Portable Techno-Capitalism

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Painboy

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Painboy » 05 May 2016, 20:22

JD wrote:Portable techno-capitalism slightly-more-than-petty annoyance: I just discovered today that on my phone, if you hold the volume down button, the ringer volume will go down and then switch to vibrate-only...but if you happen to hit volume down again from there, the phone will go into "completely silent" mode where it doesn't even vibrate.

Of course I only discovered this after people had been trying to reach me all day, which I didn't know because my phone wasn't reacting at all. This is some really shitty UI design. Doing the exact same action can have two different effects depending on the state the phone was already in, and there is no auditory or haptic feedback to tell you this.
All my smartphones I have ever had did the same thing IIRC. I would like a setting to override it though. I've had the same experience when I accidentally lowered my volume to silent too.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 May 2016, 11:15

I switched my phone to a refurbished phone off the same model yesterday. Samsung smart switch worked pretty well. Text messages not only transferred, but even which were unread was preserved. Most apps transferred. Hell, my alarm clock settings all transferred. Voice mails apparently didn't transfer, which is pretty damn annoying, especially since I had the voice mail app set to save voice mails on the micro sd card. That setting doesn't seem to exist in the updated voice mail version, which I also had on the old phone, so I'm not sure what is going on there. Since the techs don't seem to know (and couldn't possibly know all the details for all the versions), it would be nice if these things were written down so appropriate precautions could be taken. I should have gone in earlier to make certain all the details were correct. Maybe I still have the voice mails. It also would have helped if the refurbished phone had already been upgraded to Android Marshmallow, as I asked about the first time I went in to do the transfer, instead of having a Marshmallow to Lollipop transfer. They assured me that the new phone would have the latest everything.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 May 2016, 11:20

I also couldn't get the fucking Chrome browser history to sync.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 May 2016, 14:09

the innominate one wrote:I also couldn't get the fucking Chrome browser history to sync.
Neither the history nor the bookmarks. Fucking great.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 May 2016, 16:32

Sprint has the HTC10 for sale.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 May 2016, 15:43

Someone at the bar broke out an app that uses the camera to scan a tv screen and it will stream audio for whatever show is on in real time. That shit was impressive.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 May 2016, 02:14

JasonL wrote:Someone at the bar broke out an app that uses the camera to scan a tv screen and it will stream audio for whatever show is on in real time. That shit was impressive.
Those guys are going to make themselves some money.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2016, 11:31

JasonL wrote:Someone at the bar broke out an app that uses the camera to scan a tv screen and it will stream audio for whatever show is on in real time. That shit was impressive.
Ooooooooo!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jun 2016, 11:33

I saw someone standing on the patio use the camera to scan a tv at a distance of about 25' through a window that had a semi permeable shade on it, and it grabbed the audio from the NBA western conf finals immediately. First time I've been wowed by an app in a long while.

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Jun 2016, 12:08

My guess is that it grabs the network logo from the screen and combines it with GPS location to figure out the audio stream. This would likely break for things like NFL Sunday Ticket at the bar.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Jun 2016, 14:55

Mo wrote:My guess is that it grabs the network logo from the screen and combines it with GPS location to figure out the audio stream. This would likely break for things like NFL Sunday Ticket at the bar.
Still, though, given those conditions, it's a neat bit of tech.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jul 2016, 12:55

There's...an app for that http://pooperapp.com/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jul 2016, 13:22

Oh god.

How is it cleaner and better for the environment to let it sit there until the hired scooper arrives?

And how long before they say that this isn't about hiring scoopers, but rather it's about sharing the scooping tools, or something? Yeah, it's a sharing economy, not a hired service.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jul 2016, 13:35

As a citydweller it seems like a completely unusable service. Yeah, I'm sure the 10 people standing around watching me walk away from dog shit are going to assume I've outsourced it. And I'm sure the 10 dogs who show up before my scooper won't roll in it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jul 2016, 13:43

nicole wrote:As a citydweller it seems like a completely unusable service. Yeah, I'm sure the 10 people standing around watching me walk away from dog shit are going to assume I've outsourced it. And I'm sure the 10 dogs who show up before my scooper won't roll in it.
Also if the scooper shows up just after I stepped in it, what shoe cleaning services do they offer?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jul 2016, 14:16

But guys! They're disrupting the way you pick up dog shit! It's the shit-sharing economy! It's changing the way that you clean up after dogs because the old way is broken! And they have an app! A freaking app!

Once I find out which school they dropped out of I'm going to totally write them a massive check! (Though I might have to wipe some spooge off the check before giving it to them. Because they're disrupting the way we pick up dog shit!)
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 18 Jul 2016, 14:22

nicole wrote:As a citydweller it seems like a completely unusable service. Yeah, I'm sure the 10 people standing around watching me walk away from dog shit are going to assume I've outsourced it. And I'm sure the 10 dogs who show up before my scooper won't roll in it.
Win win! I get to look like an asshole to the casual observer while feeling good that I'm participating in the sharing economy! This is virtue signaling at its finest!
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jul 2016, 15:06

tr0g wrote:
Win win! I get to look like an asshole to the casual observer while feeling good that I'm participating in the sharing economy! This is virtue signaling at its finest!
Yep.
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Jul 2016, 18:29

nicole wrote:There's...an app for that http://pooperapp.com/
Somebody put a click bait in the wrong thread.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Aug 2016, 18:23

Last day get $100 off Google nexus 6p

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Sep 2016, 15:05

I think in the long run I will be okay with Apple getting rid of the 3.5mm audio jack, just as I became okay with their getting rid of the 3.5" floppy drive and even the CD drive (although I have an auxiliary BD Drive for my Mac). But I wonder if it wouldn't have been half a dozen of the other to keep the audio jack that literally all accessories are equipped for and ditch the lighting connector in favor of inductive charging and wireless syncing.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Sep 2016, 15:13

I have never seen video synch with wireless audio correctly. I will sometimes try to use a bluetooth or airplay speaker for audio while I watch tv on my ipad, and that does not work at all.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 07 Sep 2016, 16:02

Hugh Akston wrote:I think in the long run I will be okay with Apple getting rid of the 3.5mm audio jack, just as I became okay with their getting rid of the 3.5" floppy drive and even the CD drive (although I have an auxiliary BD Drive for my Mac). But I wonder if it wouldn't have been half a dozen of the other to keep the audio jack that literally all accessories are equipped for and ditch the lighting connector in favor of inductive charging and wireless syncing.
Well, if you have a data/power standard, it makes sense to do double duty. What I'd like (and maybe there are power issues with it) would be a USB-C connector so everybody can make headphones/cables/etc.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Sep 2016, 16:09

Sandy wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I think in the long run I will be okay with Apple getting rid of the 3.5mm audio jack, just as I became okay with their getting rid of the 3.5" floppy drive and even the CD drive (although I have an auxiliary BD Drive for my Mac). But I wonder if it wouldn't have been half a dozen of the other to keep the audio jack that literally all accessories are equipped for and ditch the lighting connector in favor of inductive charging and wireless syncing.
Well, if you have a data/power standard, it makes sense to do double duty. What I'd like (and maybe there are power issues with it) would be a USB-C connector so everybody can make headphones/cables/etc.
I doubt there are power issues preventing Apple from adopting USB-C. They just like doing their own deal and raising the bar for off-brand accessories.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Sep 2016, 17:20

JasonL wrote:I have never seen video synch with wireless audio correctly. I will sometimes try to use a bluetooth or airplay speaker for audio while I watch tv on my ipad, and that does not work at all.
How far have you looked into a bluetooth headset? I was looking into getting a higher quality one than the one I have, which was fine for audiobooks but not for much else. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but I did see that there are a number of bluetooth standards that can vary the quality of the sync.

Something like this which claims no lip sync delay: