Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Video Games!

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Sep 2010, 13:51

dhex wrote:minecraft is eating my soul.

minecraft.net
I let another friend lead me and two other friends down that dark pit of addiction last night.

(Well, it's only dark until you put torches up.)

I swear, we spent half the time either digging tunnels down to rescue each other after we stepped into drop-offs or trying to make chambers and passages comfortably navigable. It was great, though when we saved the session, I was being haunted by an weirdly-invisible-to-everyone-else green zombie. (The session was in "peaceful" mode, so while it charged me with arms outreached and glommed on to me, glaring at me, it couldn't harm me and I couldn't harm it. I may drop it in lava or a pit or some such if it's still there next time we play.)

Though we have to break Mike of putting signs reading "WAY OUT" on passages that don't ("yet") lead to the surface.

If we play tonight, I'm going to run around putting up more signage, particularly labeling chambers. And dig out some of those chambers so that they have better visibility. And maybe dome over the main entrance to our mine. (See, that's the fucking addictive aspect - you keep thinking of what you want to do next. I picked up on that less than an hour in.)
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 20 Sep 2010, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2010, 13:52

it's hideously addictive. if i could run it at work (the osx install completely nukes the machine at work; total press the power button to reset you're fucked i.e. the osx version of the blue screen of death) i'd probably be playing it right now.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Sep 2010, 13:57

Huh, noted. I'll make sure only to play it in Windows.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Sep 2010, 14:05

Oh, and irony of ironies for a libertarian, I got dubbed "the OSHA compliance guy" for widening stairs and covering over drop-offs and lava. :) (Crud, yet another thing I want to do - slap down half-height blocks so we don't have to pogo up stairways.)

Anyone who hasn't tried it and likes any sort of exploration/building games? Stay away! It is crack!

Jake

Post by Jake » 20 Sep 2010, 16:13

Eric the .5b wrote:Anyone who hasn't tried it and likes any sort of exploration/building games? Stay away! It is crack!
Why didn't you tell me this TWO DAYS AGO?!

I was intrigued by dhex's cryptic mention, and played it. I don't think I'm doing it right; I have yet to encounter any moving things except for pigs, chickens, and cows. But I built a house of dirt at the top of a tall mountain. Then I started mining in the basement, because my eight-year-old told me there are horrible things that come out at night, and I reckoned digging a hole in my own house would be a good idea. So I delved downward, mining coal and iron, then learned about making better tools and glass windows. Then I upgraded my house into a castle of sorts, putting torches all over it so I could find it at night if I'm ever lost in the wilderness. And I started exploring cave systems, and digging tunnels to link up the great outdoors to my 50-block-deep basement/pit.

And then it was 3am. I thought it was maybe 10pm.

It's just a giant, blocky sandbox. There's no reason for me to do any of this stuff. But it's so... compelling...

Damn you, dhex!
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Sep 2010, 16:50

Haha!

It's sort of like first-person Dwarf Fortress (if you've ever read about it - try googling "boatmurdered" for a glimpse into that madness if not) without all the miasma and peculiar moods.

Alex (in our group game last night), built a pair of extremely thin towers as a landmark to help us find the main entrance. He hit the max height the game allows (which is apparently pretty high - the moon did not seem very far away), and I can see it for most of the length of the island we're on (before distance fog kicks in with my settings). I've been pondering a torch-lit path overland between the main and alternate mine entrances.

The green zombies are the only monsters we've seen, and we suspect their showing up at all is a glitch, since we set the server up in "peaceful" mode.

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2010, 18:41

i think it's more like oxycotin to dwarf fortress's fentanyl.

but yeah, dang. i know a game is bad when i start looking at filing cabinets and trees and trying to figure out how many blocks wide they are and how best to stack them.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Sep 2010, 19:04

dhex wrote:but yeah, dang. i know a game is bad when i start looking at filing cabinets and trees and trying to figure out how many blocks wide they are and how best to stack them.
Heh, haven't hit that, though I heard something like that was common for Katamari Damancy fans. My first "this is bad" moment was realizing how fun it was to make a pickaxe (and man, I like the crafting system) and help widen out a chamber. My second moment was going over all these ideas for the mine and environs and how I would go about slapping together quick shelter in a non-peaceful game while trying to go to sleep last night.

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2010, 19:59

non peaceful is deffo the way to go. the suicide bombers keep you on your toes.

JD

Post by JD » 20 Sep 2010, 20:02

dhex wrote:it's hideously addictive. if i could run it at work (the osx install completely nukes the machine at work; total press the power button to reset you're fucked i.e. the osx version of the blue screen of death) i'd probably be playing it right now.
It works here (Mac mini running 10.5). Slow as mud unless I switch the graphics to FAST, though.

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2010, 20:42

intel mac pro running 10.4.11. no idea what's going on.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Sep 2010, 12:53

We started a new area; the old one appeared to be corrupted.

Alex had left this server on during the day, and he and Mike had built a nice little house by the mine entrance and some long halls and stairs reaching down and connecting caves they'd found. I started improving the mine entrance to make it properly grand and found more caves after excavating hated gravel and sand. Then I wandered around and found a really neat mountain as Alex made flint and tinder and started burning down trees. Some of the trunks glitched, causing burning chunks of them to hover in midair for quite some time.

We dug lots. On a wild hair, I started digging a vault. Alex and I turned it into a big, honkin' vault (over 10 units high, IIRC) and festooned it with torches. Then we made a planter and threw down saplings. By the end of the night, we had two full-size trees in the underground arboretum, complete with a balcony and glass wall so passers-by on the adjoining stairs could admire it. Kiy, who'd started a farm topside, started digging out a vasty hall she labeled "Kiyomi's Expanse". I managed to stop Alex from trying to blindly dig straight up by tracing their path on the surface and squinting down at their tags, then inviting him up to look around at the nearby seashore and many lakes around the spot.

Kiy routed well under one lake (ie, she was far enough down to hit many patches of that indestructable bedrock), and we dug down from some caves in a nearby hillside, spiraling down and down and down until we could connect the tunnels.

And damn, things just went on. Bridges, grottos with waterfalls. Going to have to cut out earlier tonight, though - the other three don't work in mornings, while I do.

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Sep 2010, 13:06

it's pretty cracktastic, yeah. my fancy home (i tend to build a box, then expand a courtyard around it so i can work at night with a 2U wall, and so on) started as a seasteading experiment and is now slowly tunneling out to the main mine entrance. i figure i can build a series of gates (monsters can't pass through doors), cover them in domes and keep all the bozos on the outside out of the entrance to the mine.

then one of those exploding cactus thingies decided to coordinate a suicide attack on my main courtyard. which, since i'd built around water = flooding. kinda neat in an emergent gameplay sorta way. not so neat in a damn water everywhere way.

domes are a pita to build if you don't like falling a lot, btw.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Sep 2010, 13:14

dhex wrote:it's pretty cracktastic, yeah. my fancy home (i tend to build a box, then expand a courtyard around it so i can work at night with a 2U wall, and so on) started as a seasteading experiment and is now slowly tunneling out to the main mine entrance. i figure i can build a series of gates (monsters can't pass through doors), cover them in domes and keep all the bozos on the outside out of the entrance to the mine.
We haven't figured out how to turn on monsters and damage in multiplayer - we're apparently immortal (Mike accidentally took a lava-swim), but so are the pigs and chickens. While it's nice not to be pestered, that does feel a little nerfed.
dhex wrote:domes are a pita to build if you don't like falling a lot, btw.
I'm getting to be the master of flinging around globs of dirt to use as gantries and temporary footholds - but still falling a lot. :)

Jake

Post by Jake » 21 Sep 2010, 13:31

For those of you who haven't yet gazed into the great time-sink that is Minecraft:
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Sep 2010, 13:37

Wow. We haven't built anything a tenth as grandiose as that. (Well, we've done better than the first house. :) )

I was just thinking of making a nice tower. :D

JD

Post by JD » 21 Sep 2010, 14:17

I have only played it for about five minutes so far, due to time pressures. So far my experience has been something like this. "OK, here we are...landscape, trees, wandering around...there's a pig...huh, I can pick up these flowers...this is kind of dumb. Oh, there's a chicken. I wonder if I can punch it over the edge of that cliff? DIE, CHICKEN! Heh. What's that thing over there? Hm, kind of like a hill rising out of the sea. Wow, that's a big mountain, wonder if I can get up there...*jump jump*...hey, a cow. *WHACK WHACK* Ha, a leather! What's that there? Oh, it's a big opening in the earth..."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Sep 2010, 14:24

On the one hand, this is how Tolkien said the dwarven civilizations collapsed, by spending all their time burrowing for the sake of burrowing.

One the other hand, it's a way to nip that mineshaft gap in the bud.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 22 Sep 2010, 11:23

I finally got to spend a little more time with Minecraft yesterday. This is kind of embarrassing, but I have to make a complaint about the UI. I wandered around picking up things, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to obtain things as simple as wood or dirt. Every single tutorial I found said stuff like "click on a tree trunk to break it down". So I clicked. Nothing but a little debris flying off. I clicked a bunch more times. More debris, but nothing else happening. I clicked madly. No improvement. I spent about ten minutes clicking on the same square to see if anything would happen. I started to wonder if my client was broken. It took me about 45 minutes to figure out you have to hold down the mouse button. This was confusing because there are a bunch of things that don't work that way. Lots of stuff requires only one click, or repeated clicks at separate times. Bamboo was happily harvested and pigs and cows killed with repeated clicks. It's confusing because repeated clicks make it look like stuff is happening - sure is a lot of debris flying off! - but nothing really is. I suppose it's partly a programming matter, because keeping the damage state of every single block would probably require a whole lot more memory, but still, it was a bit annoying and embarrassing.

Also, I managed to survive my first skeleton encounter! (Well, not counting the whatever it was I ran into in the dark during the game where I wasn't in a house at night because I couldn't figure out how to mine anything.) I was exploring and found a sort of sinkhole leading to a cavern. What's that down there? An arrow? Odd...this is the first manufactured item I've found. What's that moving down there? Let's jump down and see...OH SHIT, A SKELETON. Fortunately, running away and rapidly digging a staircase out proved the key to survival.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Sep 2010, 12:37

Keep in mind that the game's still in alpha(!) - the head (only?) programmer's still trying to figure out an in-game tutorial. :)

The only thing I don't like about the UI is that every interaction uses right- or left-click - except using the inventory. Going over to the the I key is a hair annoying; since I bothered to do the pre-release registration last night, I'll probably tweak the settings and make that Tab or tilde or something.

We did work out last night that monsters and damage aren't activated in multiplayer - apparently, griefers are bad enough shaping water and lava that weapons are right out, for now.

I dug our first vertical mine shaft with Alex's help, and we connected it around to the back of the Arboretum with a long, long hallway. Then we had connection problems due to the overload of people trying to buy registrations swamping the Minecraft site...

The Arboretum got filled damn near entirely with the massive tree or fused trees growing in it, so we expanded it out to 13 x 13 and ~30 units high. The necessary carving took massive dirt scaffolding, and we ended up finding a small cavern from the bottom - or perhaps a void left by our draining gravel. (It had lots of coal, though, and we managed to hit surface water from a tunnel heading up from it.)

After harvesting the tree(s), we built a 5 x 5 planter and planted some seedlings. After festooning the walls with torches and widening the entrances and the overlooking glass wall, the new Arboretum is rather a sight - I'll see if I can throw up a YouTube.

And that's all I managed before I called it a night. Alex built an ornate glass temple-thing for the entrance and burned down more trees.

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Sep 2010, 12:51

Has anyone played Civilization 5 yet? Is it worth installing Windows on my Mac to get it?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Sep 2010, 13:33

word on the street (the internet street) is that civ 5 is worth playing if you like the series. i've never played civ so i can't vouch firsthand.

JD - http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 35&t=16120

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Sep 2010, 14:14

Mo wrote:Has anyone played Civilization 5 yet? Is it worth installing Windows on my Mac to get it?
Ask Warty on H&R, he is well into it the CIV games apparently
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Sep 2010, 14:30

The word from my Civ-playin' friends so far is that it's fun, but "fluffier" than Civ IV.

Edit: also, that it's "more tactical."
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 22 Sep 2010, 20:19

You know, honestly, I'd rather just keep paying for Civ II over and over and over again.