Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Video Games!

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2019, 13:32

Gah! I just found out Baldur's Gate 3 is being developed by Larian, the Divinity OS 2 people. Gah! Yes pls.

Shem

Post by Shem » 17 Jun 2019, 21:49

Painboy wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 12:11
Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 16:15
Painboy wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 20:55
dhex wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 15:57
Keanu in cyberpunk 2077 doesn't make me more excited about the game bc that initial game play demo was not too hot. I am reserving judgements and a lot can happen in the next nine months.
I don't know, I'm pretty sure you couldn't have cast a better Johnny Silverhand. Although I'm kind of curious as to his age.
Note that he flickers out for a moment right after he appears. (I missed this on first watch, too, among the other signs of the guy's hardware rebooting.) He's apparently a digital ghost of some kind in the protagonist's head, according to other press.
Ah I've only seen stills and haven't watched the teaser. That would be very cyberpunk though.
And, even if he's not, Keanu is only like 15 years off being 70 himself. If they can make Harrison Ford *not* look older than Methuselah through movie magic, they ought to be able to artificially age someone.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 17 Jun 2019, 22:11

I bought Crypt o the NecroDancer a couple days ago when it was on sale.

It is really, really fun. I would say it's great for playing on short breaks except then I do like ten runs in a row.

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Jun 2019, 13:12

The new vampire bloodlines whatever game looks not super great at least in terms of combat. Not a dealkiller and it's early etc etc
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Jun 2019, 13:44

To be fair, the combat system wasn't really the draw of the original game, either. It was workmanlike at best, and that was after massive amounts of fan tweaks. The story was what made it successful.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Jun 2019, 14:03

But still its 2019 we should be able to do two things.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 Jun 2019, 16:38

Active RPG combat is always a tricky balance. You want stats and stuff to matter but you also want to have player skill matter as well. It's very easy for those things to step on each other's toes.

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Jun 2019, 17:10

Shem wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 13:44
To be fair, the combat system wasn't really the draw of the original game, either. It was workmanlike at best, and that was after massive amounts of fan tweaks. The story was what made it successful.
True and that part looked deece
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2019, 17:37

Painboy wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 16:38
Active RPG combat is always a tricky balance. You want stats and stuff to matter but you also want to have player skill matter as well. It's very easy for those things to step on each other's toes.
Or the only "play" becoming the meta-game of optimizing your character for combat.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Jun 2019, 10:16

I think KC:D has found the perfect balance between stats, player skill, and story telling. Extremely well-done game from a KS funded studio.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Jun 2019, 11:33

Jasper wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 10:16
I think KC:D has found the perfect balance between stats, player skill, and story telling. Extremely well-done game from a KS funded studio.
Really? I might try it then. I thought Divinity OS2 was very good in this regard, but combat was turn based. I think very good turn based is better in most cases than very good action combat being integrated into RPG settings. Action combat is pretty limited by the choice to throw things at you to make it "fun" - and it all winds up settling into dodge dodge block hit special the end.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 19 Jun 2019, 11:59

Jasper wrote:
I've been wanting to check that one out, but I have so many RPGs in front of it still in the backlog.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Jun 2019, 12:14

JasonL wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 11:33
Jasper wrote:
Really? I might try it then. I thought Divinity OS2 was very good in this regard, but combat was turn based. I think very good turn based is better in most cases than very good action combat being integrated into RPG settings. Action combat is pretty limited by the choice to throw things at you to make it "fun" - and it all winds up settling into dodge dodge block hit special the end.
I suspect at very high levels, the action combat in KC:D might get repetitive, since they do use a combat-combo as level perks mechanic. I'll admit to being only about halfway through the main story line, and I did stop playing for a few months during winter, but have since picked it back up and am really enjoying it again. In combat, there's no bandaging, eating, or drinking allowed. If you're tired and already injured and get jumped in the forest, you can easily be killed. Early on, it's very difficult, but it isn't insane Pathfinder difficulty. I found that game just frustrating.

I think KC:D might be a better game than Skyrim. And I loved Skyrim.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 20 Jun 2019, 09:01

Jasper wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 12:14
If you're tired and already injured and get jumped in the forest, you can easily be killed.
Ha - this happened to me last night while playing. Got jumped on a trail by 4 desperate farmers in clothes and armed with staves, pitchforks, and long knives. I think I killed one, but my screen clouded up with the blood-spatter of being injured and I was killed pretty quickly afterwards despite wearing chainmail, bascinet, plate greaves and gauntlets, and armed with sword & shield.

It was essentially the scene in Excalibur of Percival being assaulted by peasants and driven into the river during the quest! :lol: :lol:

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 06 Jul 2019, 16:32

Witcher 3. Why did I start this damn game? I'm 40 hours in and I'm only level 15. It's open world and there are question marks all over the map. What am I not supposed to check out everyone of them?

I'm loving it so far but I'm feeling like a former heroin addict who just wanted a fix for old times and then days later wakes up in a different state in the backseat of a car that isn't his.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2019, 17:26

Painboy wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 16:32
Witcher 3. Why did I start this damn game? I'm 40 hours in and I'm only level 15. It's open world and there are question marks all over the map. What am I not supposed to check out everyone of them?

I'm loving it so far but I'm feeling like a former heroin addict who just wanted a fix for old times and then days later wakes up in a different state in the backseat of a car that isn't his.
As long as you still have your clothes on, you can still walk away.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jul 2019, 21:10

Jasper wrote:
Ok, so, I got this game and ... is there a part where you actually play a game? No exaggeration it's been 70% or more cut scenes and dialogue with mini games interspersed like the run away on a horse which for some reason won't turn right while galloping game. I have not really done anything to speak of 3 hours in.

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Jul 2019, 21:27

Painboy wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 16:32

My pc died just as I was to start the last dlc, which I hadn't gotten to the first time around when it came out. It's super good.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 15 Jul 2019, 12:42

JasonL wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 21:10
Jasper wrote:
Ok, so, I got this game and ... is there a part where you actually play a game? No exaggeration it's been 70% or more cut scenes and dialogue with mini games interspersed like the run away on a horse which for some reason won't turn right while galloping game. I have not really done anything to speak of 3 hours in.
Heh - The intro takes a while. The stuff in Skallitz is all background and light tutorial. When you get to Talmberg, it opens up a tiny bit, but it's still on rails on what you can and can't do. You basically have to follow the main storyline quests back to Skallitz.

Only after you return to Skallitz and attempt to resolve the objective there, do the opening credits roll and you actually begin the open-world game.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Jul 2019, 13:08

Coulda put this in a couple different places but

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Jul 2019, 15:26

Jasper wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Heh - The intro takes a while. The stuff in Skallitz is all background and light tutorial. When you get to Talmberg, it opens up a tiny bit, but it's still on rails on what you can and can't do. You basically have to follow the main storyline quests back to Skallitz.

Only after you return to Skallitz and attempt to resolve the objective there, do the opening credits roll and you actually begin the open-world game.
I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get the first set of armor. I don’t have lock picks and everything is locked and it seems like you get arrested immediately when you steal anyway.

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Jul 2019, 15:38

JasonL wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:26
Jasper wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Jasper wrote:

I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get the first set of armor. I don’t have lock picks and everything is locked and it seems like you get arrested immediately when you steal anyway.
We just started playing this recently ourselves, I had somehow missed that you guys had been talking about it and we just happened upon it in the Xbox store. Admittedly it's really Dubs on this one primarily, and he's definitely been a bit frustrated from time to time, but it also seems pretty awesome.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 15 Jul 2019, 16:28

JasonL wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:26
Jasper wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Trying to escape Talmberg Castle? It's tricky. The gate guard offers one solution, which it sounds like you're trying. There is at least one other ploy, which is very simple, as long as you can avoid the town guards patrolling the roads.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Jul 2019, 16:57

Well the lady whssername and the one guard offer a strategy, the same strategy, but it seems to hinge on having lockpick and not being immediately pinched

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 15 Jul 2019, 17:12

Yeah, I looked to another source for my inspiration. A different king, and his band of knights, and their strategy when things got a little too rough in their quest for The Holy Grail.