Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Video Games!

Post by Highway » 21 Jun 2018, 16:17

Different servers should be in the list on the panel on the left. After you've accepted an invite, you'll have a list of them, so you can select between them. Then you pick one of the channels on that server. To talk to friends by DM, it doesn't matter what server you're on, but to see a chat channel you need to be on a server, and I don't think you can be in multiple voice channels at once.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Jun 2018, 18:32

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Jun 2018, 08:09

Hahaha hah oh God that stork walker thing
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Jun 2018, 11:54

Picked up Tyrant on steam summer sale. Undecided on if it’s good. It’s Pillars of Eternity but super dickish. Choose between murder everyone with Nazi efficiency faction and lets play Lord Humongous post apocalyptic murder games and lets survivors live faction.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 25 Jun 2018, 17:09

JasonL wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 11:54
Picked up Tyrant on steam summer sale. Undecided on if it’s good. It’s Pillars of Eternity but super dickish. Choose between murder everyone with Nazi efficiency faction and lets play Lord Humongous post apocalyptic murder games and lets survivors live faction.
It sounded like a pretty high concept rpg. If I had the time to play these things I would have already bought it simply due to my own curiosity.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Jun 2018, 17:36

That was me. It’s very dialogue heavy. There’s a mechanism that tries really hard (too hard?)to have reputation and alliances affect gameplay. Like you get combos in combat with people with whom you have higher positive juju. Lots of faction reputation dialogue effects and even durable bonuses. It’s just ... they try so hard to make it so you can’t game the social thing everything is presented as zero sum to a sometimes hilarious degree. Also there are so many operating factions personal reputations and plot bonuses they lose punch.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 15 Aug 2018, 02:02

Someone needs to forcibly separate me from my copy of Surviving Mars.

No, seriously, this is one of those calls for help or whatever...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Aug 2018, 14:36

No idea if this is any good but free?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/warh ... ace-marine

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 31 Aug 2018, 16:49

JasonL wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 14:36
No idea if this is any good but free?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/warh ... ace-marine
I have heard it is an enjoyable, if somewhat mindless, action game.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Sep 2018, 12:32

They should reboot the 40k:Fire Warrior game from the PS2. That was a good genre shooter that would be great with PC visuals.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 17 Oct 2018, 14:58

I was able to get in Google's Project Stream beta. It's another attempt to stream a game from a remote location but be playable through only a browser. They provide Assassin's Creed: Odyssey for free as the test game.

I can say it's been pretty good so far. I haven't noticed any observable input lag. Initially it played really inconsistently over wifi (lots of dropped video resolution) but when I hooked up an ethernet cable it ran really well. There can be a little pixelization in the picture when the camera moves rapidly from side to side but overall it looks like any other game on my PC. I'm going to try it on my Surface next when I get the chance. I do wonder if an FPS style game would have more problems though. AC:O has a very deliberate style of controls that don't often require super precise timing. So any input lag isn't going to be as apparent.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is pretty fun as well. I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since the second one. It's interesting how their formula has evolved. One thing that has struck about this game in particular is the body proportions they use in the game. I was first kind put off by how odd everyone appeared when I realized it was because they were using a normal head-to-body size ratio. It's been standard for a while in video games to render people in heroic proportions or even more outsized comic book proportions. I think they go as far as to make the people their actual sizes in that period where the average male height was like 5'6". So it does have the slightly odd effect of making me feel I'm talking to a bunch of munchkins.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Oct 2018, 20:30

A stoned first-time Minecrafter wandering outside at night and griping about a "penis" blowing her up is kinda hilarious.

It's also not wrong.

(Also, mod bundles in Minecraft are crazy. Direwolf20 is one of the smaller ones, apparently, and it's full of crazy, conflicting things. Two different mods for chiseling blocks that use slightly different chisel items?)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Oct 2018, 19:49

Modspawn has gotten hooked on Roblox and often will get so frustrated with the game (I'm not sure if he's just having trouble with the current objectives or if other players are being wangs) that he'll start screaming and crying. But if I say, "I think it's time for a break, you sound like you're feeling too mad" he'll clutch his tablet and scream even louder: "NO! I'M HAPPY!"

Gamers, man. I don't get you guys.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 24 Oct 2018, 11:49

Classic tilt.

eta: happens to the best of us.

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Oct 2018, 19:28

Ellie wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 19:49
Modspawn has gotten hooked on Roblox and often will get so frustrated with the game (I'm not sure if he's just having trouble with the current objectives or if other players are being wangs) that he'll start screaming and crying. But if I say, "I think it's time for a break, you sound like you're feeling too mad" he'll clutch his tablet and scream even louder: "NO! I'M HAPPY!"

Gamers, man. I don't get you guys.
The game is to him as he is to you.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Oct 2018, 21:52

Hahahaha. You are not wrong.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole