In the Not Too Distant Future...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: In the Not Too Distant Future...

Post by Highway » 27 Sep 2018, 07:30

Painboy wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 01:42
I still can't figure out how I feel about the new show. The writing is pretty good but the execution isn't always there. I've only watched a few so I might watch some more and see if I start to get used to it.
I've only watched a couple, the thing that I can't get into about the newer one is that the hecklers never shut up, ever. It's just this constant stream of blathering seemingly in the hope that one of the bazillion things they say will be funny. You don't have any time to process any jokes, cause they're always 4 jokes past that one. So nothing ends up funny to me because you can barely register that they're talking about anything happening on the screen, which half the time they don't seem to be.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Sep 2018, 10:52

The faster pace really works for me! But I'm weird like that.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Sep 2018, 11:03

Ellie wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 10:52
I don't mind some faster paced things (like the only movie reviews on youtube I can bother to sit through are Bob Chipman's, and he's going 5 miles a minute), but I just felt on MST3K like they throw in anything they could conceivably say during the movie, rather than actually picking what the best jokes and quips are before recording.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Sep 2018, 11:52

The pace actually evens out as the season unfolds.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Sep 2018, 12:19

Highway wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 11:03
Ellie wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 10:52
I don't mind some faster paced things (like the only movie reviews on youtube I can bother to sit through are Bob Chipman's, and he's going 5 miles a minute), but I just felt on MST3K like they throw in anything they could conceivably say during the movie, rather than actually picking what the best jokes and quips are before recording.
I think my issue is that the previous crews had a way of making you feel like your in the same room with them. Like they're just hanging out and having some fun with the movie along with you. The very early original episodes was an attempt to do that spontaneously. That didn't really work because it's too hard to come up with stuff on the fly consistently so they wrote stuff first and then acted it out as if it was spontaneous. They would also include parts where they would just laugh at the screen or even their own jokes. The new ones just feel too much like a performance to me.
Last edited by Painboy on 27 Sep 2018, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Sep 2018, 12:24

I think I like the performative aspect too. I've never been a fan of watching bad movies with friends just for the fun of the bad movie. (Which is not to say I don't see the appeal for others! It's just never been my cup of tea.) So when I put on an MST3K or a RiffTrax, I'm definitely thinking more like "I'm going to watch a funny movie" the way I would with any comedy movie.

But that's all just me! :)
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Sep 2018, 20:20

Highway wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 11:03
(like the only movie reviews on youtube I can bother to sit through are Bob Chipman's, and he's going 5 miles a minute)
Uhg. Bob never fails to pepper his reviews with an assumption that everyone simply must agree that Trump is the worst thing since Reagan. The downward spiral of identity politics is pushing me towards despair. I had to unfollow.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Nov 2018, 16:03

Noted for those who make it a part of your holiday tradition: the MST3k Turkey Day marathon is happening on Sunday 11/18 this year so as not to step on the toes of season 12, which drops on actual Turkey Day.

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul