Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Pham Nuwen

Re: Video Games!

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Eric the .5b wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 13:26
Pham Nuwen wrote: 29 May 2020, 07:21
Eric the .5b wrote: 29 May 2020, 05:59 Though also the game where you can get the GTA temptation at gigascale. I play peaceful-ish societies that like to make everyone friendly with them most of the time... But I haven't used one of the cute avatars for a Devouring Swarm in the current mechanics, yet...
Yet ...
I'm actually going to try not-Devouring Swarm. I lose some bonuses, but I can still engage in diplomacy...and keep other species as livestock!
Never done a swarm yet. To busy purging all the xenos or exploiting all the xenos. The emporer protects ....
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 15:16
Eric the .5b wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 13:26
Pham Nuwen wrote: 29 May 2020, 07:21
Eric the .5b wrote: 29 May 2020, 05:59 Though also the game where you can get the GTA temptation at gigascale. I play peaceful-ish societies that like to make everyone friendly with them most of the time... But I haven't used one of the cute avatars for a Devouring Swarm in the current mechanics, yet...
Yet ...
I'm actually going to try not-Devouring Swarm. I lose some bonuses, but I can still engage in diplomacy...and keep other species as livestock!
Never done a swarm yet. To busy purging all the xenos or exploiting all the xenos. The emporer protects ....
Oh, we're totally not a swarm. We're totally a respectable polity that respects your borders...until we land and boil over your world like those mice in Australia.

Except with a taste for meat.

And hey, we broke it, we bought it. That's fair, right?

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

JasonL wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 12:07 The "how to lay out your city" aspect of civ 6 which I gather is different from previous iterations is kind of fun frustrating. There are things that don't happen until the industrial age that oops you need that exactly one hex to build but your library is there so lose all your research and so on. It's hyper specified with Wonders and areas of the city that can completely dictate your play. I'm not sure if it's a good lesson in path dependence or just a nuance only civ mavens have figured out because they know all the things they will eventually build in which order, but it's tough on a novice.

I basically wound up as a merchant empire with a megachurch (Buddhism which as we all know came from greece), because the only way I could get horses or iron in early game was to envoy the crap out of religious city states. They also stuffed me at the far northern corner of the globe with just me, city states and Germany on my continent and it was very late before I had enough navy to even see the rest of the world. All focused on city states hedging against the frisky germans.

It's fun. I like it better than Stellaris.
I dearly loved the Civ games over the years but I avoided the most recent one so far because they turn into black holes where all my time and energy disappears. Along with the Dark Souls games playing it is probably the closest insight I have of what a problem drinker goes through.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The trailer for Horizon: Forbidden West makes me want a PS5 right now
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
dhex

Post by dhex »

lego games on switch are the woooorst
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dhex wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 15:13 lego games on switch are the woooorst
Better than on Wii.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
dhex

Post by dhex »

The kid has a DC villains one and lego world's and dear lord both are so fucking boring. Maybe all the lego games suck?
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Shem

Post by Shem »

Hugh Akston wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 13:59 The trailer for Horizon: Forbidden West makes me want a PS5 right now
It looks sexy, but all I could think as I was watching was "after a thousand years, those cities should be looooooong decomposed."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Shem wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 00:49
Hugh Akston wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 13:59 The trailer for Horizon: Forbidden West makes me want a PS5 right now
It looks sexy, but all I could think as I was watching was "after a thousand years, those cities should be looooooong decomposed."
I tried to figure out what was feeding the waterfalls coming out of some of old office buildings. Did someone do a fountain conversion on them? :)

Though, yeah, aside from the death-mask vibe of some of the character's more neutral expressions (a problem game animators will probably finally solve for the Playstation 10 or so), that was gorgeous AF...I wonder how much, if any, was in-engine. Probably more than I'd expect.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

The prospect of The Last Of Us 2 has me looking at buying a console just for that game, which is dumb, but reflects how much I loved the first game.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I'm finding myself really tempted to try to play the first Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jadagul wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 11:17 I'm finding myself really tempted to try to play the first Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.
If you're referring to the OG 3/4 overhead PC Fallout, you definitely should. It's an excellent game.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dhex wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 21:48 The kid has a DC villains one and lego world's and dear lord both are so fucking boring. Maybe all the lego games suck?
The Harry Potter ones definitely have a specific kind of gameplay that ... have you tried playing stoned? They're definitely unchallenging - which I mean they're kids' games. Some of the puzzles are a little interesting, but the appeal will probably be selective for grownups.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Jadagul wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 11:17 I'm finding myself really tempted to try to play the first Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.
FO1 and FO2 are two of my favorites. They're old school turn based affairs. I would make sure to get the various fan patches and resolution mods. Both had plenty of bugs on release and their original resolutions weren't made with modern monitors in mind.

Regarding FO1 it has a funny mechanic in it that isn't really apparent playing the first time. There is both an overall time limit and some events in the game happen on a predetermined time line if the player doesn't intervene in some way. This is different than just about every RPG out there which normally give you all the time in the world to futz around doing side quests. Allowing you to save the world whenever you feel like getting to it. In FO1 you are on the clock from the get go.

FO2 is more open world and is a bigger game. It doesn't have any time limits. It's also a bit less grim than the first one and in general is a bit more humorous (some might say goofy). There's quite a few pop references scattered throughout.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Painboy wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 13:26
FO1 and FO2 are two of my favorites. They're old school turn based affairs. I would make sure to get the various fan patches and resolution mods. Both had plenty of bugs on release and their original resolutions weren't made with modern monitors in mind.

Regarding FO1 it has a funny mechanic in it that isn't really apparent playing the first time. There is both an overall time limit and some events in the game happen on a predetermined time line if the player doesn't intervene in some way. This is different than just about every RPG out there which normally give you all the time in the world to futz around doing side quests. Allowing you to save the world whenever you feel like getting to it. In FO1 you are on the clock from the get go.

FO2 is more open world and is a bigger game. It doesn't have any time limits. It's also a bit less grim than the first one and in general is a bit more humorous (some might say goofy). There's quite a few pop references scattered throughout.
Good to know!

I'd probably play in windowed mode anyway. It looks like I can run at least some of these through DOSBox.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Both Fallout 1 & 2 are also available on Steam, which would probably also give you access to mods.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Somewhat better deal on GOG, and I'm a little more confident about my ability to get it running in Linux that way.

Like, DOSBox is the _better_ alternative, because I know DOSBox works on my machine.
Shem

Post by Shem »

I'm a giant Fallout stan, but to be honest, I'd probably recommend giving FO1 a pass. It's not a bad game, but FO2 takes all the stuff FO1 tries to do and perfects it. It also aged a lot better.

As for Elder Scrolls, I wouldn't really suggest anything before Morrowind. Unless you like slogging your way through giant (seriously giant, I got lost for hours in some of them) procedurally generated dungeons for crappy loot, in which case by all means, give Daggerfall a shot.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I mean, that does actually sound kind of fun? I had a lot of fun with Might and Magic 4&5. They weren't procedurally generated but they were from the same era. (I also enjoyed 6-8 but those were a little more modern.)

I've been kind of wanting some M&M-like games to play, and I saw the Elder Scrolls screenshots and my reaction was "hey, looks right!" Though I could be wrong.

But I was originally looking at Fallout (1), and apparently it's on GOG for $10 and comes with the first two Elder Scrolls games free.
Shem

Post by Shem »

Jadagul wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 16:35 I mean, that does actually sound kind of fun? I had a lot of fun with Might and Magic 4&5. They weren't procedurally generated but they were from the same era. (I also enjoyed 6-8 but those were a little more modern.)

I've been kind of wanting some M&M-like games to play, and I saw the Elder Scrolls screenshots and my reaction was "hey, looks right!" Though I could be wrong.

But I was originally looking at Fallout (1), and apparently it's on GOG for $10 and comes with the first two Elder Scrolls games free.
Do you like Roguelike games? As I recall, Daggerfall is a bit like a Roguelike with the ability to save and a storyline.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Shem wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 20:47
Jadagul wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 16:35 I mean, that does actually sound kind of fun? I had a lot of fun with Might and Magic 4&5. They weren't procedurally generated but they were from the same era. (I also enjoyed 6-8 but those were a little more modern.)

Do you like Roguelike games? As I recall, Daggerfall is a bit like a Roguelike with the ability to save and a storyline.
That sounds like exactly what I want. :P

With the possible exception of, I like being able to potentially outlevel the setting, and I think the Elder Scrolls games generally have enemies scale with your level?

But yes, "Not-super-punishing roguelike with a story and game saves" sounds great.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jadagul wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 20:52 I like being able to potentially outlevel the setting
Tell us about it.
Shem

Post by Shem »

Jadagul wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 20:52 With the possible exception of, I like being able to potentially outlevel the setting, and I think the Elder Scrolls games generally have enemies scale with your level?
Those particular ones do to a much heavier degree than later ones, yes.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Another pretty decent older game series is the Gothic franchise. Fantasy RPG in a fairly open-world setting.I enjoyed I & II and made it about halfway through III before getting sidetracked with something else.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Shem wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 01:40
Jadagul wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 20:52 With the possible exception of, I like being able to potentially outlevel the setting, and I think the Elder Scrolls games generally have enemies scale with your level?
Those particular ones do to a much heavier degree than later ones, yes.
The enemies scale with your level more in the earlier ones than the later ones, you mean?

One of my favorite bits is the bit towards the end where your character is so powerful that he can just trivialize most of the encounters, especially the old ones. That's like half the fun. :P