Portable Techno-Capitalism

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Highway » 09 Apr 2016, 13:48

the innominate one wrote:I'll have to see about that on mine. I've been keeping it plugged in as much as possible because there's something wrong with the USB port and will only charge if the cord's plug is in just the right position, and even then it charges slowly. What model & service provider do you have, Highwayman? I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (standard, not Edge, etc.) and Sprint.
Samsung Galaxy S6 (normal) on Verizon. I used to have Virgin Mobile, which used Sprint's network, and it was terrible around here (everyone around here reports Sprint's network is terrible).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Apr 2016, 14:28

Sprint's network is terrible here on the eastern side of the western bay area. I might switch to Verizon when my contract is up. I really don't want to shell out another $600 for a new phone, though.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 09 Apr 2016, 14:51

the innominate one wrote:I'll have to see about that on mine. I've been keeping it plugged in as much as possible because there's something wrong with the USB port and will only charge if the cord's plug is in just the right position, and even then it charges slowly. What model & service provider do you have, Highwayman? I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (standard, not Edge, etc.) and Sprint.
Charging through a USB port is always going to be slow. There just isn't enough juice that can go through it. I also have the S4 with the same connection issue where if you touch it the wrong way it can briefly disconnect.

Although it's not going to help you now, both those issues should be going away with the new USB Type-C connector. It fits nice and tight and can pull a pretty big charge through so the it recharges much faster and things with USB 3.0 can put more juice through it as well. I've messed around at work with a Nexus 6p and it charges nice and fast.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Apr 2016, 15:41

The current (no pun intended) slowness of charging is relative to past speed of charging and is a new development. I have a micro USB 3.0 connector on the device, and it recently stopped working with a 3.0 plug cord. A 2.0 cord will work, but has to be positioned just so. I called a store about repair and apparently this is a thing. He did say the same thing you did about USB-C being an improvement.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Apr 2016, 16:25

Finally got to the store to get the phone repaired, when I removed the protective case, the back of the phone case was melted in the vicinity of the charging port. Replacement phone has been ordered.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Apr 2016, 22:59

Went to store for replacement phone, was informed that text messages can't be transferred to new phone. First, they should be able to be stored on the card in an ideal world. Was told to delete unnecessary texts, take screen shots of the necessary ones. Started deleting, then was told that there is a new transfer app that does transfer texts. And apps. Browser bookmarks? Don't know. Browser history? Don't know.

Why hasn't all this already been figured out? Why isn't more of the hardware modular so repairs are easier?

A few doors down is a t-mobile store. Stopped in to see what they had for plans and devices to compare. Got some info that contradicted what I'd previously been told at another t-mobile store. Who's right? Also, the saleswoman seemed not to listen to my questions and points. Am I wrong, or is CDMA/GSM a separate issue from whether a phone is locked or unlocked?

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Apr 2016, 23:57

If you are using android and going to android, and use a google sign in, and store your contacts, and log in to chrome, you can sync all of that information including browser history and bookmarks, and it will transfer to your new android phone when you log in with your google credentials.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Apr 2016, 11:45

Including bookmarks and history in Firefox, Opera and Puffin browsers?

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Apr 2016, 12:00

Probably not, but maybe you can switch the default browser on your old phone to Chrome, have it grab all the bookmarks and history from the other browsers, and then continue to the new phone. There may be other syncing apps you can use between the two phones, depending on what kind of phones they are.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Apr 2016, 12:31

Many thanks. I'm going Galaxy S5 to a refurbished Galaxy S5. For 3 more months, then I'm getting something else Android. Possibly the LG G5 or a Nexus.

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Apr 2016, 12:37

the innominate one wrote:Many thanks. I'm going Galaxy S5 to a refurbished Galaxy S5. For 3 more months, then I'm getting something else Android. Possibly the LG G5 or a Nexus.
You can possibly try the Samsung Smart Switch app as well.

http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Apr 2016, 13:30

Thanks, that's the one the staff said they'd be using. I forgot to be explicit.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 30 Apr 2016, 15:03

the innominate one wrote:Thanks, that's the one the staff said they'd be using. I forgot to be explicit.
As far as I can tell the Samsung backup thing synced everything except text message history. I got an app called sms backup + which syncs texts, worked pretty well.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Apr 2016, 15:30

Thanks. The staff claimed that texts would transfer with the Samsung app. Good to know incompetence is universal.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 May 2016, 11:25

Soo, the workplace is forcing us to move to a Use Your Own Device model. Which, okay so I don't have to experience a blackberry ever again, but OTOH - the wall separating personal device from work device is just gone now. We install an enterprise security device segmentation app and run everything work related through that. They are all literally laughing at me that it creeps me out. I'm letting work, regulators everyone inside my encryption. They can monitor whatever the heck they want from location services to whatever else. My device can be subpoenaed if a client is sued or if there is securities enforcement who just decides I need to turn it over for some reason. Freaks. Me. Out.

JD

Post by JD » 05 May 2016, 11:27

Would it make sense to get a cheap phone that you use only for work stuff? It kind of sucks that you have to do that, but in some ways it works out for you - you get to choose your own kind of device, and you don't have to let them into your personal stuff.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 05 May 2016, 12:14

Sandy wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Warren wrote:Why don't we just go back to clay tablets and roman numerals while we're at it?
+I
That's why I just assume that if anyone *really* wants my stuff, they'll get it, and only do enough to discourage thieves of opportunity, much like with my car and house.

I can't keep the NSA out, nor can I stop a determined Russian hacking collective.
That's where I'm at, combined with the knowledge that if I do get burgled, there's not a whole lot they can actually take. And the real serious hacker thieves deal in batches of thousands of credit card numbers, not single accounts. I'm convinced that 90%-ish of online security awareness shit is just the McAfees of the world trying to sell you security products that you don't really need...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 May 2016, 12:18

JD wrote:Would it make sense to get a cheap phone that you use only for work stuff? It kind of sucks that you have to do that, but in some ways it works out for you - you get to choose your own kind of device, and you don't have to let them into your personal stuff.
Yeah, this seems like a good solution. The wall between work and personal is a significant thing, even if you're not working in an industry that is constantly being probed from multiple angles by government digits.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 May 2016, 12:27

Hmm. Might do that. I guess for Apple purposes I'd set up an entirely separate apple ID?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 May 2016, 12:34

Definitely. I would also segregate as deep as possible. No connections between Work Jason and Life Jason in terms of email addresses or phone numbers for the purpose of recovery, etc. But then I'm kinda paranoid.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 May 2016, 12:44

I don't think a separate Apple ID is completely necessary.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 May 2016, 13:07

Yeah, I would go with completely separate work phone as well.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 05 May 2016, 13:30

Worlds are colliding! /GeorgeCostanza

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 May 2016, 13:38

Mo wrote:I don't think a separate Apple ID is completely necessary.
I think it will start syncing everything if I use same Apple ID, at least if I use it for cloud.

JD

Post by JD » 05 May 2016, 16:54

Portable techno-capitalism slightly-more-than-petty annoyance: I just discovered today that on my phone, if you hold the volume down button, the ringer volume will go down and then switch to vibrate-only...but if you happen to hit volume down again from there, the phone will go into "completely silent" mode where it doesn't even vibrate.

Of course I only discovered this after people had been trying to reach me all day, which I didn't know because my phone wasn't reacting at all. This is some really shitty UI design. Doing the exact same action can have two different effects depending on the state the phone was already in, and there is no auditory or haptic feedback to tell you this.