-made Bearnaise sauce rather than gloppy canned mushroom soup might be better.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Nov 2017, 01:04

That apple pie with cheese was tasty, but something in it does NOT play nice with my digestive system at ALL. Belch belch burp burp burp belch. What, was the cheese, like, carbonated, only somehow I did not notice?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b