Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Shem

Re: Video Games!

Post by Shem »

Jadagul wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 12:31
Shem wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 01:40
Jadagul wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 20:52 With the possible exception of, I like being able to potentially outlevel the setting, and I think the Elder Scrolls games generally have enemies scale with your level?
Those particular ones do to a much heavier degree than later ones, yes.
The enemies scale with your level more in the earlier ones than the later ones, you mean?

One of my favorite bits is the bit towards the end where your character is so powerful that he can just trivialize most of the encounters, especially the old ones. That's like half the fun. :P
Newer Elder Scrolls games tend to have more level-locked enemies (though they all have a significant number of enemies that level with you, or appear when you're stronger). The oldest ones have almost none.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Baby Supply has been using all her one-on-one playtimes with me for playing Roblox. Mostly insipid "roleplay" games that are, like, what you'd get if you tried to buy The Sims on Wish. And she insists we play a boy and girl in love, but makes me stay in my own house and leave her alone in hers, so I just sit there reading tweens fight with each other in the chat.

Anyway, the other game she likes is a fashion show competition that I really enjoy playing (even though I never win because it's me versus a bunch of stupid tweens who just want to wear fairy wings). But even though the concept is great, the execution could be SO MUCH BETTER with just a few tweaks.

I've never coded anything -- I could barely even get the program to show "Hello World!" in Intro to C -- and I have no computer and no free time. But that hasn't stopped me from daydreaming/obsessing over what MY fashion show game would look like and how AMAZING it would be.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
dhex

Post by dhex »

first fallout is still dope and fun to play. plus soundtrack is good, even the afx ripoff track.

roblox is hot garbage nonsense but 10 year olds love it to death so my house has some roblox in it.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Shem

Post by Shem »

dhex wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 20:39 first fallout is still dope and fun to play. plus soundtrack is good, even the afx ripoff track.
Yeah, but, Fallout 2, dude.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

dhex wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 20:39 roblox is hot garbage nonsense but 10 year olds love it to death so my house has some roblox in it.
Does your kiddo play Piggy? Mine are all obsessed with it and I don't understand and they talk about it all the time and I'm losing my will to live.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
dhex

Post by dhex »

Shem wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 21:39
dhex wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 20:39 first fallout is still dope and fun to play. plus soundtrack is good, even the afx ripoff track.
Yeah, but, Fallout 2, dude.
i have mixed feelings on f2. it's more expansive than 1 to be sure.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dhex

Post by dhex »

Ellie wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 00:12
dhex wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 20:39 roblox is hot garbage nonsense but 10 year olds love it to death so my house has some roblox in it.
Does your kiddo play Piggy? Mine are all obsessed with it and I don't understand and they talk about it all the time and I'm losing my will to live.
no, thankfully we're doing a lot of co-op enter the gungeon these days. (which is fun and doesn't look like 90s shareware. fuck you roblox!)
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I've had dogs get cirrocis on Rimworld because they keep getting into the beer.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Got the Stellaris summer pack in the Steam sale. Am tempted to get the Megacorp DLC.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dbcooper wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 20:33 Got the Stellaris summer pack in the Steam sale. Am tempted to get the Megacorp DLC.
I'm enjoying all the DLC, myself.

In my current game with a friend, where we just decided to be merrily evil, the Weechu All is combining the evil of landing on worlds and shuffling off the inhabitants to be ranched/mined and being able to use diplomacy to keep everyone from jumping on them at once. Naturally, I used this portrait:

And just as naturally, the fanatic purgers on the other side of the galaxy who keep sending me insults are the cute butterflies.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Reinstalled Stellaris. They changed everything again. Planet management is even less comprehensible. Pops and districts snd oh goody districts count against you in yet another empire limiting thing called sprawl which used to just be the supremely irritating unity number, but now you get both thanks. Accelerated reptilian breeders somehow still breed slow as shit and new colonies are pieces of shot for centuries. Just as fun as I remember.

Seriously though that you have to expand but you can’t expand with two limiting variables that aren’t money or resources is about at about the third colony why I want to burn the game down.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Anyone tried the Star Trek: New Horizons mod for Stellaris?

https://www.reddit.com/r/STNewHorizons/
JD

Post by JD »

One of my favorite low-pressure games to spend a few minutes on is Seedship.

Capsule version: you play as the AI controlling a colony ship full of humans in suspended animation, and you have to try and find a suitable new homeworld for them; you visit a lot of unacceptable or marginally acceptable worlds along the way, while trying to keep the ship in good working order and your colonists alive; sometimes you find alien technologies or civilizations that expand your knowledge. Ideally you find a good homeworld where the colonists build an advanced, enlightened society, but sometimes they all die or revert to barbarism or end up as an impoverished minority on an alien world, with some game-end text describing their civilization.

In one game I had one of the darker possible outcomes despite the fact that my colonists ended up with "post-singularity" technology and "cosmic enlightenment" culture, and I don't think it was intentional, but my colonists had landed on a planet with neolithic-level natives, and ended up enslaving them. And they were still described as living lives of peace and luxury where all material needs were taken care of, freeing the inhabitants to learn and play and explore, except that the labor in the human communities was mostly done by a downtrodden alien slave caste. That's some pretty dystopian shit right there, to say nothing of hitting a little close to historical home.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

JD wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 14:36 One of my favorite low-pressure games to spend a few minutes on is Seedship.

Capsule version: you play as the AI controlling a colony ship full of humans in suspended animation, and you have to try and find a suitable new homeworld for them; you visit a lot of unacceptable or marginally acceptable worlds along the way, while trying to keep the ship in good working order and your colonists alive; sometimes you find alien technologies or civilizations that expand your knowledge. Ideally you find a good homeworld where the colonists build an advanced, enlightened society, but sometimes they all die or revert to barbarism or end up as an impoverished minority on an alien world, with some game-end text describing their civilization.

In one game I had one of the darker possible outcomes despite the fact that my colonists ended up with "post-singularity" technology and "cosmic enlightenment" culture, and I don't think it was intentional, but my colonists had landed on a planet with neolithic-level natives, and ended up enslaving them. And they were still described as living lives of peace and luxury where all material needs were taken care of, freeing the inhabitants to learn and play and explore, except that the labor in the human communities was mostly done by a downtrodden alien slave caste. That's some pretty dystopian shit right there, to say nothing of hitting a little close to historical home.
Well I was able to get an all "green" planet after a few tries although the means may have been questionable. I ran into a Dyson Sphere and contacted the inhabitants. They agreed to construct a world for the colonists. I agreed and they surrounded the ship and disassembled it down to atoms and then created a computer simulation where everything was perfect. Good job I guess?
JD

Post by JD »

Painboy wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 17:52 Well I was able to get an all "green" planet after a few tries although the means may have been questionable. I ran into a Dyson Sphere and contacted the inhabitants. They agreed to construct a world for the colonists. I agreed and they surrounded the ship and disassembled it down to atoms and then created a computer simulation where everything was perfect. Good job I guess?
That's up to you. :-) I mean, hey, the colonists never know the difference, so...

Wait until you get the "dictator" event, that one will (often) make you tear your hair out.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

JD wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 19:30
Painboy wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 17:52 Well I was able to get an all "green" planet after a few tries although the means may have been questionable. I ran into a Dyson Sphere and contacted the inhabitants. They agreed to construct a world for the colonists. I agreed and they surrounded the ship and disassembled it down to atoms and then created a computer simulation where everything was perfect. Good job I guess?
That's up to you. :-) I mean, hey, the colonists never know the difference, so...

Wait until you get the "dictator" event, that one will (often) make you tear your hair out.
The one who snuck into one of the suspension pods? I jettisoned his ass.
JD

Post by JD »

Painboy wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 01:30
JD wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 19:30 Wait until you get the "dictator" event, that one will (often) make you tear your hair out.
The one who snuck into one of the suspension pods? I jettisoned his ass.
If nothing else happened, you got lucky. He sometimes has some very unpleasant tricks up his frozen sleeves.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Julian Sanchez
@normative

2020 is very weird on all possible levels.
Justin Amash
@justinamash

I had no idea how Among Us worked before this Twitch stream, but this is great, and I’ve got my son speed-teaching me.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

Yesterday I had never heard of Among Us. Now it's everywhere in my tubes.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Shem

Post by Shem »

Warren wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 13:08 Yesterday I had never heard of Among Us. Now it's everywhere in my tubes.
Warren is pretty sus.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Shem wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 13:25
Warren wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 13:08 Yesterday I had never heard of Among Us. Now it's everywhere in my tubes.
Warren is pretty sus.
Are you calling an emergency meeting? I notice he often vents here.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I will buy the game if we can have a gryll lobby. Let me know.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 18:27 I will buy the game if we can have a gryll lobby. Let me know.
I'd probably go in on this deal also. Seems like the right kind of group to play with.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 18:32
Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 18:27 I will buy the game if we can have a gryll lobby. Let me know.
I'd probably go in on this deal also. Seems like the right kind of group to play with.
Or is that what you WANT us to think?
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake