Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: Video Games!

Post by dhex » 30 Jan 2018, 22:01

Tacoma is excellent. I'd watch that movie.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Gold Pony Boy

Post by Gold Pony Boy » 30 Jan 2018, 22:26

Man. Modern consoles and PC's have spoiled me worse than I thought.

I recently tried to play Medal of Honor on the GameCube (not even that old) and there were times where I couldn't even tell what was on the screen because the graphics looked so bad to me. It honestly looked like I was walking through a hallway of brown and gray cobwebs while being shot.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Jan 2018, 01:12

mrs lunch has been a longtime fan of the Zelda franchise, and so we just got a Nintendo Twitch and the newest Zelda, Breath of the Wild. It's actually quite good. She was oohing and ahhing that it was as good as the Ocarina of Time, which is a GameCube release. I went and looked at some of the graphics from that one and was thinking, "How the hell did people know what was going on?"

And I say that as a guy who got his start with gaming on the 2600 and the state-of-the-art Commodore 64, and being wowed by the graphics in Wolfenstein 3D in 1993.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 31 Jan 2018, 01:52

lunchstealer wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 01:12
mrs lunch has been a longtime fan of the Zelda franchise, and so we just got a Nintendo Twitch and the newest Zelda, Breath of the Wild. It's actually quite good. She was oohing and ahhing that it was as good as the Ocarina of Time, which is a GameCube release. I went and looked at some of the graphics from that one and was thinking, "How the hell did people know what was going on?"

And I say that as a guy who got his start with gaming on the 2600 and the state-of-the-art Commodore 64, and being wowed by the graphics in Wolfenstein 3D in 1993.
Ocarina of Time was actually an N64 release. That was in, like, the first two years of console 3d-gaming.

Ocarina of Time was a great game and is basically the founding entry in its genre. (3d action-adventure platforming, more or less). It's also an incredible glitchy mess, as so many "created their genre" games are.

Gold Pony Boy

Post by Gold Pony Boy » 08 Feb 2018, 00:37

With all of the great, amazing games being made, I still love how the simplest ones still get me so sucked in.

I recently played this game called Spooky Jump Scare Mansion, and it owned my life for a few consecutive nights. And it looks like something some high schooler made as a project for a computer class. But it was honestly one of the most enjoyable and satisfying game experiences I've had recently.