Solar Eclipse/End of the World 2017

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Solar Eclipse/End of the World 2017

Post by Jennifer » 19 Aug 2017, 16:09

fyodor wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 14:04
Jennifer wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 22:25
fyodor wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 20:38
the innominate one wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 12:56
Well, clearly you've read the specific arguments carefully.
Yeah, I'm pretty lazy, but now I've read most of the thread.

Damn, I guess I was stupid and got glasses from Amazon. They're ostensibly one of the brands specifically recommended by NASA. Seems easy to make up a counterfeit Amazon site, but they've got professional printing giving the correct brand? I suppose maybe that's pretty easy nowadays....
Try putting them on in your house, at night, with the lights on. Look directly at your lamp. If you can see anything through those glasses,they are NOT suitable for looking at an eclipse.

My glasses -- which came directly from NASA, at a booth they had at a long-ago astronomy convention -- are only good for looking at the sun; try looking at anything else, and they apparently are made of opaque black plastic.
I can barely see my chandeliers....
What do you mean -- you can barely make out the little glowing filaments in the bulbs, but nothing else; or you can see some aspect of the non-illuminated parts? If the latter, those glasses are NOT safe to use.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Aug 2017, 16:17

Jennifer wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 16:09
fyodor wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
fyodor wrote:

Damn, I guess I was stupid and got glasses from Amazon. They're ostensibly one of the brands specifically recommended by NASA. Seems easy to make up a counterfeit Amazon site, but they've got professional printing giving the correct brand? I suppose maybe that's pretty easy nowadays....
Try putting them on in your house, at night, with the lights on. Look directly at your lamp. If you can see anything through those glasses,they are NOT suitable for looking at an eclipse.

My glasses -- which came directly from NASA, at a booth they had at a long-ago astronomy convention -- are only good for looking at the sun; try looking at anything else, and they apparently are made of opaque black plastic.
What do you mean -- you can barely make out the little glowing filaments in the bulbs, but nothing else; or you can see some aspect of the non-illuminated parts? If the latter, those glasses are NOT safe to use.
Forgot to add: if the former is true -- you can see the filaments but nothing else -- that should be for a bare, naked bulb, NOT looking at the bulb through a shade. I just checked with my glasses, looking at the eye-wateringly bright bulbs of the chandelier in my dining area -- I can see nothing but the twisted filaments, glowing a very dull, dim shade of orange. But looking at the bulbs through the frosted-glass shades ... nothing.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Aug 2017, 17:25

Also, here's a story for Warren:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... uries.html
A Brief History of Eclipse Glasses and the People Who Forgot to Wear Them

...Usually, the pain of staring at the sun is enough to turn our gaze before we inflict permanent damage on our eyes. And this is why eclipses are uniquely dangerous—when the sun is partially covered, our natural response to look away is dulled, though the risk of injury is not. The eclipse glasses you have been hearing about fix this problem by blocking out almost all violet light, and all ultraviolent light, protecting our eyes from the danger of the sun while allowing us to stare sunward, enjoying the beauty of the eclipse.

Of course, we haven’t always known the ins and outs of solar retinopathy. While there aren’t well-documented stories of large groups of people sustaining eye damage, one imagines that sort of thing must have happened centuries ago when both knowledge and literacy were in short supply. And even more recently, there is no shortage of people who have suffered injuries because of eclipses.

During the 1976 eclipse, for example, a total of 58 people in Turkey were taken to the doctor and treated for eclipse-related eye damage. While their vision mostly recovered, some patients sustained damage that would stay with them for up to 15 years....

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 19 Aug 2017, 20:17

Jennifer wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 16:17
Jennifer wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 16:09
fyodor wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
fyodor wrote:

Forgot to add: if the former is true -- you can see the filaments but nothing else -- that should be for a bare, naked bulb, NOT looking at the bulb through a shade. I just checked with my glasses, looking at the eye-wateringly bright bulbs of the chandelier in my dining area -- I can see nothing but the twisted filaments, glowing a very dull, dim shade of orange. But looking at the bulbs through the frosted-glass shades ... nothing.
Heh, well.... Just looking straight at the chandelier bulbs themselves, I can see the big filament glowing a dim shade of orange from several feet away and the smaller filament too from just a couple of feet away. I'm not sure if I see anything else of the bulb enclosure or not! I think maybe I can sense the shapes of the bulb, but I don't really see them outright for sure, maybe it's just me knowing what the shapes are! It's abstract at best!

I turned on a desk lamp in a darkish room and stared at the 40 watt bulb straight on from a few inches a way and couldn't make out anything, though if I put my hand in between the bulb and my eyes/glasses, I can tell a small but distinct difference....
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Jake

Post by Jake » 20 Aug 2017, 01:33

Aresen has safely arrived in Fruitbatopia. Dinner was had, pie was eaten, the ritual head-shaking at H&R trolls of the past was accomplished. Tomorrow, we shall accomplish nothing of consequence, but in a glorious cross-cultural sort of way. (He measures distances in kilometres! Imagine!) :D
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Aug 2017, 16:14

Yay! Grylliaders together makes me happy!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 20 Aug 2017, 16:29

I thought that was only if büttsecks was involved.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 20 Aug 2017, 16:31

20 Aug 2017, 16:29
I'm sure mental images count.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Aug 2017, 02:53

Whew. You guys had me worried with your whole only-see-the-filament thing. I tested mine vs a 75W ceiling flood from a few feet away and could see the filament and the outline of the bulb.

Fortunately I looked up the Amazon vendor and checked vs the AAS approved-vendor list (I'd already checked the brand vs the approved manufacturer list, but didn't consider that someone might successfully counterfeit the brand and ISO markings, too) and they're all on the approved-vendor list. And while I could make out the outline of the bulb, it and the filament were very very dull red in a sea of otherwise-dark and I didn't notice any of the other lights, so I'm good, but way to give me a scare.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Aug 2017, 02:53

20 Aug 2017, 16:29
Do you know it's not?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Aug 2017, 07:30

The tiny town of Cleveland, Tennessee, is bursting at the seams from eclipse tourists. Jeff and I checked in to our hotel last night a bit before ten, and cars in the parking lot had license plates from as far away as Michigan. There's not a vacant room to be had anywhere around here. We tried eating at a local diner last night, but every spot in the parking lot was taken (mostly from cars with out-of-state plates) and the line stretched out the door.

The night-shift desk clerk at our hotel confirmed: this hotel NEVER runs out of rooms, and that diner NEVER runs out of seats or parking spots. Unless, of course, Cleveland is in the totality zone for an eclipse.

Totality is supposed to last one minute 45 seconds her,e but after we check out Jeff wants to go to a park in a city about ten miles norht, where totality will last an additional 45 seconds.

I am kicking myself for not having thought to bring our folding camp chairs. But at least I have the glasses! They're what's REALLY important. Also, despite today's expected 90+-degree temperatures, I'm wearing jeans so if I have to, I can sit on the hood or trunk of Jeff's black car without getting third-degree burns on my legs.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Aug 2017, 08:37

Well it is overcast and we have a chance of thunderstorms right at peak eclipse

Oh and L-dub's mom is coming over to watch it with us because why not ruin everything by adding more people
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Aug 2017, 13:33

RON PAUL it's happening gif.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jake

Post by Jake » 21 Aug 2017, 13:50

Here in Cottage Grove, just south of the totality zone, almost all of the sun was covered by the moon.

It looked like a standard day in Oregon; it was effectively an "overcast simulator."

Aresen left early this morning to go to the actual zone of totality; we'll see what he has to say when he gets back. (Traffic cameras suggest it's going to take him a while to get here, as everyone who's ever lived starts trying to leave the zone at the same time.)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Aug 2017, 13:53

Five pages and no one has posted this yet? You people sicken me.

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Aug 2017, 14:07

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 21 Aug 2017, 14:24

I made a pinhole viewer out of a cereal box and some office supplies: paper and tape from the copy room; a Pirate's Booty bag from the pantry for the aluminum foil; a staple to make the pinhole. And it works! It's not hugely dramatic, but it definitely works. It also reminds me that my aging eyes are starting to have trouble focusing on an image even as close as the other end of a cereal box.... *sigh*
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 21 Aug 2017, 14:30

JD wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 14:24
I made a pinhole viewer out of a cereal box and some office supplies: paper and tape from the copy room; a Pirate's Booty bag from the pantry for the aluminum foil; a staple to make the pinhole. And it works! It's not hugely dramatic, but it definitely works. It also reminds me that my aging eyes are starting to have trouble focusing on an image even as close as the other end of a cereal box.... *sigh*
I used a 12 pack box and a literal pin to make the pinhole. It works. Tiny, but it works. Can't capture an in focus picture for shit, though.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2017, 14:39

Everyone standing around outside taking occasional glimpses and passing around like 10 pairs of glasses. It's neat if you have the glasses, but at 90%+ it looked like slightly strange light to the naked eye (not direct).

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Aug 2017, 14:57

kid enjoyed it. it was neat.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Aug 2017, 15:07

I went out and looked for about 3 seconds. We only need 2 pairs of glasses at our office. Have a couple guys trying to take pictures. Same with the weird quality light, like twilight but with different shadows.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Aug 2017, 15:07

It was amazing you jerks.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 21 Aug 2017, 15:08

Pretty, pretty cool at 70% in NYC. Already contemplating plans to get some of that totality action in 2023.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Aug 2017, 15:09

FTFY
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Aug 2017, 15:13

Mo wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 15:09

FTFY
"I know the BEST sun and moon, we're going to have the best eclipses, just the best. Nobody could have known how the moon could go across the face of the sun."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."