Portable Techno-Capitalism

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Mo » 08 Sep 2016, 13:57

Sandy wrote:Shorter this thread:

It's not like noise canceling headphones were cheap.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Sep 2016, 14:35

I have to buy a new car audio system which with modern cars' audio integration may mean I have to buy a new car to use my iPhone for audio in my car unless I don't want to power my phone from the USB/Lightning port.

Seriously, if an old hadn't killed my not-that-old '08 Subaru I wouldn't even be able to consider an iPhone 7 until someone came up with some sort of weird hybridized lighter-powered charger-cum-aux-jack-converter. If I want to charge my phone and listen on a plane, I also have to have a super special converter, which is probably different than the super special converter for the car.

I could give a crap about having to switch to a stupid proprietary thing, although it does mean that I can't have a single set of headphones that I can use with both my Macbook Pro and my iPhone so now on a trip I have to carry two sets of headphones (four if I want spares) or use a stupid ass dongle. USB-C would have at least solved that for future Macbooks, Unless they're planning to suddenly add a Lightning-out port on the Macbook line, which would be dumb as hell.

I don't mind Apple ditching older, arguably deprecated tech to force people to newer better solutions. I just don't want that to break a bunch of really common use cases beyond repair.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Sep 2016, 15:12

I kind of don't get this...I mean, aren't you going to be more pissed you have to spend additional money when the phone is so pricey? It cost me a fucking thousand dollars last time I got a new phone, the shit is out of hand and only getting outer of hand.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 08 Sep 2016, 15:29

I'm going to be the contrarian here. As I sit here, I'm looking at a stack of earbuds that have literally never been out of the plastic box. I've plugged in a set of earbuds to this generation of phone maybe once? I don't use my phone for music unless I'm in the car, in which case it's bluetooth. Even then, more than half the time I'm using my iPod. Now when my iPod dies, I'll have a sad about the parlous state of portable music players and blame Apple for it. Until then I can't get upset that Apple got rid of a feature I never used. I think it's kinda dumb to pull the jack, but then I look at my use case and have to wonder how many people are like me. I mean, usually the answer is 'not enough to matter', but maybe I'm in a majority for once.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Sep 2016, 15:30

So reading through comments on some tech thread brought this observation to light:
A) Phone is way too thin to hold comfortably, needs a case to bulk it up.
B) Camera is too long for the case thickness so they had to add a "bump out" for the lens.
C) Why not reclaim that case space, keep the 3.5 and add more battery?

It really does feel like a "because we can" move rather than anything productive. Also, I agree with the USB-C vs Lightning thing.
Looking at specs, this brand spanking new phone is already behind the curve WRT the 6 month old Samsung S7 (with the notable exception of the rear camera) at the same price point.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Sep 2016, 15:35

lunchstealer wrote:
Sandy wrote:At the rate people go through headphones, eliminating 3.5mm is just not that big a deal to me.
That's actually a really good argument for keeping the 3.5mm. If I lose my $15 3.5mm headphones, nbd. I have to lose or break 19 of them before I'm out as much as if I lose one pair of $150 Air Buds.
The best argument I've heard against it is the inability to use wired headphones and charge the thing at the same time. Dunno if lightning supports splitting.

Anyway, now people accept that USB replacing ADB and losing the floppy is acceptable, but at the time, I heard more or less the same "muh legacy" arguments, and I suspect once again other manufacturers will follow suit. It was just crappy of Apple not to do what they did with USB and switch to USB-C so they could reassure that non-Apple products could use the headphones, etc.
When I lost the 3.5", I couldn't play my 1988 copy of Red Storm Rising anymore. I had a sad.

I had that on the Commodore 64.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Sep 2016, 16:35

This move would be a lot more palatable if Apple had made inductive charging standard as well.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 08 Sep 2016, 16:54

tr0g wrote:I'm going to be the contrarian here. As I sit here, I'm looking at a stack of earbuds that have literally never been out of the plastic box. I've plugged in a set of earbuds to this generation of phone maybe once? I don't use my phone for music unless I'm in the car, in which case it's bluetooth.
I ride the subway to work every day in New York City, an environment in which many people are using their devices to listen to music via headphones. Obviously people who don't use headphones have a different set of priorities, but I would say that wired headphones outnumber wireless headphones at least ten to one, despite the ubiquity of Bluetooth on devices these days.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Sep 2016, 17:15

I would have liked to go back to an iPhone next time, having never really gotten the hang of the Android, but Apple's predictable "Fuck the rest of the market, we'll do what we want" attitude with the mini-jack is a major strike against them.

I don't consider a smartphone a proper music delivery device under the best of circumstances, but I haven't had any problem with the Bluetooth connection in the car either for phone calls or porting music. By the time I buy my next car, I expect the connectivity will be even better and the phone screen will probably pop up on the big dashboard screen or some such.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Sep 2016, 19:22

D.A. Ridgely wrote:I would have liked to go back to an iPhone next time, having never really gotten the hang of the Android, but Apple's predictable "Fuck the rest of the market, we'll do what we want" attitude with the mini-jack is a major strike against them.

I don't consider a smartphone a proper music delivery device under the best of circumstances, but I haven't had any problem with the Bluetooth connection in the car either for phone calls or porting music. By the time I buy my next car, I expect the connectivity will be even better and the phone screen will probably pop up on the big dashboard screen or some such.
Maybe this speaks to the quality of my vehicles but I much prefer music over BT due to alternator noise when charging the phone.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Sep 2016, 20:45

JD wrote:
tr0g wrote:I'm going to be the contrarian here. As I sit here, I'm looking at a stack of earbuds that have literally never been out of the plastic box. I've plugged in a set of earbuds to this generation of phone maybe once? I don't use my phone for music unless I'm in the car, in which case it's bluetooth.
I ride the subway to work every day in New York City, an environment in which many people are using their devices to listen to music via headphones. Obviously people who don't use headphones have a different set of priorities, but I would say that wired headphones outnumber wireless headphones at least ten to one, despite the ubiquity of Bluetooth on devices these days.
In my experience, Bluetooth devices have been OK for voice chatter, but have sucked for music. And I don't have Bluetooth in my car stereo.

I'm vaguely pondering getting an iPhone with the upgrade I've got pending at Verizon; it likely won't be a 7, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2016, 23:27

Sprint obviously isn't targeting people who know anything about uptime percentages, but a 1% reliability difference is pretty big. Like if Verizon has perfect uptime, that means Sprint is down 4 days a year. And that's the best case. Yeah, 99% reliability sounds good until you actually think about it for a bit.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Sep 2016, 23:48

Mo wrote:Sprint obviously isn't targeting people who know anything about uptime percentages, but a 1% reliability difference is pretty big. Like if Verizon has perfect uptime, that means Sprint is down 4 days a year. And that's the best case. Yeah, 99% reliability sounds good until you actually think about it for a bit.
When you do think about it for a bit you realize that 1% down from perfect is the difference between 8,760 hours per year and 8,664. Or, since it's probably pretty rare that any particular downtime event is too short to measure in hours, the difference between 525,600 and 519,840 minutes. Which, I mean, doesn't seem like a lot considering the number of those minutes spent eating or sleeping or working or peeing instead of doing some data stuff on your phone.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Sep 2016, 00:26

Sprint's network may be close to "as reliable as" Verizon, but it's still crap. No speed, terrible towers, poor signal. If they were anywhere near as good overall as Verizon and AT&T, they wouldn't be advertising cut rate prices and "We're almost as good!" I'm so glad I dumped Sprint's network.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Sep 2016, 08:51

That is the saddest, most desperate ad campaign I've seen in decades.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Sep 2016, 12:44

It is sad and desperate, which for Sprint is the truthest in advertising in the history of advertising.

The thing is that Verizon doesn't have 100% reliability, with Sprint claiming to have 99% reliability. It's Verizon having some number that would be less than 100% (which is probably not how anyone would state it, rather using some metric like average time between dropped calls) and Sprint having 99% of that number.

If it's just dropped calls rather than straight up outages, the difference between 99 minutes without a dropped call and 100 minutes without a dropped call, that's a much less important difference. Basically it only shows up on really long hold times with Verizon customer service or on calls with your mom that you'd just as soon not be a part of, or certain long conference calls that you'd endure weeks in Abu Ghraib rather than sit through. If you're talking long enough that those kinds of drop percentages really matter, you've already lost. I lose frequently. And because my sole work phone is a mobile, that means I drop some calls, some of which are important*. But going one more minute before that call drops isn't going to help.

Admittedly, back in '02/'03, I moved to a place with super shitty Sprint coverage, and it was the suck because I didn't have a landline. A certain gryller can attest to how annoying that was. When I moved again, it was more or less flawless from there on. They've all improved from there. I switched to Cingular for unrelated reasons, and ended up with some squirrelly service issues at one point or another. Still, wouldn't go back to Sprint. And I'm grandfathered in to an unlimited data deal with the Death Star, so I'm unlikely to switch to T-Mobile or Verizon any time soon.

*Fortunately the customer I spend the most time talking to is also my wireless provider, with the engineering team responsible for designing the RAN. If I drop a call with them, they know it's literally their fault.

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Sep 2016, 13:03

My biggest problem with Sprint's network wasn't dropped calls. I don't make enough calls that any of them would get dropped, even if the network was 50% reliable. It was their horrible data. There were many locations that I'd have 4 bars and a 4G symbol and no throughput. It was impossible to count on the phone anywhere. And it wasn't a horrible cheap phone, it was a Samsung Galaxy S3, one gen old at the time.

Just like Comcast, Sprint is a company that's lost my business forever unless there is no other choice (I won't preclude the possibility of moving somewhere that only has Comcast, but it would certainly be a "ehhh, that's one reason to not move there..." factor).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Sep 2016, 13:24

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Sep 2016, 13:52

lunchstealer wrote:It is sad and desperate, which for Sprint is the truthest in advertising in the history of advertising.

The thing is that Verizon doesn't have 100% reliability, with Sprint claiming to have 99% reliability. It's Verizon having some number that would be less than 100% (which is probably not how anyone would state it, rather using some metric like average time between dropped calls) and Sprint having 99% of that number.

If it's just dropped calls rather than straight up outages, the difference between 99 minutes without a dropped call and 100 minutes without a dropped call, that's a much less important difference. Basically it only shows up on really long hold times with Verizon customer service or on calls with your mom that you'd just as soon not be a part of, or certain long conference calls that you'd endure weeks in Abu Ghraib rather than sit through. If you're talking long enough that those kinds of drop percentages really matter, you've already lost. I lose frequently. And because my sole work phone is a mobile, that means I drop some calls, some of which are important*. But going one more minute before that call drops isn't going to help.
Alternatively, it's a bunch of annoying 1 second voice outages every minute and 40 seconds of talk time. Or annoying stalls and studders when watching video or streaming music.

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Sep 2016, 08:04

Mo wrote:Sprint obviously isn't targeting people who know anything about uptime percentages, but a 1% reliability difference is pretty big. Like if Verizon has perfect uptime, that means Sprint is down 4 days a year. And that's the best case. Yeah, 99% reliability sounds good until you actually think about it for a bit.
i'm pretty sure the targeted marketing campaigns that pivot around "our desired population understands basic statistics" makes up like .0000007% of all consumer campaigns. maybe less.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 13 Sep 2016, 13:10

dhex wrote:
i'm pretty sure the targeted marketing campaigns that pivot around "our desired population understands basic statistics" makes up like .0000007% of all consumer campaigns. maybe less.
My statistics education tells me I can round that down to 'none' with no noticeable effects.

Also, some jackhole who works for the NYT said "Wireless earbuds raise music's emotional power" which renders me nearly incoherent because WTF, dude? My feelz depend on whether or not my headphones have wires? Maybe my feelz about my headphones, but not the music. Christ, these people need to quit fellating Jobs' rotting corpse. It ain't gonna come back to life.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Sep 2016, 15:01

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Sep 2016, 15:06

So I'm pretty anti-Apple.

But I'm a big confused that this whole headphones thing is bothering people. Like, I haven't bought a portable* non-bluetooth headset on purpose in probably a decade. And Apple's whole thing has _always_ been to get aggressive about throwing out features that won't be used in the future, or features it doesn't think you want/should want. (And sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I don't).

Like, it does mean that people who need compatibility with old tech have to get an adapter. But that was true when they started rolling out computers without floppy drives too.

* I say "portable" because I buy fairly nice, bulky headphones for my desktop setup and those aren't bluetooth. But that's a completely different use case. I'm not gonna go for a run wearing my studio headset.

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Sep 2016, 16:17

tr0g wrote:
dhex wrote:
My statistics education tells me I can round that down to 'none' with no noticeable effects.

Also, some jackhole who works for the NYT said "Wireless earbuds raise music's emotional power" which renders me nearly incoherent because WTF, dude? My feelz depend on whether or not my headphones have wires? Maybe my feelz about my headphones, but not the music. Christ, these people need to quit fellating Jobs' rotting corpse. It ain't gonna come back to life.
Maybe it was a reference headbanging? Or like that arp snare rush and everything's all woo-hoo and your wife's friend took the kids and gave you guys a brownie from her guy (who is a woman ) and despite your best efforts later that evening you'll get a disappointing blow job in your Brooklyn Heights apartment and fail to rekindle the magic of your early relationship sex life... But for that moment you know tiesto is God.

So maybe that's what he meant.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Sep 2016, 17:07

So, relevant to Painboy, Delta announced if you have a Note 7, turn it off for the duration of the flight. Here's what I don't get about the freak out, a few years ago there were more Lion battery fires in laptops and even iPhones a few years ago and there was no similar freak out. It really makes me suspect that someone is pushing a media narrative.