Portable Techno-Capitalism

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
GinSlinger

Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by GinSlinger » 13 Aug 2010, 21:01

As per JD's demand, the resurrection of a lost thread.

A thread for .mp3 players, Kindle/Nook/other e-readers, and smart phones, plus any new forms of pocket tech that come down the pike too fast for us old folks to keep track of.

JD

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by JD » 19 Aug 2010, 11:39

Somewhat to my surprise, I discovered yesterday afternoon that I am already eligible for my new-every-2 upgrade...now I have to decide whether I want to wait for anything, like another paycheck, before I go get my sweaty hands on a Droid 2.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Aug 2010, 11:52

The 2.2 Android update is kinda neat (and fixes some interface annoyances), though I'm annoyed that the Voice Actions for playing music don't work with the software that actually plays music on your phone, but instead require you to use some social music service.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Aug 2010, 12:10

got a storm 2 the other day. it's marginally improved a bunch of stuff. typing is basically good at this point. i just cannot use a blackberry keyboard. i tried. too fucking small.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

JD

Post by JD » 24 Aug 2010, 15:23

One of my friends showed me her Droid 2 the other day. She was actually not that crazy about it. She demonstrated making a phone call for me: bring up the phone, hit 'address book', wait for the address list to come up...wait...wait...wait...holy crap, seriously? I'll still get one, but I'm hoping like hell it isn't always like that.

In other portable-techno-capitalism news, I'm syncing my Palm Centro again for the first time in quite a while, so I have my address book and everything backed up. I'd forgotten quite how much Palm Desktop and hotsync could suck.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Aug 2010, 16:07

dhex wrote:got a storm 2 the other day. it's marginally improved a bunch of stuff. typing is basically good at this point. i just cannot use a blackberry keyboard. i tried. too fucking small.
Did you rotate it 90 degrees? I have the original Storm, and if you rotate it 90 degrees the keyboard rotates and becomes bigger than the traditional Blackberry keyboard. I assume that the Storm 2 works the same way.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

dhex

Post by dhex » 24 Aug 2010, 16:09

oh yeah, horz is the only way i can type on it. and it's pretty fast now, since you can hit two keys at once. the traditional vertical keyboards of the blackberry are just impossible, though.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Aug 2010, 16:11

I'm getting the feeling that "usable as a phone" is somewhere near "freshens breath" on the feature hierarchy of most portable techno capitalism.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Aug 2010, 16:15

JasonL wrote:I'm getting the feeling that "usable as a phone" is somewhere near "freshens breath" on the feature hierarchy of most portable techno capitalism.
Strangely enough, my Blackberry Storm can handle a day of email and web surfing and word processing no problem, but the minute I try to make a call it starts sucking battery like crazy.

So, yeah, the whole "talking to other people by voice rather than text" thing is pretty much a minor triviality on today's "phones".
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 24 Aug 2010, 16:23

I just got an LG Ally, which is the lower end Droid generation. I like it so far, but since I rarely talk on the phone, I haven't really gotten to test out its capabilities as an actual device used for talking to people.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Aug 2010, 16:34

JasonL wrote:I'm getting the feeling that "usable as a phone" is somewhere near "freshens breath" on the feature hierarchy of most portable techno capitalism.
Well, I'll refer you to the conversation in "Get off my lawn": why would you want to use it as a phone? I make probably one phone call every day or two (If you ignore annoying telemarketers calling me and waking me up in the middle of the night, which I'd really like to), but I text and email and browse the web all the time.

Or see Rachel's comment.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Aug 2010, 17:15

You are failing at communication if you try to communicate exclusively through text and email. This is not a generational thing. I don't particularly like phones, either, but there is value in just talking to the wife while she's in a hotel somewhere on business travel. There's value in verbally hashing out an argument you've been having with your buddy in another town. There's value in talking to clients directly where there is any possibility whatsoever of a, you know, "discussion" being required.

The heavy lifting is done in conversation, the summary is done in email, brief status in email or text or IM. But the heavy lifting is an actual conversation. The fact that voice gets so little tech these days is something of a sore point with me, because if we had good tech for speech with good clear reception and really nice intuitive hands free stuff, home offices could be much better arrangements than they are presently. If I have to rely on my blackberry as a phone, I'd rather come into the office, thanks.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 24 Aug 2010, 17:33

JasonL wrote:You are failing at communication if you try to communicate exclusively through text and email. This is not a generational thing. I don't particularly like phones, either, but there is value in just talking to the wife while she's in a hotel somewhere on business travel. There's value in verbally hashing out an argument you've been having with your buddy in another town. There's value in talking to clients directly where there is any possibility whatsoever of a, you know, "discussion" being required.

The heavy lifting is done in conversation, the summary is done in email, brief status in email or text or IM. But the heavy lifting is an actual conversation. The fact that voice gets so little tech these days is something of a sore point with me, because if we had good tech for speech with good clear reception and really nice intuitive hands free stuff, home offices could be much better arrangements than they are presently. If I have to rely on my blackberry as a phone, I'd rather come into the office, thanks.
I'm not disagreeing with you, actually. Phone calls I actually make probably average like twenty minutes. Because I only use the phone when I want to have an actual goddamn conversation. (At which point, yes, the crappy voice reception is annoying sometimes, though it's usually good enough for my purposes).

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Aug 2010, 17:45

Not just the reception, but the terrible ergonomics, mic design, etc. We are in literally no better place now wrt voice than we were with the horrid blackberry 1.0 "Eggo".

dhex

Post by dhex » 24 Aug 2010, 22:29

i like the call quality on the storm, actually. not that it matters much as all of my friends have iphones so every conversation sounds like the last words of a dying man stuck inside an empty pool stored in a huge warehouse. but when vendors call it's pretty hawt.

JD

Post by JD » 30 Aug 2010, 15:13

I have a Droid 2! Seems pretty cool so far. The default ringtone is, as I'd read, hilariously bad. Ars Technica pretty much nailed it in their review:
It sounds like a DJ remixing a recording of R2-D2 being eaten by a Bantha. My father, who picked up a Droid 2 the day after launch, mistakenly thought that the phone's speaker was broken the first time he heard the ringtone, because it was inconceivable to him that a properly-functioning device would emit such a horrifying cacophony.
The first time I heard it, the hair went up on the back of my neck...then I started laughing. I think I'm going to leave it to use as a practical joke - I'll say, "Hey, call my phone" and watch as people jump and boggle when the phone rings.

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Aug 2010, 15:25

that's a bit odd, though i'd pick techno crunch over 8 bit latin salsa a la every other phone. (i make my own ringtones, so it's pretty moot)

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Aug 2010, 16:22

Is it a different ringtone than the big buildup to the synthesized voice saying "DROOOOOOOID!"?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 02 Sep 2010, 12:01

Not quite sure which one you're thinking of, but I believe it is different - this one is a raucous descending beeping and shrieking.

Still liking the Droid a lot, although the default calendar app is lame and it's a nuisance that the default email client cannot do multiple identities in a single account.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Sep 2010, 14:38

Bluetooth.

I know nothing about it except it's a sort of short distance wireless connection protocol. Is it worthwhile to Bluetooth my computer so it can "talk" to my RAZR phone without plugging latter in with a USB cable or is that just geekery?

More to the point, and this is more for a gift for my wife who does a great deal of driving and telephone talking, unfortunately at the same time, what's a good Bluetooth ear thingamajiggie? (Note: her car is noisy.)

Oh, and speaking of my (I know, ancient) RAZR, any recommendations on phone / computer software? Since it's a MOTO phone, I've got the Motorola software but it frankly sucks when it comes to editing phone entries on the phone from the computer.

Thanks in advance.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Sep 2010, 14:44

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Bluetooth.

I know nothing about it except it's a sort of short distance wireless connection protocol. Is it worthwhile to Bluetooth my computer so it can "talk" to my RAZR phone without plugging latter in with a USB cable or is that just geekery?

More to the point, and this is more for a gift for my wife who does a great deal of driving and telephone talking, unfortunately at the same time, what's a good Bluetooth ear thingamajiggie? (Note: her car is noisy.)

Oh, and speaking of my (I know, ancient) RAZR, any recommendations on phone / computer software? Since it's a MOTO phone, I've got the Motorola software but it frankly sucks when it comes to editing phone entries on the phone from the computer.

Thanks in advance.
Can't help you on the software issue, but I have the Plantronics Voyager Pro earphone, and I highly recommend it. It is a little larger than some other Bluetooth devices on the market, but I have never had an issue with connection or clarity. The fact that it makes you look like a space captain is a bonus.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 14 Sep 2010, 14:47

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Bluetooth.

Eh, probably not particularly worth it unless you have a lot of devices, or you just have an allergy to cables. It means you don't have to be bothered finding and plugging in the cable, and you're not physically tethered, but that may not make a big difference to you.

In other techno-capitalism news, it's amazing how a company can make the same software for two different phones and make the UI suck on one and not the other. (Magmic's Texas Hold 'Em Poker King - the UI is good on the Blackberry and pretty crap on the Droid, despite, and probably because, the Blackberry has a smaller screen, slower processor, and no touchscreen. On the Droid, there are a ton of extraneous animations, and the touchscreen controls are small and fiddly.)

Playing labyrinth games (like the kind with a wooden maze and a steel ball) on the Droid is stupidly fun, though, especially when they use the haptic feedback to make you actually feel the ball bumping into the maze.

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 Sep 2010, 11:24

Neat stuff in the WSJ

Paper-Thin Screens With a Twist

A Different Kind of Eyeglasses

I wants me some of them fancy eyeglasses.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 27 Sep 2010, 12:54

My girlfriend just got the Samsung Vibrant. It's pretty cool, very iPhone-esque in its hardware design. Incredibly light, too. Looks like a pretty good choice for those who are on T-Mobile and want an Android phone.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 18 Oct 2010, 01:06

A guy, his son, an HD camera, and an iPhone to find them:

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren