covfefe makers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
tr0g

covfefe makers

Post by tr0g » 29 Aug 2017, 23:21

So, as I figured out due to having no power due to the hurricane this morning, I have no way to make coffee that does not depend on electricity. So I'm shopping manual coffee makers. So far top contenders seem to be the Bodum and the Aeropress. I'm open to suggestions from any of the rest of the caffeine junkies.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

nicole

Re: covfefe makers

Post by nicole » 29 Aug 2017, 23:25

We're big pour over fans. So easy I even make coffee when I'm alone.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Aug 2017, 23:33

My electric coffeemaker is a small-sized but otherwise ordinary Mr. Coffee -- heats up water in the water compartment, then pipes it up and drips it into the compartment holding a paper coffee filter filled with ground coffee, then the hot water filters through that, and emerges as coffee in the carafe below.

But I wonder -- given that the link mentioned a coffeemaker where you simply pour water over the coffee, and assuming your electric coffeemaker is something similar to mine-- would it be possible to make a non-electric cold-drip coffee with such a machine, by measuring and pouring out the water yourself?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 29 Aug 2017, 23:33

Do you have a way of boiling water without electricity?
traditional-costa-rican-coffee-maker.jpg
traditional-costa-rican-coffee-maker.jpg (131.61 KiB) Viewed 481 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Aug 2017, 00:09

team french press but i'd just brew at room temperature for 30 hours.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Aug 2017, 08:36

Pour over.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 30 Aug 2017, 11:50

Jennifer wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 23:33
My electric coffeemaker is a small-sized but otherwise ordinary Mr. Coffee -- heats up water in the water compartment, then pipes it up and drips it into the compartment holding a paper coffee filter filled with ground coffee, then the hot water filters through that, and emerges as coffee in the carafe below.

But I wonder -- given that the link mentioned a coffeemaker where you simply pour water over the coffee, and assuming your electric coffeemaker is something similar to mine-- would it be possible to make a non-electric cold-drip coffee with such a machine, by measuring and pouring out the water yourself?
My electric coffee maker is a Keurig, so not really possible. I used to have a small electric Cusianart similar to what you describe as my emergency backup coffee maker but it died or it's in storage. Can't remember which.

As far as water boiling, it's a tea kettle on a propane or butane burner.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Aug 2017, 12:29

It's still possible to cut open a keurig cup and pour hot water over the coffee inside. I don't know if there is some filter inside, but you could use it or don't, however you wanted.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 30 Aug 2017, 20:42

Highway wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 12:29
It's still possible to cut open a keurig cup and pour hot water over the coffee inside. I don't know if there is some filter inside, but you could use it or don't, however you wanted.
There's no good way to hold the pod in the machine and pour water through it because of how Keurigs load. Several companies make a manual Keurig brewer, but it seems insanely large for what it does and useful for nothing else.

Also, I've been researching and holy hell coffee goes down a rabbit hole of insufferable wankery real fast.

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Aug 2017, 21:00

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 30 Aug 2017, 21:02

I'm french press all the way but I also like the "body" that minute particles of coffee flour give the cupa.
YMMV.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie