Demon Likkers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Demon Likkers

Post by JasonL » 15 Nov 2013, 18:30

That's cool. Took me a long time to realize why I loved some bourbon but hated most. I love all of the Wheated ones and hate the heavy rye ones regardless of age.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 15 Nov 2013, 23:46

Rye is gross. #noshame

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Nov 2013, 08:16

Dangerman wrote:Rye is gross. #noshame
I don't know about rye-heavy bourbons (I'm not sure that I've tried any), but rye whiskey is the market.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 16 Nov 2013, 11:19

That bourbon family tree explains why Old Forrester is my go-to cheap bourbon. Of course, I'm still working on my case of Garrison Brothers I picked up when we did the distillery tour a while back, so I don't so much need cheap bourbon. But I used the Old Forrester to make whiskey soaked cerries for a garnish to my Old Fashioneds and Salty Ham Tears.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Nov 2013, 15:53

tr0g wrote:That bourbon family tree explains why Old Forrester is my go-to cheap bourbon. Of course, I'm still working on my case of Garrison Brothers I picked up when we did the distillery tour a while back, so I don't so much need cheap bourbon. But I used the Old Forrester to make whiskey soaked cerries for a garnish to my Old Fashioneds and Salty Ham Tears.
OK, you've gotta re-post the recipe for Salty Ham Tears.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Nov 2013, 21:08

lunchstealer wrote:
tr0g wrote:That bourbon family tree explains why Old Forrester is my go-to cheap bourbon. Of course, I'm still working on my case of Garrison Brothers I picked up when we did the distillery tour a while back, so I don't so much need cheap bourbon. But I used the Old Forrester to make whiskey soaked cerries for a garnish to my Old Fashioneds and Salty Ham Tears.
It takes a while. Getting a small child to cry on stage after her father loses political office is no small feat.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 16 Nov 2013, 22:14

lunchstealer wrote:
It's an Old Fashioned with Bacon Bourbon and Brown Sugar simple syrup. 1/2 oz brown sugar syrup, 1-1/2 oz bacon bourbon, dash of bitters, soaked cherry on top, serve over rocks in a short glass. If you have a particular favorite variant of an Old Fashioned, just sub in the brown sugar and the bacon bourbon.

You can also make Bourbon Milkshakes. I cup vanilla ice cream, 2 oz bourbon, 2 oz chocolate syrup. It rocks in the summer.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 27 Nov 2013, 10:42

Last night I made a Ramos Gin Fizz, since we're going to be serving them at a party soon at which I have volunteered to serve as bartender, and I'd never made (or even had) one before.

Firstly, I would like to say the article is right in its assessment, and I hope nobody orders one. They are a pain in the ass to make. You need a whole bunch of different ingredients, some of which are not likely to be used for much of anything else (orange flower water?), some of which are a nuisance in and of themselves (the white of one egg?) and you have to shake the damn thing for at least a solid minute. (Apparently some older recipes say for twelve minutes. At that point, I would just break down and buy a paint mixer.) They make our other offering, the Sazerac, look like a paragon of simplicity. (Sugar, bitters, rye, lemon peel, wash of Herbsaint, done.)

But they are pretty good, especially for such an unlikely-sounding drink as one containing gin, heavy cream, raw egg, and citrus juice. They do seem like a drink from a more civilized time, because they take forever to make and you are sure as hell not drinking these just to get fucked up.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2017, 05:48

Botanist gin and a bit of Fragoli wild strawberry make for a nice nightcap. Though maybe a strong one.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem