Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Isaac Bartram

Re: Video Games!

Post by Isaac Bartram » 20 Oct 2010, 12:34

Eric the .5b wrote: Can't never read this thread if you responded to a comment in it. :)
I know. I caught that right after I posted. I'm surprised it took so long for someone else to.

So "rarely" would be more accurate than "never", what?

I agree about football. Thus I rarely read the football thread.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Oct 2010, 12:40

Isaac Bartram wrote:I know. I caught that right after I posted. I'm surprised it took so long for someone else to.
I hadn't gotten around to responding to your post in the first place.

Myself, I don't read the football thread at all. I open it in a tab and close it, just so I don't constantly see an unread thread in the list.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 20 Oct 2010, 14:36

Eric the .5b wrote:I like FPSes. Halo was ehn,
Threadjack -- I never played Halo, but I hear Master Chief almost every morning; the voice actor is a DJ for one of the stations on my preset list.

I haven't played any FPS newer than Half-Life 2: Episode 2, but it's one of my favorite genres. For a while I was nigh-unstoppable at my office in Quake, but online somewhat more stoppable.

I cannot be stopped now, but that's more in an Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight sense: "AN OBJECT AT REST CANNOT BE STOPPED!"
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Oct 2010, 14:49

peejaybee wrote:Threadjack -- I never played Halo, but I hear Master Chief almost every morning; the voice actor is a DJ for one of the stations on my preset list....I cannot be stopped now, but that's more in an Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight sense: "AN OBJECT AT REST CANNOT BE STOPPED!"
Hah and double-hah! :)
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Oct 2010, 15:32

I think I'm getting old man mouse control dysfunction. I can't control small movements of the mouse recently. Just screwing around with Borderland, it feels like the mouse kind of sticks then jumps past where I want it to go. I'm lucky to hit people in the legs most of the time. Takes me forever (in fps terms) to line up a headshot.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Oct 2010, 15:44

JasonL wrote:I think I'm getting old man mouse control dysfunction. I can't control small movements of the mouse recently. Just screwing around with Borderland, it feels like the mouse kind of sticks then jumps past where I want it to go. I'm lucky to hit people in the legs most of the time. Takes me forever (in fps terms) to line up a headshot.
Could also be network lag and/or a worn-out mouse (or an older wireless mouse).

What's your ping to servers looking like?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Oct 2010, 16:25

Eric the .5b wrote:
JasonL wrote:I think I'm getting old man mouse control dysfunction. I can't control small movements of the mouse recently. Just screwing around with Borderland, it feels like the mouse kind of sticks then jumps past where I want it to go. I'm lucky to hit people in the legs most of the time. Takes me forever (in fps terms) to line up a headshot.
Could also be network lag and/or a worn-out mouse (or an older wireless mouse).

What's your ping to servers looking like?
I don't network game much. This is mostly between me and my own desktop. I got rid of a logitech wireless mouse because it kept hanging. Picked up a wired mouse from a friend, but I'm struggling with it as well for different reasons. Maybe a logitech as well, it has the little weights and all and a 3 setting sensitivity thing built in. Now it's a problem where it seems like I have problems with very small movements. The sensitivity is too low or too high, and it doesn't seem smooth. Maybe a physical thing where I'm not moving the mouse in small increments smoothly. Can't explain it exactly except I feel fps illiterate when I try to quickly line up shots.

Like Bioshock 2 when you do the harvest thing and everyone comes to jump your shit? That's a nightmare. I keep overcorrecting and can't quite put those first few down fast enough so I don't get surrounded.

JD

Post by JD » 20 Oct 2010, 16:33

I love the mouse that I use at home...except that once in a rare while it randomly decides I've slammed the mouse way over left (or right, or up, or down, or some combination). Usually that's harmless. If you're doing something like editing a picture, you grumble and hit Undo. In an FPS, that kind of thing leaves you staring at the sky and spinning madly, and usually dead shortly thereafter. I think I need a new mouse...

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 20 Oct 2010, 16:46

JD wrote:I love the mouse that I use at home...except that once in a rare while it randomly decides I've slammed the mouse way over left (or right, or up, or down, or some combination). Usually that's harmless. If you're doing something like editing a picture, you grumble and hit Undo. In an FPS, that kind of thing leaves you staring at the sky and spinning madly, and usually dead shortly thereafter. I think I need a new mouse...
Are you using an optical mouse on a wood-grained surface? That seems to fux0r them good and hard.
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Oct 2010, 17:09

JD wrote:I love the mouse that I use at home...except that once in a rare while it randomly decides I've slammed the mouse way over left (or right, or up, or down, or some combination). Usually that's harmless. If you're doing something like editing a picture, you grumble and hit Undo. In an FPS, that kind of thing leaves you staring at the sky and spinning madly, and usually dead shortly thereafter. I think I need a new mouse...
This is what my wireless mouse did. I got tired of "Oh, yeah I'm gonna ambush this group below me in the ravine ... grenade! Snipe! Here they come! WHY AM I LOOKING AT THE SKY!!!" Fall off cliff. Facepalm.

JD

Post by JD » 20 Oct 2010, 17:14

peejaybee wrote:Are you using an optical mouse on a wood-grained surface? That seems to fux0r them good and hard.
Oddly enough, yes. It's some synthetic printed with a wood pattern, but perhaps that is it...I'll try with something other mousing surface and see if it makes a difference.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Oct 2010, 17:26

JD wrote:
peejaybee wrote:Are you using an optical mouse on a wood-grained surface? That seems to fux0r them good and hard.
Oddly enough, yes. It's some synthetic printed with a wood pattern, but perhaps that is it...I'll try with something other mousing surface and see if it makes a difference.
That seems a very likely culprit. Because I got sick of my optical mouse doing that at the office, I sprang for a laser mouse, which has been just awesome.

At home, I use an optical trackball, so I get very fine-grained control...but it someone gets in close to me, it's very hard to spin to face them before getting murdered. I am mediocre at knife fights if I can't use stealth or surprise. If I get either of those, though... :twisted:

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Oct 2010, 09:33

some games also have "mouse smoothing" which is a translation for "controls like shit".

playing new vegas. so far (three hours in) i like it more than fallout 3. the old west theme is fun. same problems with the engine, though. no real bugs yet, and a few fights i actually had to run away from.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Oct 2010, 17:21

Eric the .5b wrote:
Isaac Bartram wrote:
I felt old when Nintendo came out.

The gaming thread is never read by me, so if y'all want to say mean things about me that's the place to do it. :)
Can't never read this thread if you responded to a comment in it. :)

A similar gap for me is football. I don't much understand football interest. Watching American football is like watching a sporting match directed by someone with a padding fetish who loses interest in the game every 30 seconds or so to look around the stadium, see what the coaches are doing, switch to some talking heads, etc. I'd rather watch Aussie rules football, and its rules seem to be weird simply for the sake of being weird. :)
I was in band, so I saw all the highschool football games, and thus gained some appreciation for them, but I'm generally a poor spectator sport spectator.

This goes double for sports video games. I just can't imagine how those even work. I've tried them off and on, and just am baffled as to the appeal.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 22 Oct 2010, 17:31

Sports games: I like the ones that let you say, "Now, if I were the coach, what the Steelers would have done was..." I think that appeals to the armchair quarterback in a lot of us, no?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Oct 2010, 20:00

I'm the opposite - I liked sports games better when they were bare simulacrums of ants vs ants. Once you needed close to a for realz playbook they became too much work.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Oct 2010, 21:56

So, how idiotic is it that I have to download every single update for Steam before I can install and use New Vegas, the game that I bought a physical copy of so that I wouldn't have to deal with Steam? Pretty idiotic, I'd say.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Oct 2010, 22:07

well, seeing as the game uses steam as its copy protection, caveat play-or.

on the plus side it's what fallout 3 should have been. i like it a lot so far.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Oct 2010, 22:11

You know what's nice abut playing games on a console? I have no idea what you guyz are referring to.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Oct 2010, 22:20

you miss a lot of stuff that way, true, but at least the nurses at the home can always prop you up with some pillows to avoid lopsided drool puddles.

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Oct 2010, 22:32

At least if they do expansion packs I won't have to deal with that idiotic windows live again.

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Oct 2010, 22:37

yeah, i mean, i like steam but i can get why people complain about it. but i've never heard anyone say "i like games for windows live".

Shem

Post by Shem » 24 Oct 2010, 00:09

I used to be pretty benign about the whole thing, but now that I'm having to delete and reinstall Steam in order to manage to (hopefully, since it hasn't worked yet) install and play the game that I spent over 50 dollars on, I'm getting pretty pissed. Paying for a game and then being treated like a criminal/captive audience for any update steam cares to shove into my computer is pretty damn annoying.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Oct 2010, 01:41

I've just started replaying Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door. Man, I love this game! Even though I am already stuck.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Shem

Post by Shem » 25 Oct 2010, 05:33

There are a lot of gay people in the Mojave Wasteland.