Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Dangerman

Re: Video Games!

Post by Dangerman » 25 Apr 2018, 22:20

Painboy wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 20:01
Dangerman wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 15:08
Painboy wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 22:21
My $150 Elite controller is getting stick drift. I knew I should have got the stupid protection plan ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog.
Live and learn!
It's a little hard to play Dark Souls with a HOTAS.

In continuing bad news the new Battletech game I helped Kickstart softlocks on load. Whoopee.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Apr 2018, 23:37

ThrustMaster :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure they're aware of how it sounds, BUT STILL.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Apr 2018, 08:03

plus you have to wrap your entire hand around it, cup the base, and really crank it sometimes.

AND IN THE GAME
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Apr 2018, 13:11

Ellie wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 23:37
ThrustMaster :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure they're aware of how it sounds, BUT STILL.
What a funny name to give a joystick, that upright, rigid device originally found in a cockpit.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Apr 2018, 13:23

finally finished torment: tides of numenera last night after kickstarting it like five years ago or whatever.

it was good! slightly fanfictiony re: torment og but still.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Apr 2018, 11:45

I'm in the battlemech driving business now.

Early campaign stuff is pretty fun. There seems to be a bug where sometimes you go into Called Shot mode to see if you can make it work, none of the percentages are great, so you try to go back to normal fire and it won't let you. Every time you target something for the remainder of the turn you are stuck in called shot mode. Anyone else see that?

Also, are hardpoints a forever limit on customization? I was kinda hoping for the ability to create hyperspecialized/weird mechs but it doesn't seem to allow that because each mech type has only certain weapon types allowed in certain locations - that feels overly restrictive. A nod to people who like branded mechs I guess, but kinda waa I want a design playground.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Apr 2018, 19:06

The fourth installment of the The Room series of games is out. They're all single player adventure/puzzle/escape games, but they stand out from the crowd for their beautiful graphics and clever, convoluted puzzles. Great time wasters on a flight, etc.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Apr 2018, 21:30

JasonL wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 11:45
I'm in the battlemech driving business now.

Early campaign stuff is pretty fun. There seems to be a bug where sometimes you go into Called Shot mode to see if you can make it work, none of the percentages are great, so you try to go back to normal fire and it won't let you. Every time you target something for the remainder of the turn you are stuck in called shot mode. Anyone else see that?

Also, are hardpoints a forever limit on customization? I was kinda hoping for the ability to create hyperspecialized/weird mechs but it doesn't seem to allow that because each mech type has only certain weapon types allowed in certain locations - that feels overly restrictive. A nod to people who like branded mechs I guess, but kinda waa I want a design playground.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Apr 2018, 21:39

I'm playing Banished again. Two days worth now. Whole lot of death goin' on. I really think Banished may well be the hardest game I've ever played. So long as I don't expand past 60 citizens or so then yay! Everyone alive! Any ambition beyond that is punished severely.

I will defeat you ... oh yes. I will ....
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 May 2018, 07:51

Pham Nuwen wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 21:39
I'm playing Banished again. Two days worth now. Whole lot of death goin' on. I really think Banished may well be the hardest game I've ever played. So long as I don't expand past 60 citizens or so then yay! Everyone alive! Any ambition beyond that is punished severely.

Get the Colonial Charter mod. You wants it. You NEEDS it!

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 May 2018, 11:01

Glad battletech preserved that most battletechy of battletech experiences - the Pyrrhic Victory. Here's to victory and negative cash flow!

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 01 May 2018, 13:27

Dangerman wrote:
01 May 2018, 07:51
Pham Nuwen wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 21:39

Get the Colonial Charter mod. You wants it. You NEEDS it!
Been running it for awhile. Death ... Death lurks in my village.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 May 2018, 14:18

JasonL wrote:Glad battletech preserved that most battletechy of battletech experiences - the Pyrrhic Victory. Here's to victory and negative cash flow!
So last night I was victimized by a mobile AC20 platform - 2x ac 20 on a surprisingly small chassis given the size of a hunchback. Blew both legs off a panther at the same time. Tipped my cap and DFA with a centurion. I will be fielding an AC 20 soon ....

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 May 2018, 15:42

Unfortunately I can't play Battletech on my PC right now as there is strange bug where it soft locks on the load screen. I just tested it on my Surface which seems to be able to get by that. Of course I haven't had the time to see how the gameplay looks so that might end up a slide show.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 01 May 2018, 20:04

JasonL wrote:
01 May 2018, 14:18
JasonL wrote:Glad battletech preserved that most battletechy of battletech experiences - the Pyrrhic Victory. Here's to victory and negative cash flow!
So last night I was victimized by a mobile AC20 platform - 2x ac 20 on a surprisingly small chassis given the size of a hunchback. Blew both legs off a panther at the same time. Tipped my cap and DFA with a centurion. I will be fielding an AC 20 soon ....
If they implemented the game correctly, a Hunchbacks should be a gimmick mech.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 02 May 2018, 02:29

If they were as smart as me, they'd have Open Class matches and campaigns, and then take the meta builds that emerge and roll them into the canon, supported of course by merch and DLC.

Jake

Post by Jake » 02 May 2018, 02:48

Far Cry 5. I love this series, and I love this iteration of it even more. The setup is this: you're a sheriff's deputy in Montana, and you're heading into a relatively isolated region in order to arrest a cult leader. Things go very badly, and now you're isolated and on the run in cult-held territory. The cult is doing all sorts of nefarious things, like drugging the locals into joining the cult, and murdering the ones who resist. Luckily for you, you're a neck-snapping badass, and the mountains are full of firearms and doomsday prepper stashes.

Gameplay includes a ton of high-explosive mayhem and another ton of skulking around in the bushes ambushing cultists. I'm about two-thirds of the way through, and it scratches several of my favorite itches, and it scratches them oh so well.

"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 May 2018, 10:10

BT is grueling in the sense of mandatory losses to achieve goals. I ran at a mission 5 times that on a tonnage basis I should have been fine to handle, but I just couldn't get the 2 early round ko's I would need to keep all the mechs alive. The AI focuses fire on counter strikes in a brutal way. It's very hard to keep your scout alive. I can't escape any battle using a panther where my ppc arm is still attached. Finally sucked it up, lost a spider and a good scout pilot. I'm reminded not for the first time in the BT universe that heavy tanks are every bit as scary as mechs. Yes you can focus on an LRM carrier with 3 LRM 20s but oh look there's a behemoth right there with 2 AC 10s and it wont die.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 May 2018, 17:30

JasonL wrote:
04 May 2018, 10:10
BT is grueling in the sense of mandatory losses to achieve goals. I ran at a mission 5 times that on a tonnage basis I should have been fine to handle, but I just couldn't get the 2 early round ko's I would need to keep all the mechs alive. The AI focuses fire on counter strikes in a brutal way. It's very hard to keep your scout alive. I can't escape any battle using a panther where my ppc arm is still attached. Finally sucked it up, lost a spider and a good scout pilot. I'm reminded not for the first time in the BT universe that heavy tanks are every bit as scary as mechs. Yes you can focus on an LRM carrier with 3 LRM 20s but oh look there's a behemoth right there with 2 AC 10s and it wont die.
Hit tanks with as many separate shots as possible. In 3025 that should be LRMs and SRMs since there are no LBX autocannons.

If they implemented the game right, vehicles should have very high vulnerability to critical hits, so the more separate connections the better.

If you can get flamers or inferno SRMs, those should 100% kill vehicles, as I recall.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 May 2018, 19:43

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 17:30
JasonL wrote:
Hit tanks with as many separate shots as possible. In 3025 that should be LRMs and SRMs since there are no LBX autocannons.

If they implemented the game right, vehicles should have very high vulnerability to critical hits, so the more separate connections the better.

If you can get flamers or inferno SRMs, those should 100% kill vehicles, as I recall.
That may be my issue. I was trying to punch them with ppc and med lasers along with medium dose of lrm. Would not go down. It says they are vulnerable to physical attack but not enough to finish one with a high mobility mech unless you've been chewing on it for a minute. Look up and you've been firing on one tank for 3 turns and you haven't incapacitated anyone and you are surrounded and fucked more generally. It's way way easier to incapacitate / diminish elements of a mech than it is to finish a heavy tank the way I was going about it.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 May 2018, 19:47

JasonL wrote:
04 May 2018, 19:43
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 May 2018, 17:30
JasonL wrote:

That may be my issue. I was trying to punch them with ppc and med lasers along with medium dose of lrm. Would not go down. It says they are vulnerable to physical attack but not enough to finish one with a high mobility mech unless you've been chewing on it for a minute. Look up and you've been firing on one tank for 3 turns and you haven't incapacitated anyone and you are surrounded and fucked more generally. It's way way easier to incapacitate / diminish elements of a mech than it is to finish a heavy tank the way I was going about it.
The vehicles can have fucking ridiculous amounts of armor, and sans critical vulnerability are vastly Superior to mechs.

JasonL

Video Games!

Post by JasonL » 05 May 2018, 08:13

Yah. I think the model size thing confuses a guy on that point considerably. A 30 ton mech is vastly huger than a tank and sports proportionally bigger guns. A mech ppc is as big as 2-3 tanks in a row. It doesn’t look like the tank could possibly be a threat.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 05 May 2018, 12:49

I finally got mine up and working. Turned out it was a Steam issue. Had to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing.

Just started on the tutorial myself.

Here's a guide to get some better performance if the game is getting too pokey for you. There are things the devs apparently did on purpose to slow the game down that can be changed relatively easily.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 May 2018, 13:04

Sometimes you have a good day. Captured fully intact Black Knight 75 ton heavy by TKO - knocking it over 3 times so the pilot passed out from head injury. No material team damage taken.

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jun 2018, 16:13

This is only kind of tangentially video-game related and really more of a speech and culture issue, but I thought I'd put it here...

The flap over Valve's content-regulation policy on Steam is producing some interesting discussions, but also a lot of crap, and it's really bringing out the fascist side of some people, particularly on the left. It's interesting to see that while some game devs/fans on the left have a problem with games with queer and/or overtly sexual content being banned, their main fear is that allowing free speech will enable actual fascists to take over a space.

For example, this guy argues
My NYU Game Center colleague Bennett Foddy argues that relying on Valve to fix Steam establishes a dangerous reliance on a corporation to govern its users, and instead it's better to have an elected government with legal and regulatory institutions to truly bring Steam into compliance. In the most extreme case, we should perhaps nationalize Steam, to hold it more accountable in this legal sense.

We should definitely reshape the industry so that we don't need trust or benevolence from corporations. That's an admirable long term goal if there's a less-terrible national government involved. However I think we've already passed this terrible point where corporations are already acting as governments, and the terrible dystopian future of "corporate responsibility" is already happening. Until the revolution, I also support the medium term goal of breaking Steam's monopoly on PC game sales by supporting more socially-engaged storefronts like Itch.io.
When you boil it down, that's basically saying "We should reshape [society] so that we don't need trust or benevolence from [the actors within society]." And that is the same thing as asking for the Total State (and for the Total State to somehow be benevolent and trustworthy and aligned with his values).

The guy he quotes, Bennett Foddy, says in the linked tweet
imo if your main worry is people publishing work that ought to be illegal for one reason or another, push actual elected governments to draft actual laws that can be subject to oversight and review. I’m not a free speech purist, I just don’t want to be governed by corporations
Firstly, I'm not sure where he's coming from with the "ought to be illegal" part, but he pretty clearly does want to be governed, just not by corporations, because he also says
In the case of Valve and Apple and Google and Twitch, history has shown that when they try to enforce moral norms they don’t always pick good ones, and then we have very little recourse. Don’t encourage distributors to exert gatekeeping power, imo — the incentives are all wrong
and in another thread, when pressed on "what makes government gatekeeping any better?" he actually responds
When the government is corrupt and unjust, it still has the moral legitimacy that comes from being chosen by the people, and it still has to answer to the people, and the people can still replace it. So yeah it is a lot better for this kind of thing.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF