Solar Eclipse/End of the World 2017

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Solar Eclipse/End of the World 2017

Post by Warren » 21 Aug 2017, 22:48

The number of celebrities that by all rights should be homeless is perhaps the most depressing of observations.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Aug 2017, 01:23

We got about two minutes of totality. Holy shit.

The drive back was less than four hours. We left around noon. Got home about 9PM.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Aug 2017, 08:44

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 01:23
The drive back was less than four hours. We left around noon. Got home about 9PM.
I had no idea the gravitional lensing of the moon was so severe as to cause a 5 hour time dialation!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Aug 2017, 23:49

Jake wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 13:50
Here in Cottage Grove, just south of the totality zone, almost all of the sun was covered by the moon.

It looked like a standard day in Oregon; it was effectively an "overcast simulator."

Aresen left early this morning to go to the actual zone of totality; we'll see what he has to say when he gets back. (Traffic cameras suggest it's going to take him a while to get here, as everyone who's ever lived starts trying to leave the zone at the same time.)
5 freakin' hours to go 54 miles on the I5!

Have I mentioned that I hate Californians?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Aug 2017, 23:56

As for the eclipse: I saw it in a town called Scio, about 15 miles east of Albany OR. It was about 2 miles from the centerline of totality.

The two minutes of totality was worth every bit of the hassle. It lived up to all the hype. Even when the sun was 99% hidden, it did not prepare me for the moment of totality: Looking up at a black hole in the sky surrounded by light! Venus was visible almost straight overhead.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Aug 2017, 12:19

Aresen wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 23:56
As for the eclipse: I saw it in a town called Scio, about 15 miles east of Albany OR. It was about 2 miles from the centerline of totality.

The two minutes of totality was worth every bit of the hassle. It lived up to all the hype. Even when the sun was 99% hidden, it did not prepare me for the moment of totality: Looking up at a black hole in the sky surrounded by light! Venus was visible almost straight overhead.
Yeah, this poor sad bastard at Devil's Tower on Sunday was talking about how he wasn't going to bother driving down to the path of totality because it'd be so crowded, and hey he'd see more than 95% from his campsite! A guy was trying to convince him that no really you should go down. I new that totality was absolutely what you wanted, but words cannot describe the difference between 99% and 100%. Pictures can't capture it. I hope somebody finally made the guy see reason. He traveled a long way to get to Devil's Tower (never heard from where, but seriously) and he fucking stopped at the one yard line and did a victory dance.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Dec 2017, 13:13

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Dec 2017, 03:10

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Dec 2017, 03:16

I just bought glasses for the next one.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren