Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: Video Games!

Post by dhex » 30 Jan 2018, 22:01

Tacoma is excellent. I'd watch that movie.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Gold Pony Boy

Post by Gold Pony Boy » 30 Jan 2018, 22:26

Man. Modern consoles and PC's have spoiled me worse than I thought.

I recently tried to play Medal of Honor on the GameCube (not even that old) and there were times where I couldn't even tell what was on the screen because the graphics looked so bad to me. It honestly looked like I was walking through a hallway of brown and gray cobwebs while being shot.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Jan 2018, 01:12

mrs lunch has been a longtime fan of the Zelda franchise, and so we just got a Nintendo Twitch and the newest Zelda, Breath of the Wild. It's actually quite good. She was oohing and ahhing that it was as good as the Ocarina of Time, which is a GameCube release. I went and looked at some of the graphics from that one and was thinking, "How the hell did people know what was going on?"

And I say that as a guy who got his start with gaming on the 2600 and the state-of-the-art Commodore 64, and being wowed by the graphics in Wolfenstein 3D in 1993.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 31 Jan 2018, 01:52

lunchstealer wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 01:12
mrs lunch has been a longtime fan of the Zelda franchise, and so we just got a Nintendo Twitch and the newest Zelda, Breath of the Wild. It's actually quite good. She was oohing and ahhing that it was as good as the Ocarina of Time, which is a GameCube release. I went and looked at some of the graphics from that one and was thinking, "How the hell did people know what was going on?"

And I say that as a guy who got his start with gaming on the 2600 and the state-of-the-art Commodore 64, and being wowed by the graphics in Wolfenstein 3D in 1993.
Ocarina of Time was actually an N64 release. That was in, like, the first two years of console 3d-gaming.

Ocarina of Time was a great game and is basically the founding entry in its genre. (3d action-adventure platforming, more or less). It's also an incredible glitchy mess, as so many "created their genre" games are.

Gold Pony Boy

Post by Gold Pony Boy » 08 Feb 2018, 00:37

With all of the great, amazing games being made, I still love how the simplest ones still get me so sucked in.

I recently played this game called Spooky Jump Scare Mansion, and it owned my life for a few consecutive nights. And it looks like something some high schooler made as a project for a computer class. But it was honestly one of the most enjoyable and satisfying game experiences I've had recently.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 24 Feb 2018, 00:24

https://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind ... 688358811
The NOLF games were really good. The 2nd one still holds up really well. Another example of why IP kind of sucks and probably should have some kind of expiration dates to prevent this crap.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Feb 2018, 03:00

Ah that sucks. I’d consider playing that game again.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Shem

Post by Shem » 26 Feb 2018, 12:50

Jadagul wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 01:52
Ocarina of Time was a great game and is basically the founding entry in its genre. (3d action-adventure platforming, more or less). It's also an incredible glitchy mess, as so many "created their genre" games are.
Dude. Mario64? 28 months before OoT, and a superior platformer. OoT just has a better story and louder fanboys.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Feb 2018, 15:02

Platformers are the lowest form of game. Is a “good” one like you have to time a ledge jump before thing runs into you a million times instead of a mere thousand?

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 26 Feb 2018, 15:28

Shem wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 12:50
Jadagul wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 01:52
Dude. Mario64? 28 months before OoT, and a superior platformer. OoT just has a better story and louder fanboys.
The "action-adventure" phrase in there was my attempt to distinguish from Mario 64, actually. OoT and Mario 64 are clearly different genres, even if I'm not sure exactly what phrase is supposed to describe OoT.

I would in fact say most of the same things about Mario 64 that I did about OoT. It's a great game; it almost completely invented its genre; and it's a glitchy mess. (Though not nearly as much of a glitchy mess as OoT was, to be fair).

Shem

Post by Shem » 26 Feb 2018, 16:54

OoT is Action-RPG, in that case.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Feb 2018, 01:17

Painboy wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 00:24
https://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind ... 688358811
The NOLF games were really good. The 2nd one still holds up really well. Another example of why IP kind of sucks and probably should have some kind of expiration dates to prevent this crap.
Forgot to point out that you look like you could use a monkey.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2018, 13:27

Grabbed Stellar Tactics on Steam - I didn't realize at the time it was still in beta. At this point of development it isn't a great game. It's a combo of annoying inventory and interface things and the sameness of combat. There are no tactics in stellar tactics. You just turn based stand in there, focus fire on one bad and take your hits. Cover doesn't seem to matter. It has space combat that is basically "line up fast charge shield, broadside bad guy with auto targeting turrets, burn and turn," but it takes forever to get a ship down. Also, it is missing elements like highlight the quest, create an auto nav marker. So you are in a system with say 9 destinations and you have to actually look around in space for the speck. That surely can't be the final version of navigation. Sigh. I just wanted a space game ...

Jake

Post by Jake » 05 Mar 2018, 13:33

JasonL wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 13:27
You just turn based stand in there, focus fire on one bad and take your hits. Cover doesn't seem to matter.
They should have called it "Stellar Tactic".
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2018, 13:40

Ha! Yup.

The only tactic I see is there's an incentive to switch to sidearm fairly frequently. It's an action points thing, so you shoot twice say with a rifle then switch and shoot one more because it's less AP to switch and shoot than to shoot the rifle again even with rounds in the mag. So, that's weird.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Mar 2018, 21:38

Yo! Jason! Head over to sellaris again. The new patch alone is worth your time for a bit.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2018, 23:04

Aight

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Mar 2018, 14:51

Battletech comes out next month. It looks pretty good.

Fucking House Liao.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Mar 2018, 18:58

I’m in.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Apr 2018, 18:15

Hairbrained Schemes had a kind of launch event in Seattle so I was able to play with a build that had one of the single player missions on it. The game looks really good and plays well. It has a nice clean interface and they added some things to take advantage of the PC. There is a fog of war but it also incorporates sensors so within the fog of war you will see contacts with limited information. So you might see an icon of a mech that gives a weight but that's it. The heavier the mech, I believe, the more quickly you'll see them. That and the way initiative works makes lighter mechs extremely useful. Lighter mechs go first but also can defer their turn until the end. This allows them to take back to back actions in some cases. Like move and fire and then move away before that Awesome turns around and vaporizes them.

They were able to get both melee and Death from Above into the game. One of the more amusing moments I saw was when somebody used a Victor(80 tons) and death from above'd on a PPC tank and just flattened it. I was also curious how certain mechs would melee since there are mechs like the Rifleman and Jaegermech with only guns for arms. When they melee attack they rather humorously just do I kind of headbutt into the opposing mech.

Overall it looks like a really fun game and I'm pretty stoked about it.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 02 Apr 2018, 12:29

I'd be interested in playing with, or destroying utterly, you guys. Although I always thought that Battletech was Go-Bots to Mechwarrior's Transformers.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Apr 2018, 14:24

Death from above worries me. I remember playing world of tanks many moons ago. Jumped off a bridge to splat a Churchill. I just blew up. Churchill drove on while chat on both sides made fun of me. :(
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 13 Apr 2018, 22:21

My $150 Elite controller is getting stick drift. I knew I should have got the stupid protection plan.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 25 Apr 2018, 15:08

Painboy wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 22:21
My $150 Elite controller is getting stick drift. I knew I should have got the stupid protection plan ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog.
Live and learn!

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 25 Apr 2018, 20:01

Dangerman wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 15:08
Painboy wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 22:21
My $150 Elite controller is getting stick drift. I knew I should have got the stupid protection plan ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog.
Live and learn!
It's a little hard to play Dark Souls with a HOTAS.

In continuing bad news the new Battletech game I helped Kickstart softlocks on load. Whoopee.