NaNoWriMo!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

NaNoWriMo!

Post by Ellie » 26 Oct 2017, 10:59

Is anybody doing it? I think I saw Eric mention it!

I did it 10 years in a row, with only 2 wins, and then took several years off once having tiny monster spawn to deal with. But I'm kind of in the mood to try it again this year! It's going to be smut because I am a disgusting human being and that's the easiest thing for me to write :lol:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

thoreau

Re: NaNoWriMo!

Post by thoreau » 26 Oct 2017, 11:22

I should do it, but I have too many other projects :(
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Oct 2017, 11:46

I may regret this, but WTF does that mean?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Oct 2017, 12:12

How do you "win"?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Oct 2017, 12:28

NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month, where you challenge yourself to write a 50,000 word novel (or 50,000 words OF a novel) during the month of November. You "win" if you meet the word goal by the deadline. I have had some spectacular failures :lol:

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Oct 2017, 12:42

Ah okay, I didn't realize there was actually a word count target.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 26 Oct 2017, 12:57

People in NYC are insane about NaNoWriMo. There are a million meetups for it, and it apparently has gotten very cliquey and there is a lot of drama and infighting.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Oct 2017, 12:58

Rachel wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 12:57
People in NYC are insane about NaNoWriMo. There are a million meetups for it, and it apparently has gotten very cliquey and there is a lot of drama and infighting.
I'm not sure why but this amuses me greatly.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Oct 2017, 13:55

Warren wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 12:58
Rachel wrote:
Same!

I got into it early on, maybe the fourth year (they're up to year 19 now) so I'm totally one of those "I did it before it was cool and when the forums would crash constantly" snobs.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Oct 2017, 14:09

nicole wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 12:42
Ah okay, I didn't realize there was actually a word count target.
Even before NaNoWriMo, 50k has always been generally accepted as the minimum word count for a "novel" (as opposed to novella or short story).

I also have a vague memory of reading a terrible book by a famous comedian -- IIRC it was Ellen DeGeneres, and I got a copy of her book after it had been out long enough to be commonplace in thrift store book sections -- and one running "joke" was "Whoa, writing a whole book with a whole 50 thousand words is hard," so the last page or so was just her writing random stuff -- a list of items in eyesight from where she sat in her home, or something like that -- in order to make the 50,000 word minimum.

"... oooh, writing a book is so hard! But I'm almost done now! I need just need another twenty-five words. Here are things I see from my desk: computer, monitor, lamp, couch, throw pillow, chair, coffee mug, stapler, paper clips. The end."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 26 Oct 2017, 15:10

Is this a contest or is it just like a New Year's Eve resolution but with a shorter deadline?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Oct 2017, 16:49

Painboy wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 15:10
Is this a contest or is it just like a New Year's Eve resolution but with a shorter deadline?
The later, AFAIK.

And people apparently join groups to hold each other accountable for the resolution, which is great until it turns into drama.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 26 Oct 2017, 18:20

Ellie wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 13:55
Warren wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 12:58
Rachel wrote:
Same!

I got into it early on, maybe the fourth year (they're up to year 19 now) so I'm totally one of those "I did it before it was cool and when the forums would crash constantly" snobs.
I did it in 2004 and 2005, mainly as a way of connecting with other people, and not so much the writing. 2005 I was in NYC, and it was fairly ridiculous then. I can only imagine what it's like now. Maybe I'll go to one of the meet-ups. I would probably involuntarily get a novel's worth of material, and then I could write that novel in 25 days, with no stress, to spite those people.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2017, 05:11

I've done it a number of times. Not bothering to use the website or anything, and never successfully, mainly because November is the worst month at my job. (Though, the year I blasted out episodic short stories least involved writing and finishing a number of stories.)

I'm only semi-seriously doing it this year, but I should do more seriously some month things are slow, next year.

Right now, I've got something with a shepherd, a scholar, a mermaid, and a dragon. They can't walk into a bar.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Nov 2017, 19:59

Ellie wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 10:59
I did it 10 years in a row, with only 2 wins
Wait, it was actually three wins!

Frankly, the writing was all so terrible that I'm amazed I only forgot one of them.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 Nov 2017, 21:53

Someone needs to establish a National Non-Fiction Book Writing Month in, like, July. When I have time.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Nov 2017, 22:12

Most short fiction writing is traditionally done mid April.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2017, 00:03

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 22:12
Most short fiction writing is traditionally done mid April.
:)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Nov 2017, 02:19

I am way behind, as I expected—see me saying half a dozen times here, previous years, that November is the worst month for me.

But I'm in chapter two, and in my post-apocalyptic fantasy story, the protagonist is...going grocery shopping and hoping he doesn't run into the ex-fiancé who dumped him a week ago. ADVENTURE!

On the other hand, he's met one of the other main characters, so I can shift from, "Why would this random shepherd want to go on a risky adventure?" to him starting that actual risky adventure.

Also, yeah, yeah, post-apocalyptic setting 1500+ years in the future...but why did I decide to rename the days of the week? Even if it's just "directly translate the Spanish names for days of the week", it's the most weirdly hard thing to juggle in my head. I may avoid day of the week being relevant at any point again in the story. :D
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Nov 2017, 02:58

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 02:19
I am way behind, as I expected—see me saying half a dozen times here, previous years, that November is the worst month for me.

But I'm in chapter two, and in my post-apocalyptic fantasy story, the protagonist is...going grocery shopping and hoping he doesn't run into the ex-fiancé who dumped him a week ago. ADVENTURE!

On the other hand, he's met one of the other main characters, so I can shift from, "Why would this random shepherd want to go on a risky adventure?" to him starting that actual risky adventure.

Also, yeah, yeah, post-apocalyptic setting 1500+ years in the future...but why did I decide to rename the days of the week? Even if it's just "directly translate the Spanish names for days of the week", it's the most weirdly hard thing to juggle in my head. I may avoid day of the week being relevant at any point again in the story. :D
So write them in English then do a search-and-replace at the end?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Nov 2017, 03:28

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 02:58
Eric the .5b wrote:
So write them in English then do a search-and-replace at the end?
Maybe! Though, if I actually bother to mention days of the week again, I might just learn them. After researching sound shifts in languages and applying them, I'm starting to haltingly understand IPA. The basis of Latin/Spanish day names aren't as hard, just weird to translate in my head, especially since the planets aren't in order. ;)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Nov 2017, 13:05

I know better than to try producing a book in a "month" -- at this point I'll be impressed with myself if I have a working completed draft by spring -- but I finally dusted off my ancient stalled novel and have been making slow-but-steady progress after encountering a well-duh suggestion in a NaNoWriMo article -- basically, don't try to write a good first draft; write a bad first draft, then go back and make it better. Which is precisely how I write professional pieces -- my first drafts are almost always awful -- but for some reason it never occurred to me to try it here as well. (Thus far, as awful as a given section of first draft is, going back to it later and crafting it into decency hasn't been as difficult as I feared. And of course every writer knows the real fun of writing is in rewriting and revision anyay, not in first-draft production.)

Between polishing off the previous evening's bad-draft into a decent one, then writing new bad-first-draft stuff onto the end, I'm only increasing the book by 200 to 500 words per day. But compared to the previous years' output of "nothing, nada, el zilcho," that's actually pretty good.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Nov 2017, 13:36

Eric the .5b wrote:

In my vanity-novel-editing days, I would often (with just cause) criticize writers who, among other flaws, had NO FUCKING IDEA which details to include and which to skim over -- so I'd get things like (actual, non-made-up example) an entire chapter where absolutely nothing happens except the protagonist checks into a roadside motel and has an uneventful night's sleep ... then you get to the ostensibly exciting part and it's "Then I broke into the secret enemy weapons base and overpowered the guards and stole the secret weapon and smuggled it out of Russia and got back to the White House and the president gave me a medal and then I had sex with several beautiful large-breasted women in bikinis The End."

Come to find out that yeah, it's really easy to fall into that trap. I'm finding similar long-winded dreck in my horrible early-draft version of the book from grad school -- like, an entire chapter where all the protagonist does is climb to the top of a certain valley. In the new version, the entire "climb up the valley" scene takes less than a paragraph. On the other hand, various scenes to which I originally gave short shrift need to be vastly expanded -- there's no secret enemy agents, sex or sexy people in my book, but there are indeed lots of scenes where I wrote the plot-development equivalent of "Then I broke into the secret enemy weapons base and overpowered the guards and stole the secret weapon and smuggled it out of Russia and got back to the White House and the president gave me a medal and then I had sex with several beautiful large-breasted women in bikinis."