Fast as Lightnin' - boxing / mma / martial arts stuffs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Fast as Lightnin' - boxing / mma / martial arts stuffs

Post by JasonL » 04 Aug 2017, 14:09

Check out this Lomachenko cat and his lefty combo punching. Power in both hands, varied pace in the combo, patter patter BOOM, upstairs/downstairs. Dang.

Dangerman

Re: Fast as Lightnin' - boxing / mma / martial arts stuffs

Post by Dangerman » 05 Aug 2017, 12:06

I'm impressed with how he can slip to the power side and get long hits off on the counter.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Aug 2017, 19:13

Right. Lefty movement normally is ugly as fuck because the right jab disrupts the lead hand. You have slip and hook your way out of it. Dude is badass.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Aug 2017, 01:08

Footwork man. People don't give enough credit to good feet.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Aug 2017, 21:59

Replay of Floyd-Canelo is on. Connor may die guys.

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Aug 2017, 22:50

unless mayweather is truly beat to shit by life and choices and age yeah macgregor gets fucked over hard on this.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 25 Aug 2017, 22:54

MacGregor is annoying but Mayweather is a wife beater. Maybe MacGregor snaps and kicks Mayweather so hard in the head that he dies? MacGregor DQ'ed. Win win from my perspective.

dhex

Post by dhex » 25 Aug 2017, 22:58

It would either hasten the demise of boxing as a sport or reinvigorate bloodsport Fandom.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Aug 2017, 13:16

If you want to see that, there is a new video from Russia circulating, where a MMA fighter kills a power lifter in a public square with a head kick and a punch (and the ensuing head/concrete interface).

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Aug 2017, 01:33

It was probably the best possible version of that fight. Floyd wanted to take Connor deep and he laid back for 5 rounds. By the 9th it was inevitable but the ref made a great call on a stoppage after 12 flush power shots landed on Mcgregor's grill and he didn't have enough gas to raise his arms. Connor should be proud of how he acquitted himself in that situation. Used a long arm pushing jab and changing angles pretty well in early rounds. He just had no hope of going past 10.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Aug 2017, 07:31

All I know is, never bet on the white guy.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 Feb 2018, 18:48

I just came *this close* to seriousposting on a YouTube video about choke escapes, because some guy goes 'oh great, another technique that looks easy when you're 6' 2" / 250 and you have a compliant partner'.

OK dude, link a video with a technique that always works and anyone can use or stop complaining.

JD

Post by JD » 10 Apr 2018, 19:53

I just watched Bisping vs Henderson 2 (because it happened to be on at a bar I was at), or at least rounds 3-5. I don't know what mainstream opinion about it was, but IMO it was so bad it made me angry. Had I been there I would have been catcalling both fighters. Maybe they're great athletes, but it was dull as dishwater to watch.

The entire thing was pretty much them coming together, throwing a few inconclusive techniques...then nothing. On the rare occasions it went to the ground (much less often than most MMA fights I've seen) it was similarly inconclusive. I did agree with the decision for Bisping, since Henderson mostly sat around and waited for Bisping to attack him, but the fact that it went to five rounds is to me evidence that the whole fight was dull and inconclusive with neither fighter able to really make an attack count.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Apr 2018, 01:12

JD wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 19:53
I just watched Bisping vs Henderson 2 (because it happened to be on at a bar I was at), or at least rounds 3-5. I don't know what mainstream opinion about it was, but IMO it was so bad it made me angry. Had I been there I would have been catcalling both fighters. Maybe they're great athletes, but it was dull as dishwater to watch.

The entire thing was pretty much them coming together, throwing a few inconclusive techniques...then nothing. On the rare occasions it went to the ground (much less often than most MMA fights I've seen) it was similarly inconclusive. I did agree with the decision for Bisping, since Henderson mostly sat around and waited for Bisping to attack him, but the fact that it went to five rounds is to me evidence that the whole fight was dull and inconclusive with neither fighter able to really make an attack count.
By the way you are talking I'm going to assume you haven't seen their first fight. Otherwise you might not be wondering why the second one was so dull. Bisping got hit with one of the most vicious knockouts I've ever seen in MMA in their prior fight together. Henderson is old and slow but his right hand is a nuclear weapon. So Bisping was going to stay far away from that if he could. Unfortunately Henderson is primarily a counterpuncher and the only other thing he has is his wrestling and Bisping is technical enough not to get caught by that. So it's not surprising it was a yawner.

In case you were curious about the first fight's result.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Apr 2018, 09:01

The H bomb has ended many a fight. Hendo just waves the hand around in a perpetual wind up until he throws it.

Bisping is technical but, well, soft. Not because hendo got him, but over the course of his career, he doesn't have power in his hands and if the other guy makes it a scrap and technique breaks down, Bisping loses basically all of those fights.

JD

Post by JD » 11 Apr 2018, 12:35

Painboy wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 01:12
By the way you are talking I'm going to assume you haven't seen their first fight. Otherwise you might not be wondering why the second one was so dull. Bisping got hit with one of the most vicious knockouts I've ever seen in MMA in their prior fight together. Henderson is old and slow but his right hand is a nuclear weapon. So Bisping was going to stay far away from that if he could. Unfortunately Henderson is primarily a counterpuncher and the only other thing he has is his wrestling and Bisping is technical enough not to get caught by that. So it's not surprising it was a yawner.

No, I hadn't seen the first fight, although I'd heard some references from the announcers. That makes the second fight a lot more understandable, if not any more interesting to watch.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Apr 2018, 03:37

The writers are really laying it on thick this season.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... es-second/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 09 Oct 2018, 12:58

An interesting piece on dambe, a traditional Hausa martial art I'd never heard of before. It uses both punching and kicking, but fighters are only allowed to strike with one hand: the other is used for blocking and grabbing. Rounds don't have a time limit but are ended when a fighter's hand, knee, or body touches the ground, or when a participant or referee calls a halt.

JD

Post by JD » 07 Nov 2018, 10:43

So now it's looking like Tenshin Nasukawa vs Floyd Mayweather. I've seen some footage of Nasukawa, and he's really impressive, but I'm still not convinced of his ability to win, not if this is another straight-up boxing match. Nasukawa is young and fast, and it's been another year-plus on Mayweather, but Nasukawa's also four inches shorter and thirty pounds lighter than McGregor was. And any time you see one of these matchups, it's always kind of a hedgehog vs. fox thing ("the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one very important thing") and if the ruleset favors the hedgehog, well, the MMA fighter is giving up a large part of his toolset to fight somebody who's spent his entire career focusing on just one thing.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Nov 2018, 11:12

Ugh. U gonna fight a guy that weight, try Lomachenko - take your size and reach advantage and see what it gets you in that fight.

JD

Post by JD » 07 Nov 2018, 16:46