Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: Video Games!

Post by dhex » 18 Oct 2010, 15:17

fallout: new vegas: tomorrow: wayne newton
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2010, 15:35

Ah, the NES. The console that resurrected the console gaming industry. Good times, good times.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Oct 2010, 15:39

Pish-posh! Here's my first electronic gaming system:

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2010, 15:50

Breaking News: Minecraft still owns me. Hard. Spent a lazy chunk of yesterday and a little bit of Saturday starting a new world for part of my "What's the easiest, best first-night shelter?" research*, then turned the fortified hillside into a earthen step pyramid, then faced it with re-melted stone. Since the steps are 3x2, I can gander the perimeter, then hop off at any point, not having to hit the ground near a critter. That is, if I'm not just merrily sniping it with my bow.

Mind, I did discover that critters can randomly climb ladders. I think it's a movement fluke, because ladders are generally described as monster-proof.

I'm looking forward to the big Halloween update, though I'm leery of the whole "having to re-light torches" thing, even if all your existing torches become eternal lanterns. Getting the iron ore for flint and steel is such a pain, early on. Heck, on the world I've built the pyramid on, I've yet to find any iron...

* Results of my first experiment: Ever considered just harvesting a few trees, then pillar-jumping 20-30 meters up and building a platform at the top, then the next day chop your way down and then add ladders and such? Well, it works great until a bunch of creepers get a hunch and huddle down at the bottom of the pillar that is your only exit. Then...you're kinda screwed.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Oct 2010, 16:29

not to mention what happens if you put torches on a wood structure. how do you relight that without burning your house down?

i keep building towers because it makes sense and it's the only way i can link my settlements together. right now if i die i'm straight up fucked because i have no idea which direction to travel in from the spawn point.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Jake

Post by Jake » 18 Oct 2010, 16:57

dhex, have you constructed a compass? With one of those, you can make your way back to your spawn point (they point toward your spawn point, instead of pointing toward north), leaving a trail of torches or cobblestone blocks or something as you go. Then, when you die, you can follow the trail from your spawn point to your settlement.
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

JD

Post by JD » 18 Oct 2010, 17:06

Eric: Yeah, I too am short on iron and am leery of the new torches/lanterns split. I suppose torches are a bit too cheap and overpowered now, but still... Ladders: what I've read is that mobs are theoretically capable of climbing ladders (in that there's no explicit prevention) but right now their path detection is sufficiently crappy that they basically can't do it.

Me, I've just been doing some fairly routine mining and improvements. I made a "whirlpool" in my back yard; now anything that wanders in there tends to get trapped. (The currents shove you towards a part of the pool that's too deep to climb out of. You can wade/climb out, but mobs don't seem to be that smart/strong.) The occasional chicken gets trapped in there; what's weird is that they seem to die after a while, because I'll look and the chicken isn't there anymore, but there are some feathers.

Doing some farming so I can have regular bread supplies; also went around putting torches in grassy areas to encourage pig- and cow-spawning. Need to make a boat so I can get around the coastline better. (Idea for first night - make a boat, then spend the night out at sea?) I enclosed the roof of my house, built a staircase up to the new roof (with battlements), and even put a "balcony" on the second floor, ringed with fence. Hmm, maybe I should make the balcony run all the way around the building...wraparound deck would be pretty cool.

Extended one of my mines and found some pretty amazing scenes - a HUGE underground waterfall, a small cavern way below ground with a stream running through it, and then a big cavern which turned out to be full of monsters. This has been my problem with mining so far: eventually I find a cavern, but it's so packed with mobs I can't do much but turn around and run. I died in the cavern once, which cheesed me off. Right now about all I can do is progress far enough to peer down the stairs at the cavern, where I can see shapes dimly moving around. (There seems to be some faint light - lava, maybe?) I am contemplating taking some gunpowder I have and making TNT with it; that ought to fix those SOBs. Alternately, I could get a bucket of lava and make a lava-fall into their cavern...HOW YOU LIKE THEM APPLES, CREEPERS? Or maybe water and try to flood the cavern and drown them? Not sure how I'd drain the water afterwards, though. Anybody have any experience using TNT or fire? I have flint, so I could make a flint and steel.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2010, 17:10

dhex wrote:i keep building towers because it makes sense and it's the only way i can link my settlements together. right now if i die i'm straight up fucked because i have no idea which direction to travel in from the spawn point.
Towers with burning logs or whatnot at the top are awesome for getting your bearings.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2010, 17:11

JD wrote:Me, I've just been doing some fairly routine mining and improvements. I made a "whirlpool" in my back yard; now anything that wanders in there tends to get trapped. (The currents shove you towards a part of the pool that's too deep to climb out of. You can wade/climb out, but mobs don't seem to be that smart/strong.) The occasional chicken gets trapped in there; what's weird is that they seem to die after a while, because I'll look and the chicken isn't there anymore, but there are some feathers.
I've seen entire structures based on drowning mobs that home in on you (as well as wandering animals) and funneling the drops to you. Haven't managed to get one working, yet.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Oct 2010, 17:20

So, in a fit of nostalgia/procrastination I downloaded a Sega Master System emulator so I could play Phantasy Star (and yes, I purchased an original ROM from Sega a long time ago). Then I decided to be cute, so I got a hex editor and looked for instructions on how to cheat in Phantasy Star (I like the game, but I don't want to spend hours killing stuff to accumulate gold). I tried to set all of my HP to 255, gold (mesetas, in PS lingo) to 65536, levels to 30 (max in the game), etc. Well, when I killed my first monster I got close to 16384 experience points (not exactly 16384, or even 16383, some other number that I can't recall) and it still takes several fights to gain a level. Weird. Thing is, I didn't edit the XP values of the monsters, just my starting XP value. Also, all of the monsters seem to be worth about 16000 gold as well.

I need to surf some more and find some better cheat codes.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2010, 17:23

JD wrote:Doing some farming so I can have regular bread supplies; also went around putting torches in grassy areas to encourage pig- and cow-spawning.
I've got an incomplete floor in my pyramid that's thoroughly-lot and has grassy dirt for much of the floor. I've turned around in there to suddenly see that five cows have spawned in behind me. Useful, but weird.

The boat idea really intrigues me. I think you'd just have to make sure you were more than a skeleton's bowshot from shallow water - anything else would drown if completely underwater that long, I think.

I'm planning to clear a cave partially by use of a couple of TNT blocks, but I've only played with them on multi-player servers. We turned a copy of my main world into a bombed-out, lava-strewn hellworld with a B-52 wing or ten's complement of TNT. While the videos are funny, ignore the folks who've put hundreds or thousands of units in big piles and set them off - most of the destructive potential is wasted, since it's only modeling damage from a certain distance from the detonating blocks. They crash their servers for destruction they could manage with much less explosive.

For efficient destruction, put two in a stack, then space out additional TNT in similar two-unit stacks (or just single units) two or three spaces away in the 8 directions. Hit the top one in the center stack, run. The first blast digs dirt out beneath and triggers the countdown on the others, which causes them to stop levitating. They plummet to the bottom of the freshly-formed crater, then detonate. The craters this method forms are quite satisfying and on the deep side. (I'm actually going to use a single two-unit stack to reach that cave I mentioned above while minimizing the damage to the rest of the island it's on.)

We should take screenshots or videos so we can share our handiwork. :)

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2010, 17:25

Also, I've created a Minecraft thread so we don't choke out all other video game discussion: http://www.grylliade.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=350

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 18 Oct 2010, 18:48

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Pish-posh! Here's my first electronic gaming system:

Oh, that takes me back.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Oct 2010, 21:27

I went from an Atari 5200 at age 8 to a PS2 at age 28, skipping the whole NES thing because console gaming wasn't geared toward teenagers (or adults) back then. (did have beaucoup games for the C-64, then shifted over the PC gaming in college).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 19 Oct 2010, 09:21

I felt old when Nintendo came out.

Actually, it wasn't so much feeling old as it was that I have never had the slightest interest in playing video games and can't understand why anyone does.

This leads to a cultural separation (including apparently with the grylliaders) that looks a lot like an age gap.

The gaming thread is never read by me, so if y'all want to say mean things about me that's the place to do it. :)

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 19 Oct 2010, 10:45

Isaac Bartram wrote:

Actually, it wasn't so much feeling old as it was that I have never had the slightest interest in playing video games and can't understand why anyone does.

This leads to a cultural separation (including apparently with the grylliaders) that looks a lot like an age gap.

The gaming thread is never read by me, so if y'all want to say mean things about me that's the place to do it. :)
Nah. That's what the super double secret "Say bad things about Isaac" thread is for.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Oct 2010, 11:44

Isaac Bartram wrote:

+ 1. Or almost. I despise shooter games and seriously suspect they cause (increased) mental retardation. Sandbox games, adventure games (sadly almost extinct now) and even sports simulation games I get even if I have little interest in playing most of them.

I loved pre-graphic text only games like the Zork series in the 80s because they were mentally challenging, different from anything before them and they stimulated the imagination (as books do and movies don't). I also became addicted to Trade Wars in my early online pre-WWW days for largely the same reasons.

DOOM and every other first person shooter game I've ever seen? No interest at all.

I kinda get the interest in that mining game people here are playing and talking about, but I have too many ways of wasting time as it is.

Shem

Post by Shem » 19 Oct 2010, 17:11

Isaac's comments make me think of how my grandfather would have responded to Minecraft; "I moved to California so I'd never have to go into a mine again, and you spend your time playing a game about it!"
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JD

Post by JD » 19 Oct 2010, 20:18

D.A. Ridgely wrote: I despise shooter games and seriously suspect they cause (increased) mental retardation.
DOOM and every other first person shooter game I've ever seen? No interest at all.
Some of us like the adrenalin hit, I think. And the competitive aspect, in multiplayer.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 19 Oct 2010, 20:35

I haven't really played a video game since the original Quake. But it was a lot of fun, and a nice tension-reliever, to come home from work and play that. To run and hide and shoot monsters with shotguns and rockets, or blow them up with grenades. I spent hours upon hours doing that.

Heck, I even spent way too much time playing that stupid "shoot Osama in the convenience store" arcade-style online Flash game.

I really would like to get acquainted with the newer games like Halo and Call of Duty. And Minecraft looks like loads of fun. I'm sure I could spend hours and hours and hours with those.

But I'm already too skilled at procrastination, and I've got too many other things I should take care of before taking up another hobby like that. Maybe later.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 19 Oct 2010, 22:37

JD wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote: I despise shooter games and seriously suspect they cause (increased) mental retardation.
Some of us like the adrenalin hit, I think. And the competitive aspect, in multiplayer.
I hate FPS, but there is research suggesting it increases spatial awareness, especially in women.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Oct 2010, 04:00

The Venn overlap between online FPS players and retards is entirely coincidental.

EDIT: I hate them too. But the hybrid RPG/Shooters like Fallout 3 and Oblivion are worth the effort.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Oct 2010, 11:00

Hugh Akston wrote:
The Venn overlap between online FPS players and retards is entirely coincidental.

EDIT: I hate them too. But the hybrid RPG/Shooters like Fallout 3 and Oblivion are worth the effort.
But Venn diagrams are confusing!

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Oct 2010, 11:54

I like FPSes. Halo was ehn, but I liked the last few installments in the Battlefield series...aside from Bad Company 2's propensity to crash regularly on my computer. My current sneak-around-and-try-to-snipe-and-outflank-the-hopped-up-twelve-year-olds thing is Call of Duty 4.

I think my first exposure to video games was an old Pong set. My second was Berserk on an Atari 2600 set up for demos in a Woolsworth. I was intrigued, and I've enjoyed the better games on computers on and consoles since.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Oct 2010, 12:13

Isaac Bartram wrote:

Can't never read this thread if you responded to a comment in it. :)

A similar gap for me is football. I don't much understand football interest. Watching American football is like watching a sporting match directed by someone with a padding fetish who loses interest in the game every 30 seconds or so to look around the stadium, see what the coaches are doing, switch to some talking heads, etc. I'd rather watch Aussie rules football, and its rules seem to be weird simply for the sake of being weird. :)