Portable Techno-Capitalism

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14475
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Sep 2016, 01:55

Mo wrote:So, relevant to Painboy, Delta announced if you have a Note 7, turn it off for the duration of the flight. Here's what I don't get about the freak out, a few years ago there were more Lion battery fires in laptops and even iPhones a few years ago and there was no similar freak out. It really makes me suspect that someone is pushing a media narrative.
I didn't hear about it until the Apple fanbois were sad that some people thought their revolutionary new feature was a bug.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL


User avatar
Mo
Posts: 20770
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Mo » 19 Sep 2016, 21:27

Digital is so much better, who needs 100 year old technology.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5486
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Andrew » 04 Oct 2016, 20:02

I'm eligible through Verizon to get $300 off the new Google Pixel phone if I trade in my old one. If I do that, I'll get a box to return the old one in 5 days. Pixel phones don't start shipping until the 20th. There is a hole in this plan...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17001
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Oct 2016, 20:59

Andrew wrote:I'm eligible through Verizon to get $300 off the new Google Pixel phone if I trade in my old one. If I do that, I'll get a box to return the old one in 5 days. Pixel phones don't start shipping until the 20th. There is a hole in this plan...
Do you have to ship it back immediately, or can you sit on the box for a few weeks?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 9761
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Ellie » 30 Nov 2016, 11:53

I find it very distracting that the new Google phone is called Pixel. Verizon commercials keep encouraging, "Buy a Pixel!" and I want to say, "That's a terrible idea!"

Image
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5486
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Andrew » 13 Jan 2017, 11:46

I bought a Pixel a few weeks ago. I ordered one from Verizon without ever handling it in a store, which was a mistake. I assumed it was bigger (heyo!), and it's actually the same functional size as my Samsung S4. The XL might have been the way to go.

It's fast. No surprise there. Encrypting the S4 made it run like shit. This came encrypted and is still super fast.

I've already gotten 1 Android update.

The front-facing camera is weird. There's a vast gulf between what the screen is showing and how the picture actually comes out. No idea what that's about. The rear-facing one seems to be fine.

The functional screen space is slightly less than the S4 because of the row of virtual buttons (back, home, active apps) along the bottom of the screen.

There are roughly 47 different places to set notification settings. It has taken me a long time to get them even close to how I liked them on the S4.

Apparently, the Pixel comes with free Drive storage for all its full-size pics. Kind of a cool bonus.

Before I set up the backup for photos, some pics I had taken on the phone vanished. Just completely gone. I see others online have had this issue, and Google's response seems to have been, "well, turn on the free backup to Drive." That works, but it's more than a little concerning that pics vanish. Especially if I carry it on a hike and it's a while between WiFi connections to back shit up.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9551
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by JD » 28 Feb 2017, 13:37

I'm looking at new phones, and I have come to the conclusion that whoever is managing naming and branding at Motorola seriously needs to be canned. Right now Verizon is selling the Moto Z Droid, the Moto Z Force Droid, the Moto Z Play Droid, and the DROID Turbo 2. (I have no idea if the different capitalization matters, but it's what's on Verizon's website.) Meanwhile, phonearena.com lists the Moto Z Play, Moto Z Play Droid, Moto Z Force, Moto Z Force Droid Edition, Moto Z, Moto Z Droid Edition, Moto G5, Moto G5 Plus, Moto M, Moto E3, and Moto E3 Power.

I've had Motorola phones before and liked them, but it's pretty much getting to the point where I don't even bother considering them, because it's impossible to sort through their eight bazillion models and their slightly different names.

Anyway, I've had an LG G3 for a while and liked it, but it's starting to flake out. I'm considering the G5, but it gets mediocre reviews. Leading contenders are:
-Google Pixel
-Google Pixel XL
-wait for the G6 in a month or so.

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3095
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Painboy » 28 Feb 2017, 15:53

JD wrote:I'm looking at new phones, and I have come to the conclusion that whoever is managing naming and branding at Motorola seriously needs to be canned. Right now Verizon is selling the Moto Z Droid, the Moto Z Force Droid, the Moto Z Play Droid, and the DROID Turbo 2. (I have no idea if the different capitalization matters, but it's what's on Verizon's website.) Meanwhile, phonearena.com lists the Moto Z Play, Moto Z Play Droid, Moto Z Force, Moto Z Force Droid Edition, Moto Z, Moto Z Droid Edition, Moto G5, Moto G5 Plus, Moto M, Moto E3, and Moto E3 Power.

I've had Motorola phones before and liked them, but it's pretty much getting to the point where I don't even bother considering them, because it's impossible to sort through their eight bazillion models and their slightly different names.

Anyway, I've had an LG G3 for a while and liked it, but it's starting to flake out. I'm considering the G5, but it gets mediocre reviews. Leading contenders are:
-Google Pixel
-Google Pixel XL
-wait for the G6 in a month or so.
No Samsung love? I had the Note 7 which was fantastic. I had to give it up of course and settled on the S7 Edge. I'm very happy with it even if it's not the Note 7.

You may not care as you already have one but every LG I've looked at has had their screens set so that are all over-saturated. The colors are blown out so much it looks odd. But maybe that's just me.

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9551
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by JD » 28 Feb 2017, 16:24

Painboy wrote:No Samsung love?
I like my pants not on fire. Slightly more seriously, I'm sure they're OK, but I have no experience with them. I've gotten used to my LG, and I used to really like my old Droid Razr Maxx (or WTFever they were calling that model), and my wife has a Pixel XL, so I have some experience with that one.
You may not care as you already have one but every LG I've looked at has had their screens set so that are all over-saturated. The colors are blown out so much it looks odd. But maybe that's just me.
Really? I can't say I ever noticed much, but most of the information I can find says that people tend to consider the G3's screen under-saturated. They might have changed it after the G3, though.

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3095
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Painboy » 28 Feb 2017, 16:38

JD wrote:
Painboy wrote:No Samsung love?
I like my pants not on fire. Slightly more seriously, I'm sure they're OK, but I have no experience with them. I've gotten used to my LG, and I used to really like my old Droid Razr Maxx (or WTFever they were calling that model), and my wife has a Pixel XL, so I have some experience with that one.
You may not care as you already have one but every LG I've looked at has had their screens set so that are all over-saturated. The colors are blown out so much it looks odd. But maybe that's just me.
Really? I can't say I ever noticed much, but most of the information I can find says that people tend to consider the G3's screen under-saturated. They might have changed it after the G3, though.
To be fair my job requires me to test on a lot of different models of phones so I have lots of side by side comparisons. All the LGs I've used have weird color issues to the point that even if there were no labels I could easily identify which ones were LGs.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 20770
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Mo » 15 Mar 2017, 14:55

I finally saw the Apple wireless headphones in the wild. They look like the wearer forgot to take Q-Tips out of their ears.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 12994
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Aresen » 15 Mar 2017, 16:03

Mo wrote:I finally saw the Apple wireless headphones in the wild. They look like the wearer forgot to take Q-Tips out of their ears.
They are multi-functional.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9551
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by JD » 16 Mar 2017, 14:11

I did a factory reset and restore on my G3, and it seems to have fixed things, so hooray for that. The G6 is coming out in a month or so, but I'll probably wait a good while longer. $26/mo for two years irks me a bit. I'd rather drink an extra $26 of beer every month.

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5486
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Andrew » 27 Sep 2017, 08:28

My Pixel updated to Oreo, which seems to have been mostly okay. However, one of the smaller subsequent updates introduced a shit load of glitchy behavior. My phone went from fairly awesome (for a pocket supercomputer/Stasi tracking device) to something HTC would be embarrassed to have their name on. Not cool, Google.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11149
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by the innominate one » 27 Sep 2017, 08:45

I think Google is taking over htc, so there's that.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14409
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by dhex » 27 Sep 2017, 08:51

Andrew wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 08:28
My Pixel updated to Oreo, which seems to have been mostly okay. However, one of the smaller subsequent updates introduced a shit load of glitchy behavior. My phone went from fairly awesome (for a pocket supercomputer/Stasi tracking device) to something HTC would be embarrassed to have their name on. Not cool, Google.
I've seen vast improvement since last security update esp with battery on pixel xl. Some people have reportedly found either updating to Google store beta or full factory reset fixes other glitches.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5486
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Andrew » 04 Oct 2017, 18:27

Maybe wrecking the Pixel was intentional. I just got an email from Google introducing the Pixel 2 and trying to get me to trade in my Pixel and pay $300 to upgrade.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 10802
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Oct 2017, 22:18

Mine's fine.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11149
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 11:46

My tablet allows color inversion, which results in fun images in electronic comics but unfortunately the inverted colors don't show up in screen captures, so to prove this assertion, I had to take a picture of my tablet screen with my phone.
20171009_083913.jpg
20171009_083913.jpg (3.99 MiB) Viewed 63 times
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 11149
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 11:51

The dialogue from hip 60s comics characters is hilariously stupid, as well.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 9761
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Portable Techno-Capitalism

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2017, 12:06

That does look cool!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests