Portable Techno-Capitalism

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Highway » 10 Jul 2019, 13:47

I just use a soft gel-type case on the back of my Pixel 3. I was mostly just going for something that added a little bit of thickness and grippiness to it, rather than the super slippery glass/metal/plastic. And maybe just a skosh of impact protection.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Nov 2019, 17:30

I probably need to get a new phone in the next 6 months. My Pixel is getting terrible about holding a charge. A little internet browsing will knock 10-20% off the battery.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Nov 2019, 17:33

Andrew wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 17:30
I probably need to get a new phone in the next 6 months. My Pixel is getting terrible about holding a charge. A little internet browsing will knock 10-20% off the battery.
Cow-orker recently got the Pixel 4 and loves it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Nov 2019, 06:32

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 17:33
Andrew wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 17:30
Cow-orker recently got the Pixel 4 and loves it.
Those are strong feelings about a phone. I think I want something I can grudgingly tolerate and have vague resentments towards.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Nov 2019, 07:34

So... Anything by Motorola...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Nov 2019, 12:30

More due to some cross-platform integration than specific brand loyalty, but I just replaced my iPhone 7 with an 11 Pro Max. I can expense it, and I needed a big clear screen to help overcome my reading-glasses-neediness. The rest is fine, but face-ID is actually pretty nice and works pretty seamlessly/intuitively, although I need to figure out how to force it to lock-with-passcode for purposes of get-a-warrant, just on general principles.

But with an OLED screen giving great contrast, and a nice big screen, I often don't need reading glasses for stuff I did need on the 7, and my Galaxy S4 before that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Nov 2019, 12:36

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 12:30
More due to some cross-platform integration than specific brand loyalty, but I just replaced my iPhone 7 with an 11 Pro Max. I can expense it, and I needed a big clear screen to help overcome my reading-glasses-neediness. The rest is fine, but face-ID is actually pretty nice and works pretty seamlessly/intuitively, although I need to figure out how to force it to lock-with-passcode for purposes of get-a-warrant, just on general principles.

But with an OLED screen giving great contrast, and a nice big screen, I often don't need reading glasses for stuff I did need on the 7, and my Galaxy S4 before that.
1) On iPhone X and later, or iPad with Face ID, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
2) Tap Turn Passcode On.
I'm glad I looked this up, because I'm going to be in the market for a new phone before long, and facial recognition can recognize my dick.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Nov 2019, 12:51

Hugh Akston wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 12:36
lunchstealer wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 12:30

1) On iPhone X and later, or iPad with Face ID, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
2) Tap Turn Passcode On.
I'm glad I looked this up, because I'm going to be in the market for a new phone before long, and facial recognition can recognize my dick.
Sorry, should clarify. I'm not that scared of using the face ID for day-to-day stuff, but I want to know how to very quickly turn it off temporarily. with the thumbprint unlock on the 7, you could hit the lock button five times in a row and it would immediately lock the phone to require a passcode, so no one can grab your thumb and unlock your phone without your permission.

And I've found it. Side-button-and-a-volume-button for two seconds locks out face id until you enter the passcode again.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Nov 2019, 12:54

The other thing I'm relieved about is getting back to a fresh battery. My 7 was over three years old and it could usually keep a charge for a day, but not always, and for the last couple of months you could be in the single-digits after a day of moderate use. A long conference call on speaker (I usually need my hands for other stuff during a work call) means it needs a charge before the end of the day.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Nov 2019, 13:02

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 12:51
...so no one can grab your thumb and unlock your phone without your permission.
I mean... How big is the gap between "grab your thumb" and "I won't tell you my passcode"?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Nov 2019, 13:05

Warren wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 13:02
lunchstealer wrote:
I mean... How big is the gap between "grab your thumb" and "I won't tell you my passcode"?
Federal courts have been pretty consistent in ruling that you have the right to withhold your passcode from cops, but not your fingerprint.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Nov 2019, 13:12

Warren wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 13:02
lunchstealer wrote:
Well if cops have you handcuffed because you snorted at the wrong time, the difference between pressing the phone against your thumb and forcing you to tell the passcode is pretty big. And under current interpretation of the constitution, you can be compelled to put your thumb on a scanner, but cannot be compelled to communicate your passcode.

ETA: Also what Hugh said.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Nov 2019, 13:26

good to know
THIS SPACE FOR RENT