Portable Techno-Capitalism

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Mo » 22 Apr 2011, 11:31

dbcooper wrote:Does anyone other than apple still make HDD mp3 players?
I believe the Zune still has HDD models
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 22 Apr 2011, 11:49

Mo wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Does anyone other than apple still make HDD mp3 players?
I believe the Zune still has HDD models
But they discontinued it:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110315/tc_ ... d_products
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Apr 2011, 13:24

That's a shame. It actually ended up being a good music player and was superior to the iPod. Oh the irony.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 22 Apr 2011, 14:18

Mo wrote:
That's a shame. It actually ended up being a good music player and was superior to the iPod. Oh the irony.
What comes around...

Fuel for the pyre:
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Jul 2011, 22:35

I'm eligible to upgrade my phone with Verizon. I'd kind of like to replace the Blackberry Storm. My desires for a phone are pretty simple:

Email
Web
Calling
Texting
Calendar and contacts synched with Google
Ability to open and edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and ability to open .pdf
Apps are nice, but, to be honest, I don't use them much.* Furthermore, I still read my books on paper.** And I don't use my phone for music or watching TV shows or movies.
Reliability. The Storm was bug-plagued, and I don't want to deal with that again.

Anyway, given those factors, the basic questions are:
1) iPhone or Droid?
2) If Droid, Motoral, HTC, or Samsung? (That's what Verizon is offering me.)

*No, really, I'm sure your favorite app is great. I'm just not much into them. Yes, I'm sure. No, really, I believe you. I am sure that your favorite app really is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm just not much into apps. I'm sure I'm missing lots of things, but I just don't care. I apologize for this.

**Yes, I know how awful I am for not using e-readers. I'm aware that this makes me a horrible, antiquated person.

***The above disclaimers are the result of having a colleague who seems to believe that the iPad is better than Jesus, Mohammed, the Buddha, and a Juicer all rolled up into one, and hence must be prosyletized about constantly.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 Jul 2011, 22:40

Well, syncing the calendar and contacts with Google is going to be easier if you have a droid--that actually comes out of the box, you literally don't have to do anything and it's happened by the time the Verizon guy hands you the phone.

I've never been terribly happy with the default Droid office apps, but I don't know much about them because I don't use those file formats basically ever (word and powerpoint are both completely replaced by LaTeX; Excel I use but not often).

I know absolutely nothing about the iPhone since Apple is evil incarnate and must be purged from the earth. But I figured throwing out my droid experience might be helpful.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Jul 2011, 22:40

thoreau wrote: Anyway, given those factors, the basic questions are:
1) iPhone or Droid?
2) If Droid, Motoral, HTC, or Samsung? (That's what Verizon is offering me.)
If you use a Mac computer, get an iPhone. If not, get a Droid.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jul 2011, 23:42

Jadagul wrote:Well, syncing the calendar and contacts with Google is going to be easier if you have a droid--that actually comes out of the box, you literally don't have to do anything and it's happened by the time the Verizon guy hands you the phone.
While this is true, once you set up your GMail account on your iPhone, your Google calendar will sync with your phone's calendar, so it's pretty trivial to set up.

If you get an Android phone, I would suggest a Motorola. I've heard excellent things about the Droid line. Also, with Android, you get Swype. If you want to have a physical keyboard, get an Android. Editing Excel on a phone is an abortion either way, but on the iPhone, you'll have to pay for the privilege of being annoyed doing it (though I'm of the opinion that you get what you pay for with apps). FWIW, my wife has not been happy with the way her Droid X syncs with her non-Gmail accounts, while I am quite pleased with my iPhone's handling of non-Gmail email accounts. As for reliability, you should be fine with the iPhone and any Android with the newest OS should be good as well.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Jul 2011, 23:45

Jadagul wrote:I've never been terribly happy with the default Droid office apps, but I don't know much about them because I don't use those file formats basically ever (word and powerpoint are both completely replaced by LaTeX; Excel I use but not often).
Oh god. TeX snobbery.

1) I'm not a huge fan of Word, but some short, simple things are, well, simpler in Word (or some other WYSIWIG platform). Sometimes I don't want to debug code while writing a quick, short little thing.
2) You probably only have to work with a fairly limited number of people at your stage. I have to send documents to and receive documents from a whole lot of people who aren't Tex-savvy. Hence Word (or Open Office, or Google Docs) is a requirement in my work. And no matter what your math professors say in public, behind closed doors, when none of their snobby geek friends are looking, they probably do a certain amount of work in some program that can read and edit Word documents.
3) My mind boggles at the thought that presentations are easy in laTeX. They're probably simple in LaTeX if you just have a handful of figures that you created yourself and a lot of equations. However, as soon as you're copying and pasting graphics from elsewhere, in order to use them in LaTeX you have to first paste them into a graphics program and save them as a .eps before you can use them in LaTeX. If you want to add an arrow from your text to some feature in the picture, I'm guessing that doing it in LaTeX requires a lot of trial and error to get right. Even my LaTeX-evangelist thesis advisor hates doing lines and arrows in LaTeX.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Jul 2011, 00:12

thoreau wrote:
Jadagul wrote:I've never been terribly happy with the default Droid office apps, but I don't know much about them because I don't use those file formats basically ever (word and powerpoint are both completely replaced by LaTeX; Excel I use but not often).
Oh god. TeX snobbery.

1) I'm not a huge fan of Word, but some short, simple things are, well, simpler in Word (or some other WYSIWIG platform). Sometimes I don't want to debug code while writing a quick, short little thing.
2) You probably only have to work with a fairly limited number of people at your stage. I have to send documents to and receive documents from a whole lot of people who aren't Tex-savvy. Hence Word (or Open Office, or Google Docs) is a requirement in my work. And no matter what your math professors say in public, behind closed doors, when none of their snobby geek friends are looking, they probably do a certain amount of work in some program that can read and edit Word documents.
3) My mind boggles at the thought that presentations are easy in laTeX. They're probably simple in LaTeX if you just have a handful of figures that you created yourself and a lot of equations. However, as soon as you're copying and pasting graphics from elsewhere, in order to use them in LaTeX you have to first paste them into a graphics program and save them as a .eps before you can use them in LaTeX. If you want to add an arrow from your text to some feature in the picture, I'm guessing that doing it in LaTeX requires a lot of trial and error to get right. Even my LaTeX-evangelist thesis advisor hates doing lines and arrows in LaTeX.
Not snobbery so much as the last time I went to do something in word, I paused, thought about it for a minute, then went and did it in LaTeX and it was much nicer that way. I still have it, of course, but only for when I'm editing other people's documents. Anything short enough that it's easier in word should be in plain text anyway.

Presentations are really easy in LaTeX if you use Beamer, although based on the experience of my applied-physics ex the standards for "acceptable amounts of glitz in a presentation" are much lower in my field than in some. You are making things way harder than they need to be, though--TeX handles jpg and png and such just fine, and actually also pdf. The only time I've ever used eps at all is when one of the profs I was working for had some weird program for editing eps files that he liked.

That said, I've never actually wanted to have an arrow point from text to the picture. I started to talk about how I'd do it, but realized that I have no idea because it's literally something that's never occurred to me. In a "why on earth would I ever want to do that?" sort of way. But you're right, I don't think there's a neat way to handle it. The most complicated things I've wanted from figures is to have them appear one at a time, at generally sensible relative positions, and that's quite easy. (I made this presentation in LaTeX, for instance: http://jaydaigle.net/jay_daigle_thesis_2-22.pdf Now with cat macros!).

It does probably help that I'm fast enough with TeX to take class notes in it.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Jul 2011, 00:18

Jadagul wrote:based on the experience of my applied-physics ex the standards for "acceptable amounts of glitz in a presentation" are much lower in my field than in some.
That said, I've never actually wanted to have an arrow point from text to the picture. I started to talk about how I'd do it, but realized that I have no idea because it's literally something that's never occurred to me. In a "why on earth would I ever want to do that?" sort of way.
Yeah, probably a field-dependent thing. In pure math I assume that most of your pictures are geometrical figures, stick diagrams, or computer-generated plots. In most other fields, often there's a complicated graph with several different features, noise, spike, and other weird things, so drawing an arrow from a textbox to a feature of the graph, and saying "This feature means blah blah blah" is important.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Jul 2011, 12:59

OK, next question: Among the Motorola Droid phones, my choices are:

Droid 3 ($169)
Droid X2 ($169)
Droid Pro ($119)
Droid 2 Global ($119)

Those prices include renewal discounts and all that.

Any advice? My gut is to go with the 3, because it must be the newest (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's likely to be supported for the longest, but I don't know if, being the newest, it still has some kinks to work out.
--Mo

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 11 Jul 2011, 17:58

thoreau wrote:OK, next question: Among the Motorola Droid phones, my choices are:

Droid 3 ($169)
Droid X2 ($169)
Droid Pro ($119)
Droid 2 Global ($119)

Those prices include renewal discounts and all that.

Any advice? My gut is to go with the 3, because it must be the newest (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's likely to be supported for the longest, but I don't know if, being the newest, it still has some kinks to work out.
The big question on these is "do you care about having a physical keyboard"? Because I do. Which means that I currently have a Droid, and I've been waiting for the Droid 3 to come out (on Thursday, supposedly) to upgrade, since my old phone is...slowing down. Probably from installing too much crap and updating the operating system too much. If you don't want a physical keyboard, I doubt the droid 3 has any big advantages, and probably a big disadvantage or 2, over the X2 (which is basically as new as the 3, I think--maybe a month older? The X came out simultaneously with the Droid 2).

The last thing to think about is whether you plan to travel outside of the country much/at all. If you do, a global phone is totally worth it.

JD

Post by JD » 11 Jul 2011, 18:01

You know, I bought the Droid 2 instead of the Droid X because I really wanted a physical keyboard. It wasn't long before I realized that I never, ever used that physical keyboard anymore.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 11 Jul 2011, 18:05

JD wrote:You know, I bought the Droid 2 instead of the Droid X because I really wanted a physical keyboard. It wasn't long before I realized that I never, ever used that physical keyboard anymore.
Really? I definitely always use it. Hard to touch-type on a screen. What do you use, Swype? I might give it a try.

JD

Post by JD » 12 Jul 2011, 10:07

Jadagul wrote:
JD wrote:You know, I bought the Droid 2 instead of the Droid X because I really wanted a physical keyboard. It wasn't long before I realized that I never, ever used that physical keyboard anymore.
Really? I definitely always use it. Hard to touch-type on a screen. What do you use, Swype? I might give it a try.
Yeah, Swype, which is not perfect but is still pretty amazing. The only place it's less than completely useful is stuff like entering serial numbers and such, for which you can always fall back to poking. I doubt you're going to be touch-typing on the Droid's physical keyboard, anyway, not with those small, stiff chiclet keys. I use the physical keyboard for maybe five or ten minutes a month, tops, and that's largely because I am doing stuff like entering serial numbers.

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Jul 2011, 14:51

I've found in less than a week that Swype is definitely the way to go, rather than poking. It's extremely fault tolerant, so every word that I can swype in, I do. Setting up a new phone, a lot of it is putting in passwords and email addresses, so it doesn't work well for that, but for texts and emails, they go much much faster with it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 Jul 2011, 18:39

JD wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Yeah, Swype, which is not perfect but is still pretty amazing. The only place it's less than completely useful is stuff like entering serial numbers and such, for which you can always fall back to poking. I doubt you're going to be touch-typing on the Droid's physical keyboard, anyway, not with those small, stiff chiclet keys. I use the physical keyboard for maybe five or ten minutes a month, tops, and that's largely because I am doing stuff like entering serial numbers.
I mean, I do touch-type. Enough that when I was using a phone with a different QWERTY keyboard (god is that word weird to type) for a couple weeks I kept mistyping, because my thumbs knew where the keys were.

I've usually found predictive things really annoying because I use lots of weird words, especially when texting (my vocabulary gets larger and stranger when I'm trying to fit a lot of ideas into a small space). Might have to give it a try, though, because it would be nice to get a phone with 4G network access and the Droid 3 won't have it.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Jul 2011, 14:22

Anyone using Cowon mp3/media players? Am looking for an HDD player with good sound quality. Maybe the Cowon X7?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Jul 2011, 14:38

i have used cowon mp3 players in the past. the iaudio 7 is fucking fantastic. but not hdd. their EQ is excellent and battery life is fucking ridiculous. (50+ hours) i would not hesitate to recommend their products.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 13 Jul 2011, 14:47

dbcooper wrote:Anyone using Cowon mp3/media players? Am looking for an HDD player with good sound quality. Maybe the Cowon X7?
I loved loved loved my iAudio X5. Then the wife went iPod. I slowly converted to the dark side. I have heard similar responses to the X7, so I feel pretty conifdent in this.

The upisdes will be great sound, and easy interface to PC (drag and drop). The controls are probably a bit odd, but since the X7 went touch screen, maybe not.

The biggest downside? Accessories. There won't be much other than what Cowon offers. But I give a hearty thumbs up to the Cowon. I'd probably be using it still if it hadn't gone wacky on me after the umpteenth time I dropped it.

Also, if you're some kind of nut that keeps everything in FLAC (like me) it's about the only game going.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Jul 2011, 15:01

Cool. :) It's either that or a portable DAC/headphone amp. :o
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 15 Jul 2011, 05:19

Okay, so is there a trick to swype that I'm not getting? Pausing after each word to wait for it to guess what I'm typing is really really annoying.

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Jul 2011, 08:59

Jadagul wrote:Okay, so is there a trick to swype that I'm not getting? Pausing after each word to wait for it to guess what I'm typing is really really annoying.
Is that when it's showing the multiple words to choose from, or are you having to wait more than a half second just for it to process every word? I am likely slow, but I'm not having to wait for the phone to guess.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 15 Jul 2011, 10:09

Jadagul wrote:Okay, so is there a trick to swype that I'm not getting? Pausing after each word to wait for it to guess what I'm typing is really really annoying.
I would ask basically the same thing as Highway. Am I reading it correctly that you're swyping a word, and then there's a pause before the word appears? My phone (Droid 2) doesn't normally do that, although it does occasionally stutter when it's trying to do something else in the background.