Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: Video Games!

Post by dhex » 20 Apr 2017, 13:16

devil may waifu, but with a lot of different modes like sidescrollers or shmups.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Apr 2017, 13:27

dhex wrote:devil may waifu, but with a lot of different modes like sidescrollers or shmups.
oh that's not my thing

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Apr 2017, 13:36

I just thought the whole point was watching water dry on a girl's ass...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Jun 2017, 01:19

Planescape: Torment has an enhanced edition out now. One of the old Infinity engine games like Balder's Gate. If you've never played it I strongly encourage you to do so now that it doesn't require a bunch of mods and crap to get it running. Incredible writing and story. Especially for a video game. The combat isn't that compelling but that's not really the point. I still have a firm memory of all the characters because they were so unique and fleshed out.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Jun 2017, 18:24

Stellaris may have a hold on me the way Europa universalis II and civ 3 had on me. It's a beautiful game and very well done.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Jun 2017, 18:36

Pham Nuwen wrote:Stellaris may have a hold on me the way Europa universalis II and civ 3 had on me. It's a beautiful game and very well done.
I've been playing something similar called Stardrive 2, which is way too fiddly on unit construction and way too dependent on its weaksauce combat system. Is Stellaris available only on Steam or can I get is just for my OS?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Jun 2017, 20:50

Hugh Akston wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:Stellaris may have a hold on me the way Europa universalis II and civ 3 had on me. It's a beautiful game and very well done.
I've been playing something similar called Stardrive 2, which is way too fiddly on unit construction and way too dependent on its weaksauce combat system. Is Stellaris available only on Steam or can I get is just for my OS?
I would do humble bundle. I paid 12 bucks for stellaris, plague Inc, and 5 other games. But yeah. I think its only for steam.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Jun 2017, 17:56

It's just so damn hard. I always end up Space Luxembourgh. Or Space Iraq.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Jun 2017, 17:57

Space eaten by fallen empire. It's way better after the last dlc and patch. Adams and something.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Jun 2017, 18:03

But sector management tho. Look you fuckers I said build power plants why no power plants?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 09 Jun 2017, 04:48

I guess I'm space russia? I'm strong enough that no one fucks with me but not really strong enough to take a real role in the galaxy for the most part. Mainly I watch neighboring empires fight it out and if one side is taking systems then I jump in to grab at l

I run agrarian idyllic and efficient beauracracy with pacifism. Tradition research with a healthy amount of core worlds. I aggressively setup colonies and frontier outposts in strategic spots to hem in my immediate neighbors. I also custom build ships as much as possible. My corvettes in my current save game cost like 160 minerals because of the beefy tech on them. I'm trying to pick a fight but no civ is taking the hint. The

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jun 2017, 08:50

The most common end to my game is I run out of influence due to frontier stations needed to secure resource systems or bridge over to core worlds. Current game is the first I've had in a where I wasn't hemmed in before getting to carrier type ships.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 09 Jun 2017, 09:54

JasonL wrote:The most common end to my game is I run out of influence due to frontier stations needed to secure resource systems or bridge over to core worlds. Current game is the first I've had in a where I wasn't hemmed in before getting to carrier type ships.
I don't think I've gotten far enough along to have that be a problem. I'm at about 3 days in on my longest game.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jun 2017, 10:12

Ahh you haven't hit the annoying parts with sectors and influence management.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Jun 2017, 10:23

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
I would do humble bundle. I paid 12 bucks for stellaris, plague Inc, and 5 other games. But yeah. I think its only for steam.
Careful, that Stellarus bundle, unlike previous Humble Bundles, is part of a monthly subscription rather that their usual one-off deals...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 09 Jun 2017, 10:25

JasonL wrote:Ahh you haven't hit the annoying parts with sectors and influence management.
All I know is I swear I'll go full retard if my protectorate diplomatically insults me again. Like, I raised you from a measly steam driven people to am advanced space faring civilization and you don't respect me? Talk shit get hit.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 11 Jun 2017, 18:55

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 Jun 2017, 02:01

I'm running into late game issues finally. I think.

11 core sectors at the moment. 4 or 5 outposts. +2 on the research alternatives. But I'm only bringing in a measly .99 of influence. I'm starting to terraform every planet in my control but I'm running into a hard #'s cap with regards to energy. I'm powerful. Sort of. Can't take on a fallen empire yet but I'm superior to my federation members and run 2 main fleets right now with about 3.2 and 5.7 or so firepower. Pushing out battleships but the cost man! The cost! I'm basically trying to pick a fight with a rather far away empire. But I ran pacifist for the core worlds and can't just do what I need to do. Thus why I'm trying to make sure the power bloc over there has a long way to go if they want to bring the fight to me. Just can't get them to declare war on me. Also trying to create a ring world. But getting together 20k minerals isn't easy.

Am I doing Stellaris right?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Jun 2017, 10:18

Doing at least as well as me.

Though, I got interesting results with the naked corvette strategy, last game I ran. That is, spam completely un-upgraded corvettes. No shields, no armor, basic weapons and equipment. Just churn out as many as your economy can bear, sneering at your fleet cap. They will do not only be cheap to build up, sustain, and rebuild, but will utterly dissolve enemy fleets up to their fleet''s rating. Go heavily for fleet size upgrades and corvette price breaks, put corvette assembly yards on every planet, and it's WW2 Russian army in space. Also, the fleet choreography gets fascinating to watch with 100+ ships.

It only fell apart for me when I decided that, no, I needed to upgrade these things. Shields! Tier 5 weapons! Then, I ended up with an unsustainable fleet, one that that killed my energy and mineral production to deploy and that I couldn't replace fast enough. Next time, no upgrades except possibly FTL.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Jun 2017, 10:20

Way better than me.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 Jun 2017, 12:35

Think I'm going to start a new game and go full on space tyrant. See where that gets me. Federations just aren't that much fun unless you are taking on a fallen empire. And holy shit guys! Don't fucking settle on one of their holy worlds. The pain they bring is interesting for all of 5 minutes and then you realize there is nothing you can do to stop them. Your federation members just kind of look away.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Jun 2017, 14:08

Rebel Galaxy is moderately fun if you get it on sale. Even full price is only $20 now. Broadsides based spaceship combat. It kinda has a linear progression of ship builds, so you can't really go after things too many different ways.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Jul 2017, 12:21

Predictions:
1) The game will be bloated with loot, weapons, crafts, and minigames yet feel somehow half-baked.
2) The mechanics and gameplay will be overcomplicated and unclear.
3) The dialogue will be terrible and the story will make no goddamn sense.
4) I will buy it and waste many hours of my life playing it. Probably twice.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Jul 2017, 12:39

Shot in the dark: does anyone know of a simple side-scroller for the Xbox One? Modspawn played Never Alone with his uncle and really really liked it, but I found the graphics too realistic and got all upset whenever something bad would happen to the little girl or the fox :lol: so I wanted to find him something similar, without a lot of strategy, mostly jumping around.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 17 Jul 2017, 12:51

Ellie wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 12:39
Shot in the dark: does anyone know of a simple side-scroller for the Xbox One? Modspawn played Never Alone with his uncle and really really liked it, but I found the graphics too realistic and got all upset whenever something bad would happen to the little girl or the fox :lol: so I wanted to find him something similar, without a lot of strategy, mostly jumping around.
Nintendo.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer