Solar Eclipse/End of the World 2017

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Solar Eclipse/End of the World 2017

Post by Jennifer » 10 Aug 2017, 23:10

So, who is in or plans to be in the totality zone? Jeff and I live only a couple hours' drive outside the zone, and have a months-old reservation for a hotel in it. We've also owned a couple pairs of official NASA sun-viewing glasses ever since Jeff picked up a few at a years-ago astronomy convention.

I just hope the weather cooperates. I'll be seriously pissed off if a certain part of Tennessee has cloudy skies that day.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Re: Solar Eclipse/End of the World 2017

Post by Jennifer » 10 Aug 2017, 23:21

As of now -- with a wrath-of-God thunderstorm booming outside while I type this -- the ten-day forecast for my hotel reservations calls for rain or thunderstorms every day between now at the 21st; "AM showers" on the day itself. But of course, ten-day forecasts are rarely accurate that far out. Please PLEASE be clear skies just from, say, 1 to 3 pm that day -- the rest of the time can be absolute shit weather for all I care.

Seeing a total eclipse is one of my bucket-list items.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Aug 2017, 23:23

I live in the zone.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Aug 2017, 23:28

You're lucky. Got your sun-viewing glasses yet? Many public libraries will be passing them out for free; you can check to see if yours does.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Aug 2017, 00:02

I am heading to Oregon to see it. Jake has kindly invited me to stay with him, about 100 miles south of the totality zone. I plan on getting up very early to drive up between Albany and Salem to see it.

Interestingly, there is an annular eclipse on October 14, 2023 that passes right over Jake's home.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Aug 2017, 01:44

Feels a little silly that we're in Oregon now but will be leaving on the 14th. But we have obligations and I have already have seen one- I looked it up and I saw the one on February 26, 1979. As an adult seeing the efforts people are making to see this one, it blows me away how lucky I was to be growing up in a place where the totality path passed right over our heads without having to go anywhere, we just went out in our front yard. It will be worth it, and best of luck to be able to see it well- sky here in southern Oregon is very smokey right now.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Aug 2017, 03:33

We're heading to Wyoming for it. Fingers crossed for good weather and enough gas for everyone to get back to Colorado without blocking the interstate with out of gas cars.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 11 Aug 2017, 04:27

I'm going to travel to closer to the path of totality (Seattle), but I'm not actually going to totality---it's actually a bit annoying because some of the people I want to see on my trip are leaving town to see the eclipse.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Aug 2017, 11:20

My wife has us booked at two different locations to mitigate against bad weather. I honestly don't know where because I'll mostly be going along for the ride. Not that I'm uninterested, it's just that I'm not interested enough to have gone to the trouble. If I cared that much about natural phenomena, I'd have become a scientist.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Aug 2017, 12:14

We had been planning to make a trip down to Missouri, but as it got closer and it sounded like the hotel situation was getting crazier, I noped out. Plus then it saves us trying to make a crazy long drive with the kids. Sorry, children, you will have to miss this important event. You can tell your future therapists all about it.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2017, 12:18

Ellie wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 12:14
We had been planning to make a trip down to Missouri, but as it got closer and it sounded like the hotel situation was getting crazier, I noped out. Plus then it saves us trying to make a crazy long drive with the kids. Sorry, children, you will have to miss this important event. You can tell your future therapists all about it.
Why you no say anything? I think the Wagon Wheel still has available rooms.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Aug 2017, 12:51

dead_elvis wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 01:44
best of luck to be able to see it well- sky here in southern Oregon is very smokey right now.
Thanks. I've been worried about the smoke. It's all over British Columbia right now and I'd heard that it was in Washington as well. I didn't know how far south it extended.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Aug 2017, 13:50

I plan to spend the day in a metal tool shed.

"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Aug 2017, 16:08

Ellie wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 12:14
Even if they saw it, at their ages, they're too young to remember it well when they grow up anyway. So: no need for any parental guilt over this!

Plus, in all seriousness: if I had kids that age, I'd be a bit worried about taking them to see an eclipse, because they're too young to understand "You MUST NOT look at the eclipse, except through these special glasses which are too dark to let you see anything else." From what I understand, the corona isn't like the regular sun, where you don't want to look directly at it anyway because it hurts -- I gather it can still blind you without causing pain. So, ugh.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Aug 2017, 16:46

Aresen wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 12:51
dead_elvis wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 01:44
best of luck to be able to see it well- sky here in southern Oregon is very smokey right now.
Thanks. I've been worried about the smoke. It's all over British Columbia right now and I'd heard that it was in Washington as well. I didn't know how far south it extended.
It's just local smoke (as far as I know) , there are a bunch of fires around Crater Lake and it looks like a few spot fires in the area from the last few days' lightning activity. It's so smoky it would be hard to say if there is any high altitude haze from fires up north. Driving down I-5 last Monday it seemed fine, except agricultural activity was kicking up *huge* amounts of dust.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 11 Aug 2017, 23:54

I might be in the zone, but probably won't. I'm currently 10 minutes from totality, but I have no glasses and it's very often cloudy here.

Though if I did stay, binoculars and card stock work fairly well.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Aug 2017, 00:58

The link below leads to a map of all public libraries participating in the "free eclipse glasses" program.

http://spacescience.org/software/libraries/map.php

(Technically, what Jeff and I have are not "eclipse glasses" but "sunspot-viewing glasses." Same thing, though: glasses designed specifically to let you look directly at the sun without harm.)

(EDITED SECOND THOUGHT: Hmm, on the other hand, I wonder if it's possible that glasses designed to look at the full sun might be too dark to see just the corona?)

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Aug 2017, 01:10

Jennifer wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 00:58
The link below leads to a map of all public libraries participating in the "free eclipse glasses" program.

(Technically, what Jeff and I have are not "eclipse glasses" but "sunspot-viewing glasses." Same thing, though: glasses designed specifically to let you look directly at the sun without harm.)

(EDITED SECOND THOUGHT: Hmm, on the other hand, I wonder if it's possible that glasses designed to look at the full sun might be too dark to see just the corona?)
Apparently, it is safe to view the eclipse directly during totality (and only then.)
NASA wrote:If you are within the path of totality (https://go.nasa.gov/2pC0lhe (link is external)), remove your solar filter only when the moon completely covers the sun’s bright face and it suddenly gets quite dark. Experience totality, then, as soon as the bright sun begins to reappear, replace your solar viewer to look at the remaining partial phases.
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

(Of course, this may be part of a new NASA conspiracy to blind people as a followup to the Moon Hoax and the Flat Earth Cover-up.)

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Aug 2017, 01:11

Sandy wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 23:54
I might be in the zone, but probably won't. I'm currently 10 minutes from totality, but I have no glasses and it's very often cloudy here.

Though if I did stay, binoculars and card stock work fairly well.
I picked up an inexpensive ($4) set of filters from the optical department of a major drug store chain here. I have tested them and they do work.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Aug 2017, 01:23

Aresen wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 01:10
Jennifer wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 00:58

Apparently, it is safe to view the eclipse directly during totality (and only then.)
NASA wrote:If you are within the path of totality (https://go.nasa.gov/2pC0lhe (link is external)), remove your solar filter only when the moon completely covers the sun’s bright face and it suddenly gets quite dark. Experience totality, then, as soon as the bright sun begins to reappear, replace your solar viewer to look at the remaining partial phases.
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

(Of course, this may be part of a new NASA conspiracy to blind people as a followup to the Moon Hoax and the Flat Earth Cover-up.)
I'm not entirely certain those solar filters NASA's talking about are the same thing. The glasses I have were given out in June 2010 (I know the exact date because I checked the archives here, of all places); NASA passed them out at an astronomy convention to promote the "Solar Dynamics Observatory," and they're for looking at the sun, not at an eclipse. I know coronal light isn't quite the same as full sunlight (though I don't know what's specifically different about it); to allude to what I mentioned upthread re: why I'd be nervous about taking my hypothetical toddlers to view an eclipse, looking at the corona can blind you even more easily than looking at the sun, because unlike full-sun viewing, it apparently doesn't hurt. Not that I intend to try this myself.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29&p=3916&hilit=sunspots#p3916
In June 2010, Jennifer wrote: This isn't really "the market" so much as "your tax dollars at work, but at least I got something cool out of it": yesterday Jeff, who is the secretary and youngest member by far of the local astronomy society, went to "Starcon," their annual convention. Turns out NASA had a booth there, and to promote their new Solar Dynamics Observatory they were passing out free cardboard sunglasses fitted with a special black lens you can safely view the sun through.

The lens is amazing. Except for when you're looking directly at the sun you'd swear it was ordinary opaque black plastic -- I held it right in front of a bare 60-watt bulb and no light at all came through; Jeff held a laser pointer against it and said he could just barely see the light as he looked through the other side of the lens. He came home with five pairs of the glasses.

Due to the weather, I wasn't able to try them until a couple hours ago -- the sun was still mostly hidden behind clouds, and I couldn't see any sunspots, but it was really cool seeing the cloud wisps travel over it.
I tweeted a question to @NASA -- not that I expect anyone will answer at this time of the night, or even the weekend, but MAYBE I'll get a response sometime next week.

We only have three pairs of those glasses now. I've no idea what happened to the other two: there's two we always keep in our binoculars case, and I recently added a third I found in my box of anaglyph glasses and other small 3-d viewers.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Aug 2017, 04:27

Again, one doesn't need glasses for the corona. During totality, the damaging part of the sun is completely behind the moon. You need the glasses only during the partial eclipse phase. So the glasses you want are for viewing the sun's face, not the corona.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Aug 2017, 11:48

Interesting to see this. I was thinking earlier this week that if I were to buy eclipse glasses, I wouldn't do it from Amazon because the risk of a counterfeit is too high.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Aug 2017, 12:00

Mo wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 11:48
Interesting to see this. I was thinking earlier this week that if I were to buy eclipse glasses, I wouldn't do it from Amazon because the risk of a counterfeit is too high.
Interesting, I saw eclipse glasses on Amazon, but decided to get them from a local drug chain because of Amazon's poor record on controlling counterfeits.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2017, 13:33

Um guys. Unless you're planning on starring at the sun for an extended period of time, like several minutes or more, just about any glasses will do. All materials are opaque to the harmful UV wavicles.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Aug 2017, 14:10

Warren wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 13:33
Um guys. Unless you're planning on starring at the sun for an extended period of time, like several minutes or more, just about any glasses will do. All materials are opaque to the harmful UV wavicles.
Lolwut?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex