Portable Techno-Capitalism

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by JD » 14 Nov 2018, 12:29

My wife finally twigged to the fact that when the cell phone company says "Only $37.50/mo for 24 months!", they're still charging you $900 and is now less excited about getting a new phone. In all seriousness, doesn't it seem like the companies used to cut you big deals when you signed a contract, but now they're basically making you pay retail prices regardless?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Nov 2018, 12:37

They seemed to cut you a big deal, but actually didn't because they priced their service to make up for the deal you got (with those penalties for trying to get out of your contract). I vastly prefer the current transparent pricing and a la carte phones.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Nov 2018, 16:17

Earlier this year, we signed two year contract for AT&T + Direct TV bundle came with iPhone 8 for $200.

twigged?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Nov 2018, 16:24

It means "caught on". And there are still specials to be had, like Verizon offering a free Google Pixel 3... if you put it on a new line. The deal to open a new contract is going to be significantly better. But the old "subsidized phone" wireless deals were just shifting the price from paid up front to paid throughout the life of the contract. The amount you paid up front was, essentially, the difference between the amount they priced into the contract and the amount the phone cost. That's why cheaper phones were "free", and iPhones were like 300 dollars.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Nov 2018, 20:45

Highway wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 16:24
It means "caught on". And there are still specials to be had, like Verizon offering a free Google Pixel 3... if you put it on a new line. The deal to open a new contract is going to be significantly better. But the old "subsidized phone" wireless deals were just shifting the price from paid up front to paid throughout the life of the contract. The amount you paid up front was, essentially, the difference between the amount they priced into the contract and the amount the phone cost. That's why cheaper phones were "free", and iPhones were like 300 dollars.
Of course since you didn't get a price drop when your contract ran out unless you called to renegotiate, it didn't make that much sense to wait. Now unless you're dissatisfied with your phone there's not a lot of incentive not to run out the clock. So to keep the phone revenue coming in (and to keep you locked into something like a contract) they let you buy a new phone before your old one is paid off.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Nov 2018, 22:23

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 20:45
Highway wrote:
Of course since you didn't get a price drop when your contract ran out unless you called to renegotiate, it didn't make that much sense to wait. Now unless you're dissatisfied with your phone there's not a lot of incentive not to run out the clock. So to keep the phone revenue coming in (and to keep you locked into something like a contract) they let you buy a new phone before your old one is paid off.
Actually, pretty much the worst choice is waiting until you've paid off the current phone, and then going to get another one as soon as it's paid off. You are always paying for a new phone, and you have to wait 2 years for a new phone. Generally, they'll do a trade-in for the 1/2 value that's left after a year, effectively paying off the rest of the phone. That way you get a new phone every year. The other option is to wait as long as you can with the old phone and not pay for any phone for a while. We just replaced Galaxy S6's with new phones, but that was after a year of no phone payments. There wasn't any trade-in value, but there was a year of no payments.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Nov 2018, 01:08

Highway wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 22:23
lunchstealer wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 20:45
Highway wrote:
Actually, pretty much the worst choice is waiting until you've paid off the current phone, and then going to get another one as soon as it's paid off. You are always paying for a new phone, and you have to wait 2 years for a new phone. Generally, they'll do a trade-in for the 1/2 value that's left after a year, effectively paying off the rest of the phone. That way you get a new phone every year. The other option is to wait as long as you can with the old phone and not pay for any phone for a while. We just replaced Galaxy S6's with new phones, but that was after a year of no phone payments. There wasn't any trade-in value, but there was a year of no payments.
Sorry yeah there's no reason not to go three years without making a phone payment since your bill automatically drops for several months at the end.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Dec 2018, 10:56

Recommend me an android phone under a few hundred US dollars?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 20 Dec 2018, 11:17

Dangerman wrote:
20 Dec 2018, 10:56
No
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 20 Dec 2018, 11:20

Dangerman wrote:
But sure. Galaxy grand prime is what I own. Costs about $200. Pretty damn good for what it is. Don't drop it repeatedly is my only warning*.

*i have young children that have to watch bob the train or pjmask. they just throw my phone around when it doesn't play what they want to watch. Now it resets everytime it gets set down less than gently.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Dec 2018, 11:25

Dangerman wrote:
See if a friend's got a year-and-a-half-to-two-year-old high-end one that's eligible for upgrade? A lot of people get fed up with a phone with low battery life, but a replacement battery is often less than $100, and then the older high-end phone becomes a very solid middle-end phone for sometimes less than a cheapo phone would cost new.

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Dec 2018, 12:04

Highway wrote:
But...my plan is also more expensive now.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 20 Dec 2018, 20:13

Dangerman wrote:
LG Stylo 4. I paid about $250 on Amazon for mine, and am pretty happy with it so far.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Dec 2018, 20:24

Samsung Galaxy J3 Emerge. I've been super happy with mine. It's survived a lot of drops and even one toilet dunk (not two, alas, but I had insurance fortunately). The hard case for it was like $10 on Amazon.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Dec 2018, 20:45

Thank you Pham and Ellie, and also everyone else! Those sound like a place to start with reviews.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Dec 2018, 02:15

Dangerman wrote:
How much is a OnePlus 5T going for now?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Dec 2018, 10:36

Looks like $380 to $499. Probably a bit outside my range without rebates.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 21 Dec 2018, 16:53

A bit early in the life cycle to see how it plays out but I just picked up an unlocked Moto G6 for <$200 at Amazon. Last season's Moto X4 has better specs for about the same price. So far on the G6 the only annoying thing I've found is that in a marginal reception scenario, with the phone held in landscape, your hands will block the antenna.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Jan 2019, 11:29

Anyone have any ideas for tracking page data usage on Android chrome. I've got chrome just killing my mobile data, like 2.5 gb in a month. My first thought is that it's video ads, but don't know if it's on a particular site or couple.

Related, anyone have any suggestions for blocking ads on Android? Either through chrome or some other browser you've used.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Jan 2019, 21:57

Highway wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 11:29
Anyone have any ideas for tracking page data usage on Android chrome. I've got chrome just killing my mobile data, like 2.5 gb in a month. My first thought is that it's video ads, but don't know if it's on a particular site or couple.

Related, anyone have any suggestions for blocking ads on Android? Either through chrome or some other browser you've used.
You can use AdGuard's DNS servers for OS level blocking without root.

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

I use magisk to root my phone, and AdFree Android to set a HOSTS file. There are other apps for setting the HOSTS entries.

Brave (from former Mozilla CTO Brandon Eich) is supposed to be good as a browser with ad blocking built in. It's based on Chromium.

Firefox's tracker blocking works pretty well to block ads. You can use uBlock Origin with it too.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Highway

Post by Highway » Yesterday, 13:14

Brave seems to have helped a lot. Unfortunately you can't use the adguard dns over mobile data, just on wifi.

Thanks for the help!