Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

Re: Video Games!

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Aug 2016, 16:05

JD wrote:Based on all that I've read, No Man's Sky sounds like a fascinating environment, but the designers didn't actually make it a very good game. One review I read called it "a mining simulator, set in an infinite universe."
Some reviewers are really into it but say, "ask me in a month."
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Aug 2016, 20:46

The new "Russia" map for Unturned debuted over the weekend. The deets, according to two excited Swedes. It's humongous and looks very interesting (and marks Nelson Sexton actually not doing the whole thing single-handedly for the first time). I'll probably do some exploring on that with the friend; that there's a set new-spawn region won't hurt at all.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Aug 2016, 20:50

dx:md unlocks tomorrow. i will first play it most likely on saturday, as i'm on the road until then.

i didn't ask for this.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Aug 2016, 17:05

or not, because auth servers are having some kind of hissy fit in most parts of the u.s. (honolulu and canada work fine, tho.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

JD

Post by JD » 27 Aug 2016, 19:24

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
JD wrote:Based on all that I've read, No Man's Sky sounds like a fascinating environment, but the designers didn't actually make it a very good game. One review I read called it "a mining simulator, set in an infinite universe."
Some reviewers are really into it but say, "ask me in a month."
This guy played through to the "ending" (as much as there is such a thing) and his review includes phrases like
No Man's Sky's Futile Atlas Ending Embodies Everything Wrong With The Game
Who on earth designed a questline to deliberately screw over players like this? Is this some sort of “ha-ha” lesson about how we shouldn’t follow game objectives and just take our own path?
I knew I would probably be disappointed by the Atlas and/or center of the galaxy endings of this game, but even setting the bar pretty low, the way this played out in such confusing, lackluster way still surprised me. I understand this isn’t a game with a terribly coherent narrative, but this is a new level of anti-climax that I’ve never really seen before.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 29 Aug 2016, 12:55

There's a great podcast where the guys are like

"Can you imagine if there's nothing at the center? Just a huge 'fuck you' and you restart the game?"

Then they all laugh at how bad that would be.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Aug 2016, 13:19

Dangerman wrote:There's a great podcast where the guys are like

"Can you imagine if there's nothing at the center? Just a huge 'fuck you' and you restart the game?"

I wonder if anyone told those guys about real life after they recorded that.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Aug 2016, 20:09

Hugh Akston wrote:
Dangerman wrote:There's a great podcast where the guys are like

I wonder if anyone told those guys about real life after they recorded that.
That would be the difference between life and a game.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 31 Aug 2016, 11:23

BTW, the Honest Game Trailers trailer/review of NMS is pretty funny.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Sep 2016, 12:03

New overwatch map. It's pharah and widow sniper paradise.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Sep 2016, 09:10

Gamemaker: Studio Pro and the exporting plugins for Windows, iOS, Android and HTML 5 are on a Humble Bundle for $15 today. Usually this would run for $150 plus $100 for each of those plugins: https://www.humblebundle.com/gamemaker-bundle
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 06 Oct 2016, 17:10

A couple of upcoming games.

Dishonored 2. The first one was great and it looks like they made the play area larger.

Wasteland 3 teaser. It's trying to get funding through Fig which allows both pledges and "investments." Curious to see how that works.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 15 Oct 2016, 12:01

JasonL wrote:
Dangerman wrote:Offensive Junkrat is pretty hard to justify.
and yet, oddly a popular thing people like to do ...
Junkrat is good at spamming indirect fire at defenders who have posted up as a group behind a choke, or if you want to force someone to give up a hallway, but if you're trying to 1v1 ppl or flank, u r rong.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Oct 2016, 13:36

Dangerman wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Dangerman wrote:Offensive Junkrat is pretty hard to justify.
and yet, oddly a popular thing people like to do ...
Junkrat is good at spamming indirect fire at defenders who have posted up as a group behind a choke, or if you want to force someone to give up a hallway, but if you're trying to 1v1 ppl or flank, u r rong.
He can also be that point-clearing guy with a Riptire so your attackers can get on it, but I'll agree he's pretty limited offensively.

Of course, in the crowd I play in (people who aren't that good) nobody really cares.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Oct 2016, 14:01

Great bastion counter, but that's the only time I'll do it.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 20 Oct 2016, 18:44

This was the game I was working on at PopCap for the last year and half and if finally launched worldwide. It's a lot of fun if you like card games like Magic and such (one of the designers even used to be at Wizards of the Coast).

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 19 Nov 2016, 18:49

The whole video is worth a watch. Games with persistent, sandbox worlds are pretty amazing.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 24 Nov 2016, 13:02

VR "treadmill"

Kind of neat, and it only costs $700, but that doesn't include the space you have to dedicate to house it.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 25 Nov 2016, 11:13

Painboy wrote:VR "treadmill"

Kind of neat, and it only costs $700, but that doesn't include the space you have to dedicate to house it.
It appears to only be a little larger than a real treadmill, at most. Assuming it is easy to get in and out of, and that arm doesn't break easily (and maybe can hold your weight), I could see it being a must have.

That said, evidently VR FPS is very different from regular FPS, enough to turn off regular FPS fans, it may not have a built in market.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 25 Nov 2016, 16:01

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Painboy wrote:VR "treadmill"

It appears to only be a little larger than a real treadmill, at most. Assuming it is easy to get in and out of, and that arm doesn't break easily (and maybe can hold your weight), I could see it being a must have.

That said, evidently VR FPS is very different from regular FPS, enough to turn off regular FPS fans, it may not have a built in market.
That is actually one of the biggest hurdles VR is going to have. There has kind of been this idea for a while that once the headset display issue was solved all you have to do is hook up a FPS and you're off. The problem with that is the amount of effort needed to push a few buttons and move a thumbstick or a mouse around a bit is nothing compared to standing up and trying to pantomime the actions you want in game. Even if you are only required to do low speed or half movements it's going to get exhausting quickly.

I spent a couple months doing some Kinect testing a few years ago. Even with games that were relatively slow, and with few required precise or fast movements, we often had to rotate in shifts as it was a workout. My knees were killing me after only a few days of testing and I was in pretty good shape at the time. You just can't sit down and play a game for a few hours like you can with a controller or mouse and keyboard. On top of that FPSs have been tuned to be played assuming a high level of stability in the aiming device. If you are going to be using a fake weapon like in the video or even hand controls your aim is going to be garbage. If not right away certainly after a few hundred shots when your arms are burning from all the lactic acid built up trying to hold the weapon steady.

This doesn't even cover all the movement that is often asked in these games. While Assasin's Creed is a third person game, think if someone made something similar with a a FP perspective. Assuming the movements required were only lesser analogs of the character's movements, most people would be out of breath after the first couple of rooftop runs. Open world games are great when all you have to do is hold down a button to run. They're not going to be so fun though if you have to actually walk across these vast expanses.

I think VR is going to have to concentrate on tight extremely detailed areas with every encounter be significant if they want make a successful FPS. Where the best use for VR is going to be early on is in games with driving or flying where the player is in a stationary cockpit that does the moving. It would be interesting, and a little poetic, if sims came back into fashion for awhile since they were often the big games in the early days of personal computers.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Nov 2016, 22:53

I suspect VR gaming will do better in the niche of wearing the goggles for a three-dimensional view while using more normal controls. Full immersion is just too limiting.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Nov 2016, 14:38

Just using your head to look, while your hands mouse or use a controller, seems to give the best bang for buck. Arma players and flight sim users have been using head tracking for this for a while: your head can move your vision independently while your mouse controls your aiming. I don't think full body VR will become popular, although better haptics in the controllers will be important to mediate the feedback.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 26 Nov 2016, 15:56

Dangerman wrote:Just using your head to look, while your hands mouse or use a controller, seems to give the best bang for buck. Arma players and flight sim users have been using head tracking for this for a while: your head can move your vision independently while your mouse controls your aiming. I don't think full body VR will become popular, although better haptics in the controllers will be important to mediate the feedback.
Yeah I even considered the head tracking stuff briefly. That works because you still maintain your peripheral vision "anchoring" what you see. The VR rig shuts that out.

One of the problems they have been having in that regard is that FPS games almost always have instant acceleration which when wearing a VR rig can be quickly disorienting and even nauseating for most people. I haven't played with latest ARMA but I know they like to make animation more realistic so they might have a slight delay that would help with that. It's all these little things that have to get figured out before it gets adopted by the larger populace.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Dec 2016, 17:59

I'm pretty sure my Naga Hex mouse is dying. I'm looking at the Deathadder Chroma Elite as my next buy, but I'm open to suggestions. I want less buttons, good hand feel for med/lg hands, best sensor.

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Dec 2016, 21:41

I have a death adder. Dumb name, good mouse. Wired version. Large hands.