Small joys and random good things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Small joys and random good things

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 17:07
Remember the leather jacket that I lost? I got it back! I went to the only place I could realistically think of having left it, the shoe repair place I take all my leather stuff to, and they still had it! Being crumpled up in a plastic bag for months didn't really do it any favors, but I don't even care, I'm just glad to have it back.
JD wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 09:44
I don't recall leaving it at a repair shop or anything, and it's hard to imagine I would have taken it in for repair and then totally forgotten about it. So I'm at a complete loss as to my favorite leather jacket.
disparaging remark regarding your imagination
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 17:14
JD wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 17:07
Remember the leather jacket that I lost? I got it back! I went to the only place I could realistically think of having left it, the shoe repair place I take all my leather stuff to, and they still had it! Being crumpled up in a plastic bag for months didn't really do it any favors, but I don't even care, I'm just glad to have it back.
JD wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 09:44
I don't recall leaving it at a repair shop or anything, and it's hard to imagine I would have taken it in for repair and then totally forgotten about it. So I'm at a complete loss as to my favorite leather jacket.
disparaging remark regarding your imagination
Hey, I'll accept it. It seemed unlikely to me, but it was also the most likely of a bunch of unlikely situations.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Hey, glad you got it back.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian »

This may be better off in the cars thread, but I hit 50 mpg on this last tank. I am pleased.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Highway

Post by Highway »

I've been doing the best in winter that I have since I got my car, with tanks at 46 mpg (per a mileage log, not the onboard computer, which is usually 1-2 above that).

I've had winter months where it would be down at 35, but my trips are different and I've gotten better at saving fuel.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Mileage log?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Highway

Post by Highway »

I record fill up dates, current mileage, price, and gallons. The app I use then gives me a mpg figure.

Most vehicle onboard computer mileage figures are a bit high.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Do you do that to get compensated for work-related travel?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Highway

Post by Highway »

No, I do something else to get compensated, a way more basic log that is not based on actual travel, just a maximum amount from one office to another.

I do the fuel one because of inertia. My dad did it while I was growing up and I just kept doing it, especially because bits really easy with an app.

dhex

Post by dhex »

My Kia soul gets crap gas mileage and that goddamn bridge don't help.

On the plus side I convinced myself to get a midlife crisis synth so that's cool.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dhex wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 10:59

On the plus side I convinced myself to get a midlife crisis synth so that's cool.
Nice. Sandy's doing that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

JD

Post by JD »

Just got back from visiting the in-laws in Louisiana. I'm really hoping my older nephew comes to visit us in NYC soon. He's had kind of a rough life family-wise - his bio-dad took off when he was something like 18 months old, and his mom is a complete fuckup who has never shown much interest in raising him or in his education; if it weren't for his grandparents he'd probably be in a much worse place. He's 17 and has never been much more than a couple hundred miles from home or flown on a plane, and he's a high school dropout and is kinda sorta working part time while he lives with his grandparents.

We have brought up the possibility of him coming to visit us for a week or so, because I think it would be really good to show him some of the world beyond his small town. He seems interested, but his grandmother is all, "Oh, he's so nervous about it, and he's never flown before and you want him to fly up and have to transfer planes and you don't get how naive he is about some things etc. etc." And I just get frustrated, because I think that's her anxiety speaking, not his. He's not an idiot; he can recite the alphabet and count to 30, which is about all you need to take a commercial flight, and he'd have someone to take him to and from the airport at either end, and we'd be showing him around New York. I just worry that he'll let her judgement override his own. I don't have any kids of my own and I'm not going to, so my nephews and my niece are the kids I'm most likely to be able to affect in some way, and I'd really like to be able to make a difference, so I've got my fingers crossed we make it all work out.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ooh, I hope you CAN do this, JD! That would be a great opportunity for your nephew.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Fingers crossed, JD.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

The Oscars happened last night and I wasn't aware of it.

It is truly a wonderful thing to be so indifferent to Hollywood.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 16:44
The Oscars happened last night and I wasn't aware of it.

It is truly a wonderful thing to be so indifferent to Hollywood.
Cheers
THIS SPACE FOR RENT