In the Not Too Distant Future...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: In the Not Too Distant Future...

Post by Highway » 27 Sep 2018, 07:30

Painboy wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 01:42
I still can't figure out how I feel about the new show. The writing is pretty good but the execution isn't always there. I've only watched a few so I might watch some more and see if I start to get used to it.
I've only watched a couple, the thing that I can't get into about the newer one is that the hecklers never shut up, ever. It's just this constant stream of blathering seemingly in the hope that one of the bazillion things they say will be funny. You don't have any time to process any jokes, cause they're always 4 jokes past that one. So nothing ends up funny to me because you can barely register that they're talking about anything happening on the screen, which half the time they don't seem to be.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Ellie » 27 Sep 2018, 10:52

The faster pace really works for me! But I'm weird like that.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Sep 2018, 11:03

Ellie wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 10:52
I don't mind some faster paced things (like the only movie reviews on youtube I can bother to sit through are Bob Chipman's, and he's going 5 miles a minute), but I just felt on MST3K like they throw in anything they could conceivably say during the movie, rather than actually picking what the best jokes and quips are before recording.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Sep 2018, 11:52

The pace actually evens out as the season unfolds.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Sep 2018, 12:19

Highway wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 11:03
Ellie wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 10:52
I don't mind some faster paced things (like the only movie reviews on youtube I can bother to sit through are Bob Chipman's, and he's going 5 miles a minute), but I just felt on MST3K like they throw in anything they could conceivably say during the movie, rather than actually picking what the best jokes and quips are before recording.
I think my issue is that the previous crews had a way of making you feel like your in the same room with them. Like they're just hanging out and having some fun with the movie along with you. The very early original episodes was an attempt to do that spontaneously. That didn't really work because it's too hard to come up with stuff on the fly consistently so they wrote stuff first and then acted it out as if it was spontaneous. They would also include parts where they would just laugh at the screen or even their own jokes. The new ones just feel too much like a performance to me.
Last edited by Painboy on 27 Sep 2018, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Sep 2018, 12:24

I think I like the performative aspect too. I've never been a fan of watching bad movies with friends just for the fun of the bad movie. (Which is not to say I don't see the appeal for others! It's just never been my cup of tea.) So when I put on an MST3K or a RiffTrax, I'm definitely thinking more like "I'm going to watch a funny movie" the way I would with any comedy movie.

But that's all just me! :)

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Sep 2018, 20:20

Highway wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 11:03
(like the only movie reviews on youtube I can bother to sit through are Bob Chipman's, and he's going 5 miles a minute)
Uhg. Bob never fails to pepper his reviews with an assumption that everyone simply must agree that Trump is the worst thing since Reagan. The downward spiral of identity politics is pushing me towards despair. I had to unfollow.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Nov 2018, 16:03

Noted for those who make it a part of your holiday tradition: the MST3k Turkey Day marathon is happening on Sunday 11/18 this year so as not to step on the toes of season 12, which drops on actual Turkey Day.

"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Mar 2019, 16:38

Every time I watch Catalina Caper I wonder what a 2019 revival of the Teen Beach Party Movie genre would look like.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 28 Mar 2019, 11:13

Hugh Akston wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 16:38
Every time I watch Catalina Caper I wonder what a 2019 revival of the Teen Beach Party Movie genre would look like.
http://www.mtv.com/shows/siesta-key
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Mar 2019, 16:08

Hugh Akston wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 16:38
SJW vs MAGA in the stand. With beer and pot.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Sep 2019, 15:18

I finally get to ask this question because I encountered someone today who was unfamiliar: what is/are the best episodes of MST3k to introduce someone to the show?

JD

Post by JD » 09 Sep 2019, 15:59

Hugh Akston wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 15:18
I finally get to ask this question because I encountered someone today who was unfamiliar: what is/are the best episodes of MST3k to introduce someone to the show?
I was always very fond of 418, Attack of the the Eye Creatures. It's Joel-era; the movie itself is a goofy rubber-suit monster movie, and nothing in the host segments requires too much knowledge of MST3K history, so I think it's pretty accessible.

519, Outlaw, (Mike-era) is also pretty damn funny, and features Jack Palance.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Sep 2019, 16:15

Hugh Akston wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 15:18
Here's the poll from the 2016 Thanksgiving marathon:

https://mst3k.fandom.com/wiki/Top_100_Episodes_of_MST3K

Space Mutiny, Final Sacrifice, and Time Chasers are all solid Mike ones. Hobgoblins and Laserblast would work, too. I haven't seen as many Joel ones, but the good Joel ones tend to be the advanced viewing ones like Manos.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Sep 2019, 16:29

Manos feels like the absolute last episode you should introduce people to the show with. It's definitely funny, but wading through the actual movie is something you need to build up some endurance for.

For Joel episodes I'm leaning toward Catalina Caper or Warrior of the Lost World.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Sep 2019, 17:01

Space Mutiny, Final Sacrifice, and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians are all solid for an introductory episode. Pod People is good too -- we showed it to a bunch of our friends who hadn't seen MST3K and it went over well.

Mitchell is one of the all time greatest riffs in my opinion, but you'd need to only show the movie parts and skip past the interstitials* because that's Joel's last episode so it will mean nothing to a newbie.

* this is what David and I call the not-movie-riffing segments. Do these have an official term in the MST3K fandom?

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Sep 2019, 17:01

I'd think that in general, a lot of the kaiju/monster movies are pretty good ones for introducing someone without really worrying about which are the 'best' ones. Everyone recognizes that style of movie, and knows they have plenty of easy to make jokes.

If I were being introduced to MST3K, I'd almost want to stay away from the outright 'best' ones (like Space Mutiny), because there's just nowhere to go up from there.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Sep 2019, 17:04

Avoid Red Zone Cuba as a first watch, because the movie itself is just so bad. (Some sources call it the worst professionally-made English language movie ever.)

The Kaiju ones are a good starting point, I agree.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Sep 2019, 17:05

Highway wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 17:01
If I were being introduced to MST3K, I'd almost want to stay away from the outright 'best' ones (like Space Mutiny), because there's just nowhere to go up from there.
That's a good point!

There was one I saw part of recently, with girls at a convent I think, and Paul Anka? I don't remember what it was called, but it was good-bad.

Edited to add: Girls Town!

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Sep 2019, 17:06

Ellie wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 17:01
* this is what David and I call the not-movie-riffing segments. Do these have an official term in the MST3K fandom?
Host segments.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 09 Sep 2019, 17:21

Werewolf and Puma Man are also good ones. Although Puma Man's protagonist's whining can get a little grating for some.

Space Mutiny really is the best, but you may be generating expectations too high for any following shows.

I agree that you should stay away from Manos at first as you need to develop some bad movie callouses to really enjoy it.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Sep 2019, 18:22

Ideally I would like at least one episode with a short. I would love to recommend the Last Clear Chance short, but Radar Secret Service is such a slog.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Sep 2019, 19:20

Hugh Akston wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 18:22
Ideally I would like at least one episode with a short. I would love to recommend the Last Clear Chance short, but Radar Secret Service is such a slog.
The Gumby short is a good one. I don't recall the movie it's with, though.

Edit - - appears to have been with The Screaming Scull, which is a fun one.
Last edited by Andrew on 09 Sep 2019, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Sep 2019, 19:52

What was Mr. B Natural paired up with?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Sep 2019, 21:52

Warren wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 19:52
What was Mr. B Natural paired up with?
I just looked it up, because I thought of Mr. B Natural as well as a great introduction. It was with War of the Colossal Beast.