Demon Likkers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dbcooper

Re: Demon Likkers

Post by dbcooper » 02 Nov 2012, 02:10

Did someone also offer to order you a shandy? ;)
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Nov 2012, 09:00

Warren wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Hardly, Warren. Like most gentlemen, I drink gin and tonic.
Which is not a sweet drink.
Tonic Water: 30g of sugar/12 oz
Coke: 39g of sugar/12 oz
Warren wrote:There's another category of popular drinks witch involve multiple types of booze. The point is to put as much alcohol in the glass as possible so as to get shitfaced as quickly as possible and then as much concentrated sugar as it takes to be able to drink it. I really don't think it matters what you make this kind of drink out of as long as it's strong and sweet.
Mixing multiple types of booze doesn't make a drink more alcoholic.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2012, 10:02

Mo wrote:Tonic Water: 30g of sugar/12 oz
No shit?
Never the less, I stand by my admonishment; A neo mixologist should stay away from gin. Gin comes with a bouquet of strong flavors. It's too easy to create dissonance, or at best just muddy it up.
True enough. But then again not really. For whatever reason there aren't many (any?) cocktails that call for four shots of vodka and and a splash of syrup. The reason you put four kinds of booze in a Long Island Iced Tea is to get four times the booze. Even the Zombie uses three kinds of rum (though in fairness, that's about adjusting the alcohol and color and not so much flavor).
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Nov 2012, 11:59

What the fuck just happened? No. Just ... no. No sweet drinks. There's plenty of those out there. That's for sissies. And gin and sprite? This I don't even . . .

Christ. Jadagul . . . here. Just take this recipe and all shall be forgiven. Muddle about 4 or 6 seedless cucumber slices with 1/4 oz lime juice and 1/4 simple syrup. Add 2oz Hendricks. Shake hard enough to break ice chips in the shaker. Strain into martini glass. That's as sweet as I will allow on my watch.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Nov 2012, 12:02

dbcooper wrote:
Warren wrote:This is all you need to know about mixed drinks:
http://drunkard.com/issues/55/55-invisible-king.html

I don't know what the kids are drinking these days, but last I looked they were pouring top shelf liquor into sugar water.
So all you need to do is grab a bottle of anything and pour a jigger into a can of whatever. But I can't stop myself from offering the following.

There are non-sweet mixed drinks, but they're harder to do and they're not nearly as popular. Even if you perfect one, the first thing someone's gonna do is make a strawberry version of it. So stick with sweet. Start with something you like to drink and maybe add some fruit juice to it. Next see if it's improved with some sort of syrup (chocolate, maple, honey etc). If there's no bubbles in what you got you can add club soda if you want (seltzer is even better). Then add a shot of booze. Rum is the go-to booze for sweet drinks. It's made from sugar so it goes with sugar. Vodka goes with anything. Whiskey will almost always blend and will bring some color to the party, but that color is brown. Stay away from tequila and gin. And no scotch worth drinking should ever ever be mixed with anything save water/ice. Although the Rob Roy is traditionally made with scotch, which is why it should never be made.
Pham, where's your stamp?

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2012, 12:13

Put that thing away before someone gets hurt.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 02 Nov 2012, 12:37

dbcooper wrote:

Jadgl pls.
This whole exchange has me laughing harder than is warranted in a professional office. Well done.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Nov 2012, 13:50

Warren wrote:
No shit?
Never the less, I stand by my admonishment; A neo mixologist should stay away from gin. Gin comes with a bouquet of strong flavors. It's too easy to create dissonance, or at best just muddy it up.
Tonic has sugar to ameliorate the taste of quinine, which, unsweetened, would make you gag.

If you have good ginger ale or ginger beer, both gin-and-ginger and bourbon-and-ginger can be a refreshing alternative to the gin-and-tonic for those who enjoy sweeter beverages, while still having some actual character, and not over-muddling the flavors. The ginger complements the herbal notes in the gin nicely.

It's especially good if you can't afford Hendrick's or the like.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Nov 2012, 14:06

lunchstealer wrote:Tonic has sugar to ameliorate the taste of quinine, which, unsweetened, would make you gag.
Though most modern tonic water doesn't have much quinine. Even stuff like Fever Tree is still fairly sweet.

And yes, a good ginger beer (ie, it makes your lips tingle) combines well with gins.

Mind, I fear whoever here pointed me at Hendricks spoiled me for most gins. I've liked Citadelle and Botanist, but Bombay Sapphire made me sad - its taste gets overwhelmed if you make a martini with more than vermouth fumes.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Nov 2012, 14:19

Well eric there is always Quintessential if you want something else amazing. Light on the juniper balanced with citrus-y taste and aromas.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Nov 2012, 14:21

Pham Nuwen wrote:Well eric there is always Quintessential if you want something else amazing. Light on the juniper balanced with citrus-y taste and aromas.
I like the juniper, but that does sound interesting; I'll keep an eye out.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 02 Nov 2012, 15:23

Ellie wrote:So, I have this co-worker named Rob whom we've started fake-taunting by saying "Rob. Rob. Rob." under our breath when we walk past him (whatever, MJP is boring and we have to make our own fun). We're going to a happy hour next week and are trying to come up with a cocktail that we could call a "Rob Rob Rob." Some variation on a Rob Roy, maybe? I don't know about mixed drinks!
http://cocktaildb.com/index has a couple
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Nov 2012, 15:26

Pham Nuwen wrote:What the fuck just happened? No. Just ... no. No sweet drinks. There's plenty of those out there. That's for sissies. And gin and sprite? This I don't even . . .

Christ. Jadagul . . . here. Just take this recipe and all shall be forgiven. Muddle about 4 or 6 seedless cucumber slices with 1/4 oz lime juice and 1/4 simple syrup. Add 2oz Hendricks. Shake hard enough to break ice chips in the shaker. Strain into martini glass. That's as sweet as I will allow on my watch.
No cucumber. Cucumber is positively foul stuff.

Honestly, I mostly go for old-fashioneds and Sazeracs these days. Or stick with wine, which is better anyway but sometimes bloody expensive.
Warren wrote:
No shit?
True enough. But then again not really. For whatever reason there aren't many (any?) cocktails that call for four shots of vodka and and a splash of syrup. The reason you put four kinds of booze in a Long Island Iced Tea is to get four times the booze. Even the Zombie uses three kinds of rum (though in fairness, that's about adjusting the alcohol and color and not so much flavor).
Nah, the point of the Long Island is that if you mix it right you can't taste the alcohol. For a while it was my favorite drink, with the one downside that it got me drunk. I don't like being drunk.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Nov 2012, 16:45

Jadagul wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:What the fuck just happened? No. Just ... no. No sweet drinks. There's plenty of those out there. That's for sissies. And gin and sprite? This I don't even . . .

More for me!

I've only sliced up cucumbers to adulterate my Hendricks G&Ts with; that sounds good, though I don't think I've had a drink with simple syrup in it. Would agave nectar also work?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Nov 2012, 16:51

The only universally acceptable gentleman's mixed drink is single malt scotch mixed with ice.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Nov 2012, 17:26

D.A. Ridgely wrote:The only universally acceptable gentleman's mixed drink is single malt scotch mixed with ice.
And that should be poor single malt scotch. Although actually if you've got cask strength good single malt, you should mix it with a bit of water so the alcohol burn doesn't overwhelm the complexity of the stuff.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Nov 2012, 17:45

Eric the .5b wrote:
Jadagul wrote:

More for me!

I've only sliced up cucumbers to adulterate my Hendricks G&Ts with; that sounds good, though I don't think I've had a drink with simple syrup in it. Would agave nectar also work?
Good question. And it's an easy question to answer as you shall see. I'm glad you brought it up. You see agaOHMYGODWHATTHEFUCKISTHATBEHINDYOU!!!????!??!!??

*runs away*

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Nov 2012, 18:18

Longer Pham:

Yes, Agave nectar will work just fine. Agave nectar is a fructose syrup, while simple syrup is a sucrose syrup. You'll get very slightly different flavor, but nothing important.

Simple syrup, by the way, is literally just one part sugar by volume plus one part water by volume, heated on low heat until the sugar dissolves.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Nov 2012, 18:44

Agave has a distinct taste. I really have no idea if it would work. If you wanna go full on, then I suggest making simple syrup. You just boil sugar and water together. Bam. Here's a link dawg.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_C ... eSyrup.htm

Edit: I didn't notice Lunchstealers recipe. I would say 2 parts water one part sugar but that's just so it's not like syrup so much.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2012, 20:02

lunchstealer wrote:Simple syrup, by the way, is literally just one part sugar by volume plus one part water by volume, heated on low heat until the sugar dissolves.
Actually Simple syrup is two parts sugar by volume plus one part water by volume, heated over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. That's why it's sweeter than pure sugar.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 02 Nov 2012, 20:36

lunchstealer wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:The only universally acceptable gentleman's mixed drink is single malt scotch mixed with ice.
And that should be poor single malt scotch. Although actually if you've got cask strength good single malt, you should mix it with a bit of water so the alcohol burn doesn't overwhelm the complexity of the stuff.
I've kind of gotten to where I like my single malt scotch with no ice but maybe a splash of water or soda. It may sound pretentious but i seem to have developed some kind of sense of "the nose" of a drink and for whiskey, as with brandy, I think that requires a drink at room temperature.

That goes for most whiskeys for me now. Right now I have Crown Royal Black (plus CR regular), Alberta Premium Rye, and a couple of cheap Canadian whiskeys in my liquor cabinet (I don't know if they still do but Canadians used to refer to Canadian Whiskey as Rye, though it is in fact a blend and can use rye, malt, and/or corn whiskeys and/or even neutral grain spirits). Alberta Premium Rye is pure rye (a blend, not a small batch) and at one time was the only pure rye sold in LCBO stores. My daughter brought me a bottle on her last visit.

The cheap Canadians are the only ones I use in mixed drinks, though I like a Manhattan made with Alberta Premium. I also like Rob Roys but I don't think I'd use a single Malt to make one. In general, any North American whiskey is acceptable in a Manhattan.

There are some small batch bourbons I put in the same class as as a single malt scotch.

Oh, and watching Mad Men has reminded me that at one time people actually considered Canadian Club to be a high quality Canadian Whiskey.
Last edited by Isaac Bartram on 03 Nov 2012, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

JD

Post by JD » 03 Nov 2012, 15:09

I like Old Crow on the rocks, myself. It's about the best $11 whiskey you can buy.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Nov 2012, 15:34

Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:Simple syrup, by the way, is literally just one part sugar by volume plus one part water by volume, heated on low heat until the sugar dissolves.
Actually Simple syrup is two parts sugar by volume plus one part water by volume, heated over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. That's why it's sweeter than pure sugar.
Not the way I learned it. I use 1/1 for cooking applications.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 Nov 2012, 16:11

Warren wrote:

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Nov 2012, 16:23

I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.