Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Taktix®

Re: Video Games!

Post by Taktix® » 14 Dec 2016, 20:08

Big Star Wars pack on Steam right now for $23...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Dec 2016, 21:55

new binding of isaac drops jan 3. hell yes.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 17 Dec 2016, 14:20

I bought a Logitech G502 Proteus Core.

Reasons:

Biggest mouse that Logitech offers, good for my big hands. Also, positive mentions of ergonomics in a lot of the reviews.

Best sensor (-3366 model) on the market.

Super good reviews.

Lots of buttons, which I don't really care about, but they're out of the way of my fingers, which I do care about.

Super customizable: variable weights, surface-adaptive software/sensor package, up to 12,000 DPI (lawl!).

In stock at Amazon. I would have paid the extra $3 for the Spectrum with RBG lighting, but it was out of stock and I want a mouse now.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Mar 2017, 17:21

Old noisy GPU finally died. MSI RX480 8gb on order. Also Deathadder wired version because I'm tired of right click fail in overwatch.

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Mar 2017, 19:11

Got Andromeda a day early. Liking it so far. Animation fail doesn't seem as ubiquitous as complaints made it out to be. Visually stunning scenery. Story seems solid if not transcendent. Is at least not a massive downer after ME3.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Mar 2017, 11:40

JasonL wrote:Old noisy GPU finally died. MSI RX480 8gb on order. Also Deathadder wired version because I'm tired of right click fail in overwatch.
Hey guess what? PCI Express cards are totally compatible with PCI boards and I totally have enough power supply to run the card. It's just ... the power supply connection is different so none of that matters.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Mar 2017, 13:58

JasonL wrote:
JasonL wrote:Old noisy GPU finally died. MSI RX480 8gb on order. Also Deathadder wired version because I'm tired of right click fail in overwatch.
Hey guess what? PCI Express cards are totally compatible with PCI boards and I totally have enough power supply to run the card. It's just ... the power supply connection is different so none of that matters.
There's no adapter cables?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Mar 2017, 14:07

Painboy wrote:
JasonL wrote:
It's the world's most irritating thing. I can find adapters for every other imaginable situation, but not the one I have.

I have power supply with 2 X 6 pin and the new GPU has 1 X 8 pin. I can find a ton of 1 X 6 to 2 X 8 which I don't need, but not one to take 2 X 6 from the supply to 1 X 8 into the card. GRRR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Apr 2017, 11:11

My buddy scored a NES Classic through Amazon Prime Now, so I got to play that a little over the weekend. Overall, I'm glad I got to try it out so I won't feel the need to buy one. I found most of the games frustrating and probably wouldn't play them much (the vast majority of the games are new to me since I had 3 NES games as a kid). The only one I'd play much would be Super Mario 3, which is one I had as a kid, but even that was nearly more annoying than enjoyable.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Apr 2017, 20:36

Andrew wrote:My buddy scored a NES Classic through Amazon Prime Now, so I got to play that a little over the weekend. Overall, I'm glad I got to try it out so I won't feel the need to buy one. I found most of the games frustrating and probably wouldn't play them much (the vast majority of the games are new to me since I had 3 NES games as a kid). The only one I'd play much would be Super Mario 3, which is one I had as a kid, but even that was nearly more annoying than enjoyable.
Having done my share of emulation and the like I'm always amazed when playing games from the past that as a generally impatient kid how I suffered through some of the ones I played. The controls were often terrible and the gameplay regularly contained cheap deaths and bullshit difficulty. There are some that hold up and are still fun to play but they're usually pretty thin as far as the depth of gameplay.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Apr 2017, 21:21

Yeah, my position on "classic" games is that they are best left in the comfy confines of your memory. Playing them just shows how much games have developed since then, in nearly every way. Even the games that had fun and balanced gameplay turn out to be not nearly as good as newer games you've played (and stopped playing) since then. And the graphics are a chore to deal with. 8-bit aesthetics are fun for parodies and memes, but for playing a whole game, no thanks.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Apr 2017, 21:31

So I still really enjoy SNES games, but gnerally not NES games.

I can't tell how much of that is the genuine improvements between the two systems, and how much of that is that I grew up on SNES games.

(Also I've played virtually nothing published after 2002 or so (outside of flash games and such), so my standards haven't had as far to drift. If things have actually improved).

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Apr 2017, 21:56

Highway wrote:Yeah, my position on "classic" games is that they are best left in the comfy confines of your memory. Playing them just shows how much games have developed since then, in nearly every way. Even the games that had fun and balanced gameplay turn out to be not nearly as good as newer games you've played (and stopped playing) since then. And the graphics are a chore to deal with. 8-bit aesthetics are fun for parodies and memes, but for playing a whole game, no thanks.
I played Star Control 2 and I remembered how deep and open the world was. Then I played it and I realized, "Man that was short. It was revolutionary back in the day, but dang."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Apr 2017, 22:10

Mo wrote:
Highway wrote:Yeah, my position on "classic" games is that they are best left in the comfy confines of your memory. Playing them just shows how much games have developed since then, in nearly every way. Even the games that had fun and balanced gameplay turn out to be not nearly as good as newer games you've played (and stopped playing) since then. And the graphics are a chore to deal with. 8-bit aesthetics are fun for parodies and memes, but for playing a whole game, no thanks.
I played Star Control 2 and I remembered how deep and open the world was. Then I played it and I realized, "Man that was short. It was revolutionary back in the day, but dang."
Huh. My big problem with the old games is mostly "holy shit, I would have loved this when I was twelve, but I don't have time to do this justice any more, give me something with some railroads please."

But also my internal chronology of video games is super fucked up. "Old stuff" is NES up through about 92 or so? "Classic stuff" is SNES era, "Current" stuff is like N64-2003, and anything after 2003 is bizarre fucked up shit that kids these days are playing.

(I keep hearing people describe gamecube games as "retro" and getting genuinely confused every time this happens, no matter how many times it happens).

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Apr 2017, 22:19

I can't stand looking at old stuff. I get no nostalgia when new titles go 8 bit.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Apr 2017, 22:35

Yar's Revenge is still the bomb.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 04 Apr 2017, 08:35

Mrs. T and her sister each managed to get one the day they came out. It was awesome to finally prove to my wife that she made the right decision in marrying me by showing her the infinite lives trick in Mario 3:

But yeah, I agree that most of the games didn't hold up to well. Zelda still has enough depth to maybe-sorta hold up today, and I've always wanted to play Zelda II, but many more were frustrating rather than fun (I'm looking at you Ninja Gaiden) or horribly feature-less compared to modern iterations (Final Fantasy).

My oldest loves Kirby though...

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Apr 2017, 09:19

lunchstealer wrote:Yar's Revenge is still the bomb.
This is truth
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

nicole

Post by nicole » 04 Apr 2017, 09:27

Shem wrote:Got Andromeda a day early. Liking it so far. Animation fail doesn't seem as ubiquitous as complaints made it out to be. Visually stunning scenery. Story seems solid if not transcendent. Is at least not a massive downer after ME3.
L-dub started playing this over the weekend and it looks way better than I'd expected based on the fail screenshots I was seeing on Twitter. I don't think I'll play it myself, but it seems fun.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Shem

Post by Shem » 04 Apr 2017, 11:47

nicole wrote:
Shem wrote:Got Andromeda a day early. Liking it so far. Animation fail doesn't seem as ubiquitous as complaints made it out to be. Visually stunning scenery. Story seems solid if not transcendent. Is at least not a massive downer after ME3.
L-dub started playing this over the weekend and it looks way better than I'd expected based on the fail screenshots I was seeing on Twitter. I don't think I'll play it myself, but it seems fun.
It really is. People are probably going to give it crap because they didn't try to make a "GOTY blow the competition out" game, (and they didn't wind up with it) but by focusing on the characterization they actually managed to make a game that made me care about the NPCs. I felt bad pissing off my squadmates in a way I never did with Witcher 3 or FO4.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Apr 2017, 09:23

JasonL wrote:
Painboy wrote:
JasonL wrote:
It's the world's most irritating thing. I can find adapters for every other imaginable situation, but not the one I have.

I have power supply with 2 X 6 pin and the new GPU has 1 X 8 pin. I can find a ton of 1 X 6 to 2 X 8 which I don't need, but not one to take 2 X 6 from the supply to 1 X 8 into the card. GRRR
So to solve this a friend gave me for the price of a home cooked meal a 750w power supply with the right connectors. Spent last night changing it out. I learned how dramatic cable managment strategies can be. So dramatic in this case I had to cut one of the strands of sata cables that had been wrapped around something and then snagged in some far corner of the case. Got the new one in, put the new card in, power tested with no peripherals, ok looks decent except 2 front fans on the case that I think may have shut down a while back (but could potentially have been a casualty of my trying to unbind that one set of sata cables.) Anyway, ready to test ... new card needs 2xDP input whereas last card used single miniDP, great I have those cables from the display box somewhere.

NO I DON"T. argh. 90 minutes of wrestling with the thing and 3 mins away from figuring out if it worked and no way to actually monitor test until I get another set of cables. I think the kids say fml here.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 15 Apr 2017, 20:34

https://www.humblebundle.com/intergalactic-bundle

$15
Galactic Civilizations III
Planetary Annihilation: TITANS
Rebel Galaxy
Offworld Trading Company

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Apr 2017, 23:41

Taktix® wrote:https://www.humblebundle.com/intergalactic-bundle

$15
Galactic Civilizations III
Planetary Annihilation: TITANS
Rebel Galaxy
Offworld Trading Company
I'm now at the point economically where I don't look at games prices anymore. I only look at how much time do I have to play a game. Sales are nice but it's not a determining factor anymore if I want to play it.

Let me know how Gal Civ 3 is. The second one was okay but certainly no MOO2. I have been wondering if they improved it.

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Apr 2017, 13:07

anyone played nier automata? it looks weeabooxtreme but friends are hype on it.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Apr 2017, 13:11

I can't get past the weeabooism. Also cant figure out what gameplay actually is.