Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jake

Re: Video Games!

Post by Jake » 08 Jun 2018, 17:02

JD wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 16:13
In the most extreme case, we should perhaps nationalize Steam, to hold it more accountable in this legal sense.
Sure, dude (not JD, but nameless quoted dude). Because what you really want is for the Trump administration to decide what games are okay for people to have and what games aren't, is it?

The future is a copy of Pro Bass Fishing 2018 stomping on a copy of This War of Mine, forever.
Last edited by Jake on 08 Jun 2018, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Jun 2018, 17:06

Jake wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 17:02
The future is a copy of Pro Bass Fishing 2018 stomping on a copy of This War of Mine, forever.
:shock:
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2018, 18:08

i'd play that.

i don't know if the "nationalize steam" people are serious or just clickbaiting/regular 'baiting.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Jun 2018, 18:08

JD wrote:
This is only kind of tangentially video-game related and really more of a speech and culture issue, but I thought I'd put it here...

The flap over Valve's content-regulation policy on Steam is producing some interesting discussions, but also a lot of crap, and it's really bringing out the fascist side of some people, particularly on the left. It's interesting to see that while some game devs/fans on the left have a problem with games with queer and/or overtly sexual content being banned, their main fear is that allowing free speech will enable actual fascists to take over a space.
I was going to post that article myself. The attitude of it is frightening. I'm not sure I've seen such a cavalier attitude from someone on the left about censoring free speech. The author acts as if determining what's appropriate or not is obvious and Valve is just being lazy and ducking it's social responsibility.

Shem

Post by Shem » 08 Jun 2018, 18:47

Painboy wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 18:08
JD wrote:
This is only kind of tangentially video-game related and really more of a speech and culture issue, but I thought I'd put it here...

The flap over Valve's content-regulation policy on Steam is producing some interesting discussions, but also a lot of crap, and it's really bringing out the fascist side of some people, particularly on the left. It's interesting to see that while some game devs/fans on the left have a problem with games with queer and/or overtly sexual content being banned, their main fear is that allowing free speech will enable actual fascists to take over a space.
I was going to post that article myself. The attitude of it is frightening. I'm not sure I've seen such a cavalier attitude from someone on the left about censoring free speech. The author acts as if determining what's appropriate or not is obvious and Valve is just being lazy and ducking it's social responsibility.
I can't figure out whether I should be afraid of the implications or gobsmacked at the stupidity of the argumentation.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Jun 2018, 21:10

The free speech left must be hanging out with the pro trade right. Somewhere.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jun 2018, 21:22

JasonL wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 21:10
The free speech left must be hanging out with the pro trade right. Somewhere.
The Gulch!
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

JD

Post by JD » 09 Jun 2018, 09:04

Jake wrote:
Because what you really want is for the Trump administration to decide what games are okay for people to have and what games aren't, is it?
This kind of argument does come up in a lot of spheres, frankly - people say "the government should control X" and when you point out that they disagree with a lot of what the government says and does right now, they basically add "and the government needs to be good" ("good" by their definition, obviously) - which is fundamentally no different from saying "People should be controlled and I should be the one making the decisions about how they are controlled." But of course in practice you don't get to be the one making the decision. For example, when Foddy says government "still has the moral legitimacy that comes from being chosen by the people...So yeah it is a lot better for this kind of thing", what would he say to a hypothetical Kansas Video Game Censorship Board that wouldn't permit games depicting abortion, homosexuality, etc.? Would that still have "moral legitimacy" to him?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Jun 2018, 10:22

That's why I generally lean toward clickbait rather than serious consideration. It's a little too stupid.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 09 Jun 2018, 14:05

Also these days people's definition of monopoly seems to be: Any service people use a lot.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jun 2018, 14:11

Painboy wrote:Also these days people's definition of monopoly seems to be: Any service people use a lot.
Yes. If people like it, it should be considered a public good and ideally treated like a utility.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jun 2018, 14:46

JasonL wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 14:11
Painboy wrote:Also these days people's definition of monopoly seems to be: Any service people use a lot.
Yes. If people like it, it should be considered a public good and ideally treated like a utility.
People like sex. This incel for one would totally support it being considered a public good and treated like a utility.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Jun 2018, 22:01

JD wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 09:04
Jake wrote:
Because what you really want is for the Trump administration to decide what games are okay for people to have and what games aren't, is it?
This kind of argument does come up in a lot of spheres, frankly - people say "the government should control X" and when you point out that they disagree with a lot of what the government says and does right now, they basically add "and the government needs to be good" ("good" by their definition, obviously) - which is fundamentally no different from saying "People should be controlled and I should be the one making the decisions about how they are controlled."
"...or someone who thinks enough like me that I'm cool with that."

Let me just say "Politics" as if I were saying "The Aristocrats!"
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Jun 2018, 12:29

Dear lord. I knew there was some sort of kerfuffle going on about Valve late last week, but couldn't be arsed to look into it.

These people are idiots.

The "history shows" argument made me LOL.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Jun 2018, 13:38

New cyberpunk 2077 trailer is neato.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 11 Jun 2018, 13:44

These ultra offensive games wouldn't sell 100 copies if the outrage media complex left them alone. The guy from itch (which I've never heard of?) is right: if customers don't want to see politically uncurated games, they have alternatives. Shit, Twitch Prime gave me two dozen indyish games (Gone Home was one, I'm playing Red Banner Saga right now) for free.

If they don't want other people to play offensive games, they can pry my gifted copy of Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad? from my cold dead hands.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 11 Jun 2018, 13:46

Having never played Oblivion or Skyrim, I might buy TES VI to see what's up, but only if they've updated the engine.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Jun 2018, 14:43

dhex wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 13:38
New cyberpunk 2077 trailer is neato.
Same guys that did the Witcher series. So I have faith that this will be pretty good (although you may want to wait a month or two when it's released so they can iron out the launch bugs).

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Jun 2018, 18:46

I was impressed by the Cyberpunk trailer, though it was a little weird to see a place name like Night City from a deeply cheesy RPG of my youth turned into something that actually looked cool.

The Devolver presentation was pretty amusing (NSFW, short enough to bother linking).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2018, 10:23

Fallout 76 looks like a game I don’t want to play. Can we just have narrative single player RPGs still be a thing pls? Do you have to turn everything into multi player base raids?

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Jun 2018, 11:36

JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 10:23
Fallout 76 looks like a game I don’t want to play. Can we just have narrative single player RPGs still be a thing pls? Do you have to turn everything into multi player base raids?
My household would like a newsletter subscription please
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 12 Jun 2018, 13:16

nicole wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 11:36
JasonL wrote:
My household would like a newsletter subscription please
I can't quite agree enough to subscribe. I think the backlash against Fallout 76 being multiplayer is mainly because the franchise has been SP up until this point. The complainers aren't really arguing about lack of SP RPGs, they're complaining that Fallout 76 isn't going to be one.

I'm disappointed it won't have a SP campaign to play, but to rend garments that there are no SP RPGs on the horizon is absurd.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Jun 2018, 13:20

JasonL wrote:
Single player, story driven Fallout? Why would you want that when you could PREORDER OUR NEW FREEMIUM ONLINE MULTIPLAYER MOBILE GAME AND PLAY IN VR ON THE SUBWAY AND IN BUSINESS MEETINGS LIKE ADULTS TOTALLY DO AMIRITE? YOU MAY ALL CLAP NOW.

JD

Post by JD » 12 Jun 2018, 13:38

Dangerman wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 13:20
Single player, story driven Fallout? Why would you want that when you could PREORDER OUR NEW FREEMIUM ONLINE MULTIPLAYER MOBILE GAME AND PLAY IN VR ON THE SUBWAY
Actually, that "on the subway" bit reminds me of one of my recent gripes: apps of all kinds, including games, that are actually only very thin presentation layers over Web services. This renders them either unusable or unreliable on the subway. I get that you need connectivity for certain things, but FFS, developers, please consider that not all users have perfectly reliable connections. It is not fun when you say, "Alright, just one more hit on the big boss and I should have him - what? "connection failure"? During a single-player match?! I would rage-quit but I think you just did it for me."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Jun 2018, 13:43

Games are services now. You won't buy/license games anymore, you will use freemium or subscription game services.

BUT YOU CAN USE THEM IN PORTRAIT MODE SO NOBODY AT WORK CAN TELL!