Small joys and random good things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Small joys and random good things

Post by lunchstealer » 30 May 2018, 14:17

JD wrote:
30 May 2018, 11:06
This is a story with a happy ending, and one of the central characters is actually my wife's sister.

tl;dr version: 25 years ago or so, she was walking through a field and found a Purple Heart. It had a name on it, but she was never able to find the owner or any relatives. A while back, she started looking again, and was able to find the recipient's family and return the medal to them.
"When the North Korean Army overran the 38th parallel dividing the communist north from the capitalist south touching off war on the small island..."

I suppose that kind of thing from a local-interest reporter is better than my cow-orker in our mapping department asking the room at large, "Hey, is the island of Costa Rica in the Atlantic Ocean or the Pacific Ocean?"

Anyway, good on your sister-in-law.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 May 2018, 03:59

Isla Nublar?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 May 2018, 10:15

lunchstealer wrote:
30 May 2018, 14:17
JD wrote:
30 May 2018, 11:06
This is a story with a happy ending, and one of the central characters is actually my wife's sister.

tl;dr version: 25 years ago or so, she was walking through a field and found a Purple Heart. It had a name on it, but she was never able to find the owner or any relatives. A while back, she started looking again, and was able to find the recipient's family and return the medal to them.
"When the North Korean Army overran the 38th parallel dividing the communist north from the capitalist south touching off war on the small island..."

I suppose that kind of thing from a local-interest reporter is better than my cow-orker in our mapping department asking the room at large, "Hey, is the island of Costa Rica in the Atlantic Ocean or the Pacific Ocean?"

Anyway, good on your sister-in-law.
Maybe her maps are out of date, like the ones that used to show California as an island? Miss Teen South Carolina tried to warn us, after all.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 04 Jun 2018, 16:09

Mo wrote:
31 May 2018, 03:59
Isla Nublar?
Which some people refer to as a fictionalized Isla del Coco which does belong to Costa Rica*. If one is the sort to rely on movies for accurate geography, maybe it's an understandable mistake. Since no reasonable person does this though...

*and is an incredible place. They don't let just any ol' tourist stay there, but my FIL worked for their park service for a while and got to go.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 05 Jun 2018, 23:11

I am glad nobody died in the chase of that M577 in Virginia. That way I can laugh without feeling guilty when someone sets the videos of it to Yakety Sax.

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Oct 2018, 17:39

Not a laugh thing, but I always chuckle at this and just wanted to share it.

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."