Legion's air disease is all in your head (spoilers)

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Legion's air disease is all in your head (spoilers)

Post by Kolohe » 24 Mar 2017, 12:08

I'm very surprised that I like Legion so much. It's weird that almost nothing has actually happened over the course of the past 3 episodes, and yet, still so good.

I am also amazed that the show has the courage of its convictions to keep exposition so light. (Though this past episode was "ok, if you're not fully up to speed of everything that's going on, here it is spelled out.)

Every episode is a cold open (with unique integrated title graphic design in each, which is a great touch). No episode does a 'previously on' so it rewards paying attention.

The visual effects and set design, as mentioned here already are top notch. (Though I didn't actually like the 'rescue' scene at the end of the first episode, I thought it was hokey and amateurish compared to what came before and what would come after - i.e. the bullet time scene in the boyhood home)

I wonder if they cast Dan Stevens *just* so he could do the dueling accents of this previous episode. Brilliant idea well executed, regardless.

The only thing I don't get right now is who was the guy that was stabbed in the boyhood home & catonic in the hospital (and saved the day in the silent movie)?Was he just another Legion team member from the home base? (And was he stabbed by Mutant Art Garfunkel? I don't remember) (I also don't quite get what happened to Mutant Art Garfunkel at the end, but maybe he'll be back somehow)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Re: Legion's air disease is all in your head (spoilers)

Post by JasonL » 24 Mar 2017, 18:37

I love it. Most visually impressive and bonkers yet oddly coherent in the long view piece of work I've seen in forever. This will be very hard to sustain.

Drooling guy is the telekinetic mutant Rudy who lives with the rest of them and was the original drooling guy in Clockwork in the first episode. He was, I think "broken out" at the same time as he was flinging people all over the place (at the time I thought that was David doing that). He got stabbed in the real house but I don't quite follow what happened to him either. Nor Garfunkel.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 Apr 2017, 18:08

Caught up on this over the last couple of days. It's the best thing on TV after The Expanse.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Apr 2017, 23:52

Agree.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Apr 2017, 23:31

Am I correct that only eight episodes have aired, or did my DVR foul up?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Apr 2017, 01:20

Kolohe wrote:Am I correct that only eight episodes have aired, or did my DVR foul up?
You are correct. The first season has only eight episodes.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 May 2017, 16:41

Just finished the season on Hulu. I really loved the first part, but once the sister gets kidnapped and they're all trapped in the mental hospital (which seemed a bit long and pointless) and then there's inexplicably some sort of red light alert zombie attack mirage overlaid on the mental hospital mirage... I don't know, it kind of lost me a bit. Still great television, though.

I'm still confused who Lenny was. Obviously the monster mostly, but somehow also a real woman who died? Was she real until then and after that the monster stopped being Benny and started looking like Lenny?
Kolohe wrote:
I wonder if they cast Dan Stevens *just* so he could do the dueling accents of this previous episode. Brilliant idea well executed, regardless.
That was my favorite part of the whole season.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 May 2017, 23:40

My take is that the monster looks like Aubrey Plaza when the monster is more or less in full control of its interaction with its host and others, but its creepier forms leak out when it loses control and/or the host and others are under some kind of stress (either physical or mental)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 May 2017, 11:27

But was Aubrey Plaza also a real person in the hospital? Sydney and whatshisname (guy who got burned) both mentioned a girl getting killed in the hospital while Syd was in David's body.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 May 2017, 11:56

You're right, I forgot about that. Thinking about it more, it's the memories in David's head that are erratic, so its sometimes Aubrey Plaza that gets palette swapped onto memories that are more or less pleasant (even if its on a drug bender), while more anxious moments cause the guy Lenny (and especially his bloated grotesque avatar) to manifest in the memory. And different sort of anxiety (or another emotion altogether) shows the monster as that fat head angry kid hitler.

I'm satisfied that I get what's been going on, even if I can't explain it.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 May 2017, 12:23

That makes sense --he was falsely remembering his druggie friend Benny as Aubrey Plaza, so he could be falsely remembering hospital girl as Aubrey Plaza. Or Aubrey Plaza was the hospital girl, and the monster took her form after she died (and then overwrote the Benny memories I guess?)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 May 2017, 14:29

It's possible (I'd have to watch the first episode or two again), that, in reality, there was a woman in the mental hospital that looked like Aubrey Plaza, but Dan never actually talked to her - all the conversations in the hospital were in his head, with his monster, who was projecting itself as Aubrey Plaza

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 May 2017, 14:30

(This seems like the thing that would be obvious on a rewatch, so if it's not, then that theory is likely wrong)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Jun 2017, 14:18

Apparently the guy who plays Cary is also Mr. Noodle on Elmo's World? :shock:

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 May 2018, 08:15

I'm liking how they're handling this season of Legion. I was worried because the premiere episode was perhaps a bit too self indulgent, but since then they've settled down and have continued to be innovative in interesting and smart ways.

This last episode they went full Kubrick, completely unapologetically.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 May 2018, 08:19

I love it.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 May 2018, 12:11

I'd forgotten this started again until I saw Jason's FB post last night. Immediately watched the first two episodes.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 May 2018, 21:46

All caught up. Holy Fukkin shit.