Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: Video Games!

Post by dhex » 22 Sep 2010, 21:05

last minecraft update after the server splosion disabled sounds and music. the music is pretty shit (one of the things i'd like to see is easy custom music replacement, not that loading up foobar is so onerous) but without sounds you get suicide bombed real easy which sucks when you're building a GLASS MOTHERFUCKING HOUSE.

still, my crystal cathedral shall not be undone.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 23 Sep 2010, 09:45

Ha! I killed my first monster! I built a little house; the location was not exactly ideal, but it was by a little pond, which appealed to me. I put a window looking out onto the lake. Then, during the night, something hits me, and I see that a zombie has actually walked out into the pond to try and get me through the window. Fortunately, I could just back away from the window to where he couldn't reach me...and then I realized my sword gave me enough extra reach I could still hit him.

Then around dawn I went out, and got attacked by a skeleton, but it was so close to sunrise I just ran a few yards away and waited until he burst into flames, which took about 30 seconds. Still, the presence of the skeleton reminded me perhaps an open window is not that great a thing. Next project, either secure that window or dig out the pond so it's not wading depth anymore.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Sep 2010, 11:15

I'll have to try the single-player this weekend.

I'm a little leery of giant, jumping spiders as an enemy; as blocky as the graphics are, they may not set off my arachnophobia, though.

Last night, I actually had to trim back the tree from the walls in the Arboretum. Fortunately, it only goes halfway up the vault, so after some trimming, all was good. We dug a new mine off the Arboretum and got completely turned around as to direction; we eventually broke surface in the cave network I'd previously dubbed "Ass End Caverns", due to it being on the backside of a formation I had named Falcon Rock. When I logged off for an early morning, Alex was threatening to build a glass dome over the huge cavern entrance.

I think I'm going to start marking north in various rooms, as we have so many switchbacks and whatnot in some of the stairways that's it's easy to get turned around.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Sep 2010, 11:59

sounds are back online with this last update.

just a note, you're not going to enjoy the spider sound effects. they're only aggro during the night, though, or if you attack them for string (to make bows, etc).
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 23 Sep 2010, 12:12

Ellie wrote:The word from my Civ-playin' friends so far is that it's fun, but "fluffier" than Civ IV.

Edit: also, that it's "more tactical."
What, it's black and costs a lot?
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

Shem

Post by Shem » 26 Sep 2010, 01:39

Just preordered Fallout: New Vegas. Hope it's as good as Fallout 3 was.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 26 Sep 2010, 11:50

Shem wrote:Just preordered Fallout: New Vegas. Hope it's as good as Fallout 3 was.
I am waiting until after all of my graduate school applications are done to order that. Not going anywhere this christmas, I'll have a month to play that shit.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Sep 2010, 19:40

i figure it'll be at least a lot more interesting than fallout 3. and i'm banking on better. didn't preorder yet because i bought alpha protocol so obsidian already got my pity buxx.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Sep 2010, 10:18

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 28 Sep 2010, 10:37

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 28 Sep 2010, 15:07

Mmmmm. Even though their stunt last week was a little boneheaded.
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Sep 2010, 20:04

their stunt last week was so fucking stupid i have trouble believing anyone thought it was a good idea. if they had a pr team i'd have them horsewhipped and paraded around the town square before being driven into the wood.

it's pretty obvious they don't have a pr team, though.

Shem

Post by Shem » 28 Sep 2010, 20:38

dhex wrote:their stunt last week was so fucking stupid i have trouble believing anyone thought it was a good idea. if they had a pr team i'd have them horsewhipped and paraded around the town square before being driven into the wood.

it's pretty obvious they don't have a pr team, though.
What stunt?

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Sep 2010, 20:52

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Sep 2010, 02:02

This is actually an awesome little game.

http://www.miniclip
.com/games/world-domination-2/en/
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JD

Post by JD » 30 Sep 2010, 16:33

I was playing a bit more Minecraft the other day, and I started a new game in which I spawned on a sandy little peninsula with some cacti. Pleased with my good fortune, I built my house there and set to work surrounding it with a living fence of cacti, although I didn't know how well that would actually work in practice. The morning after the second night, I was pleased to come out of my house and discover that a pig had turned himself into hams against my fence. Now all I need is a river that runs into a cul-de-sac of cacti...instant harvester!

Then the next day I went exploring, got entranced by a landscape of waterfalls, lava falls, and tunnels, and got horribly lost. I should have just holed up for the night; instead I ended up running blindly across the land pursued by the biggest horde of monsters I'd ever seen. Eventually got caught/bored, tried to fight, got killed immediately. Next plan: put torch "lighthouses" (and maybe signs with directions) on all the nearby peaks. If I get lost, I just climb to a peak and look for a lighthouse.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Shem

Post by Shem » 30 Sep 2010, 16:36

When you spawn these worlds, do you share them with random people like an MMO, or is it like a walled-off area people have to be invited into?

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Sep 2010, 16:39

either, depending on the game mode.

(i only play solo)

and yeah lighthouse towers are helpful. i'm building a skyway (don't ask) far from my spawn point, and i fall a lot, so lighthouses help a heck of a lot.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Sep 2010, 18:41

It's either single-player or using the server program to set up a multi-player version, Shem.

I've finally been tinkering with the single-player version. Spawned in a snowy land of small, mountainous islands separated by ice. Slapped together a little earthen fort on a prominence, then wondered, as I had no torches, if anything would spawn IN my fort. So hung out on the roof...and managed to fall off into the clutches of a skeleton. So after I respawned, I charged the skeleton and beat it to pieces bare-handed.

Ended up converting the fort to stone and building up two floors and down three (complete with an airlocked door out to water/ice level). After a pair of spiders lurked outside my door for most of a day before I went out to fight them, I built a surrounding two-unit wall. Then I started annihilating small islands nearby for the dirt to start leveling off my island (for an orchard/grove/tree farm/whatever) and build it up to constitute an additional monster-barrier. I still had at least one spider spawn somewhere in my territory and try to jump me (probably from incomplete torch coverage), but I was rocking iron swords and leather armor, so no big.

I found a dungeon under one of the islands I reduced - I suspect that it goes under the water right up to a floor of my fortress, so now that I have more torches, iron armor, and a cordoned-off digging spot to keep zombies from overrunning my house if I die, I think I'll start probing that.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jake

Post by Jake » 30 Sep 2010, 19:13

After a horrible lava accident that demolished my workshop in my first Minecraft game, I decided to start a second one, using what I'd learned in the first. I spawned on an island beach just offshore from a much larger landmass, and before I walked away, I dug a small moat around my spawn point (not deep enough to stop monsters; just enough to be obvious), so that I'd be able to find that exact spot again later.

On the larger landmass were several gigantic mountains, looming higher than the clouds, with steep cliffs and a multitude of waterfalls emerging from caves at various levels. Seriously beautiful stuff. So I spent my first night in a tree on one of the smaller promontories, and the next day scaled the tallest of the visible mountains.

Upon arrival at the top of the mountain, I saw that it had a pretty large usable flat spot, so I built a small sod house (with cobblestone fireplace) in which to cower for the night, off to the side of the prime building location. I then set myself to gathering wood and making tools and then torches, and finally had a large, fenced-off pasture around my home with a grid of torches (four empty spaces between each torch) providing 24-hour light. Once that was secure, I set to extending my torch grid over the entire ridge of connected peaks, to keep monsters from spawning in my lands, and alternately dug down or built up around the edge (with doors installed at selected entry points) to guarantee that they can't wander in after spawning outside. I also took a walk to my spawn point and built a more direct route from there to the protected area, and liberally marked it with a line of torches.

Interestingly, I soon discovered that just like monsters will spawn in dark areas day or night, animals will spawn in light, grassy areas regardless of time of day. Now I have all manner of animals spawning around my home; I have far more roasted pork than I know what to do with. Eventually, the prime building area will house my castle, with glorious views down the highest cliff I've ever seen in this game to the lovely system of lakes below.

Within my lands was a single cave entrance, but the cave was small (and is now well-lit with torches). So I started digging a staircase downward, getting stone and looking for caverns... which I found waaaaaay down in the depths of the earth. Now I'm pacifying a series of interconnecting caverns and exploiting their natural resources.

I love this game.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 02 Oct 2010, 18:48

I may have to try this minecraft thing:

http://arstechnica.
com/gaming/news/2010/09/the-true-story-behind-the-amazing-minecraft-enterprise-d.ars
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Oct 2010, 15:00

I haven't gotten to play much lately. Last I did, I added a second story to my house, complete with "battlements" so I can walk around up there and look out across the landscape at night. A skeleton came and fired arrows at me one night, but he couldn't hit me over the battlements, so it just resulted in a lot of arrows stuck into the wall.

Nearly had a very scary accident while mining: I found a chasm with some coal, which I started mining out...lesson: Do not mine very close to the shore. I pickaxed out one block and suddenly HOLY CRAP THE OCEAN IS POURING INTO MY MINE. I managed to jump out of the way of the newly-created cataract and dig back out, so it was only scary, not lethal. Later I came back and plugged up the hole with sand, but that chasm is still too vertical to mine easily.

Figured out the lay of the land a bit better. Started digging a new mine tunnel, well away from the ocean. Mostly very boring, not finding much, was on the verge of giving up, when suddenly I break through into an underground cavern. Then I get hit by an arrow - damn skeletons roaming around down there, and me without very good armor. A weird thing, though: I was able to back off to where he couldn't hit me but I could still see him, just barely, and then he started taking damage and died. I have not gone back down in there. I'm nervous - what would have killed the skeleton, and is it still there? Another skeleton, firing at me but hitting the first skeleton instead? Lava? Something else?

Also, while this landscape is very beautiful, it is also frustrating. There has been extremely little iron, and even the cows have been stubborn about dropping hides. Also, the local peaks are all very karst-like, which makes getting up on top of them to place beacons very challenging.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 08 Oct 2010, 08:10

I'll have to give Minecraft another go. After the initial post about it on here, I played it a bit, but also discovered Dwarf Fortress, the game that inspired MC. I got completely sucked into that, and am still obsessed with it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 08 Oct 2010, 11:01

Finally made myself a bucket. (Why are there no wooden buckets? It would make sense for you to be able to collect water but not lava in them.) I went to try and collect some lava, using the tunnel I'd dug to get to the source of the magnificent lava fall I can see from my house, scooped up the lava, and was shocked to see the lava fall drain away. Fortunately replacing the lava restarted the fall.

So, no lava pool on my home peninsula, at least for now. I amused myself by making a kind of "whirlpool tub" out of a depression behind my house using buckets of water.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 18 Oct 2010, 15:15

EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren