In the Not Too Distant Future...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: In the Not Too Distant Future...

Post by Warren » 22 Mar 2017, 20:00

Andrew wrote:Not entirely on topic, but when Stevo was able to post here, I always read his stuff in Tom Servo's voice.
It was even better in Gypsy's
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Mar 2017, 11:41

The Girl in Lovers Lane is one of my favorite episodes, if for no other reason than Servo's opening credits song

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 23 Mar 2017, 11:50

Which reminds of 2 favorite singing parts: one, the end credits of Werewolf, which don't appear to be on YouTube, perhaps for copyright reasons. The number of songs they manage to sing over the beat is impressive, but it's the random shouts of "Tusk!" that makes me lose it.

Two, the closing song from Final Justice (lots of food related Joe Don Baker mockery):

We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 23 Mar 2017, 13:53

This thread is reminding me of a lot of great old episodes. Anybody remember Monster-A-Go-Go, Earth vs. The Spider, Robot Monster, the Brain/Head That Wouldn't Die, or The Killer Shrews?

Also: what's your least favorite episode? For me it might have to be Red Zone Cuba. Not even MST3K could make that movie enjoyable. I see that (perhaps not surprisingly) Kevin Murphy listed it as his most hated film of the entire show.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Mar 2017, 15:23

Yeah Red Zone Cuba was bad. Just super dull. The Starfighters was positively somnolent since it was basically an ad for a fighter plane and I guess they decided that the best way to sell their badass fighter jet was to have 20 minute refueling scenes.

I actually have one that I didn't like that is a little odd. One of the movies they did was Parts: The Clonus Horror. This was the movie Michael Bay notoriously got sued over for too many similarities with his movie The Island.

The thing is Parts is not really a bad movie. It's low budget for sure but the premise was fairly well done and I found myself interested in where it was going. So much so I found myself a little irritated by the commentary. I actualy wanted to watch the movie.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Mar 2017, 15:51

There are a couple good parts of Starfighters, all connected to the poopie suit.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 23 Mar 2017, 16:46

Red Zone Cuba is awful (although it does have a riff I remember: "Now back to In Cold Blood, the Series!"). Hamlet is bad. Most of the season 1-2 episodes are too slow for my liking, but that was just due to being new at it and I know they could be improved with more jokes.

I enjoyed Clonus. Some of the dialog is so, so bad.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Mar 2017, 19:03

Huh, it looks like they've got a few episodes I haven't seen on the YouTube page. Or, at least, ones I don't remember. Between SFC's weird rerun scheduling and whatnot, I'm really not sure how much of the series I've seen (aside from pretty much every episode of the last few seasons).
Painboy wrote:Yeah Red Zone Cuba was bad. Just super dull.
Oh, yeah. I've seen Red Zone Cuba on shortlists for Worst Movie Ever, and it's richly deserved. The riffing (and cutting out a gratuitous rape scene) only keeps so much of the awfulness at bay...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Mar 2017, 19:35

Eric the .5b wrote:Huh, it looks like they've got a few episodes I haven't seen on the YouTube page. Or, at least, ones I don't remember. Between SFC's weird rerun scheduling and whatnot, I'm really not sure how much of the series I've seen (aside from pretty much every episode of the last few seasons).
Oh, yeah. I've seen Red Zone Cuba on shortlists for Worst Movie Ever, and it's richly deserved. The riffing (and cutting out a gratuitous rape scene) only keeps so much of the awfulness at bay...
It's funny I hadn't been able to make it to even halfway on that one when I stumbled on the synopsis of the movie. Apparently at some point they go off to be mercenaries in Cuba or something of that nature. Which confused me because I thought the movie was about hobos riding the rails as that's the first half of the movie (or it seemed that way anyway). I had puzzled over the title of the movie up to that point.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Mar 2017, 20:35

Painboy wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Huh, it looks like they've got a few episodes I haven't seen on the YouTube page. Or, at least, ones I don't remember. Between SFC's weird rerun scheduling and whatnot, I'm really not sure how much of the series I've seen (aside from pretty much every episode of the last few seasons).
It's funny I hadn't been able to make it to even halfway on that one when I stumbled on the synopsis of the movie. Apparently at some point they go off to be mercenaries in Cuba or something of that nature. Which confused me because I thought the movie was about hobos riding the rails as that's the first half of the movie (or it seemed that way anyway). I had puzzled over the title of the movie up to that point.
Well, first it's hobos who run into an escaped con who's more-or-less the protagonist. Then some other shit happens, including going to Cuba and coming back while apparently never leaving the Californian desert.

It's ultimately about men too malicious and stupid to live.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Mar 2017, 10:49

Night traaaaaiiin
to Mundo Fiiiineeeeee
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JD

Post by JD » 24 Mar 2017, 11:00

Eric the .5b wrote:Well, first it's hobos who run into an escaped con who's more-or-less the protagonist. Then some other shit happens, including going to Cuba and coming back while apparently never leaving the Californian desert.

Worse than that, it's incoherent, confusing, ugly, and boring. As you point out, one of the things that makes it really confusing is that the Midwest, Cuba, and California all look exactly the same (probably because they were all filmed in exactly the same place anyway).
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Mar 2017, 14:50

I'm Cherokee Jack

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Mar 2017, 20:14

JD wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Well, first it's hobos who run into an escaped con who's more-or-less the protagonist. Then some other shit happens, including going to Cuba and coming back while apparently never leaving the Californian desert.

Worse than that, it's incoherent, confusing, ugly, and boring. As you point out, one of the things that makes it really confusing is that the Midwest, Cuba, and California all look exactly the same (probably because they were all filmed in exactly the same place anyway).
Worst of all, it's just badly done. The acting is lousy, and while the film seems to delight in the awfulness of the characters, it can't manage to sell that. The only vile act that has any oomph is when they grab the old man and carry him off to throw down a well—and that's mostly because you stop and go, "How did they know where the well was? They went right around and up that hill to it, they didn't roam around..."

Ed Wood would have made a more entertaining movie based on the premise.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Mar 2017, 08:24

The new episodes coming in April will hopefully be worthwhile. It'll be weird with new bot voices, though.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Apr 2017, 02:28

Just finished Reptilicus, and I'm okay with the new everything. Not the strongest episode ever, but they got some good riffs in, and the kaiju rap was pretty impressive. The biggest problem so far is that it's hard to tell who's talking because they all sorta sound the same.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Apr 2017, 03:21

Hugh Akston wrote:Just finished Reptilicus, and I'm okay with the new everything. Not the strongest episode ever, but they got some good riffs in, and the kaiju rap was pretty impressive. The biggest problem so far is that it's hard to tell who's talking because they all sorta sound the same.
This was one of my issues as well. And not only do they sound the same they tended say everything at the same beat.

I don't know if they were nervous or something but their line deliveries generally felt rushed. Like they were just speaking the lines as fast as they could. Each riff not so much delivered as hurled at the screen. They need to settle down. A lot of the best stuff in MS3TK was the conversational way they often spoke.

The songs, which I never really cared for in the original, were surprisingly good and inventive. They seem to have some talent there.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Apr 2017, 04:23

Painboy wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Just finished Reptilicus, and I'm okay with the new everything. Not the strongest episode ever, but they got some good riffs in, and the kaiju rap was pretty impressive. The biggest problem so far is that it's hard to tell who's talking because they all sorta sound the same.
This was one of my issues as well. And not only do they sound the same they tended say everything at the same beat.

I don't know if they were nervous or something but their line deliveries generally felt rushed. Like they were just speaking the lines as fast as they could. Each riff not so much delivered as hurled at the screen. They need to settle down. A lot of the best stuff in MS3TK was the conversational way they often spoke.

The songs, which I never really cared for in the original, were surprisingly good and inventive. They seem to have some talent there.
Agreed, the pacing could definitely use some work.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 16 Apr 2017, 12:56

I noticed later in the episode they started using more accents to deliver lines, and it got easier to tell them apart. But when they're in their normal voice, it's three Generic White Guys™.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Apr 2017, 13:50

Sandy wrote:I noticed later in the episode they started using more accents to deliver lines, and it got easier to tell them apart. But when they're in their normal voice, it's three Generic White Guys™.
Which is interesting, because this is the guy who does Servo's voice.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Apr 2017, 14:43

Hugh Akston wrote:
Sandy wrote:I noticed later in the episode they started using more accents to deliver lines, and it got easier to tell them apart. But when they're in their normal voice, it's three Generic White Guys™.
Seems like he's missing a surname.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 16 Apr 2017, 16:03

Hugh Akston wrote:
He's culturally appropriating our voices.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Apr 2017, 16:43

JD wrote:This thread is reminding me of a lot of great old episodes. Anybody remember Monster-A-Go-Go, Earth vs. The Spider, Robot Monster, the Brain/Head That Wouldn't Die, or The Killer Shrews?

Also: what's your least favorite episode? For me it might have to be Red Zone Cuba. Not even MST3K could make that movie enjoyable. I see that (perhaps not surprisingly) Kevin Murphy listed it as his most hated film of the entire show.
I only saw Killer Shrews once, back when MST3K was still new, but the ad jingle/theme song for that fake board game they invented about it earworms through my head to this day. A couple years ago, when I was in the kitchen trying out a complicated new recipe, I started singing it under my breath: "Killer shrews, killer shrews, K-I-double-L-E-R shrews," which inspired a WTF look from Jeff until I explained where it came from.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 16 Apr 2017, 16:57

Jennifer wrote:
JD wrote:This thread is reminding me of a lot of great old episodes. Anybody remember Monster-A-Go-Go, Earth vs. The Spider, Robot Monster, the Brain/Head That Wouldn't Die, or The Killer Shrews?

I only saw Killer Shrews once, back when MST3K was still new, but the ad jingle/theme song for that fake board game they invented about it earworms through my head to this day. A couple years ago, when I was in the kitchen trying out a complicated new recipe, I started singing it under my breath: "Killer shrews, killer shrews, K-I-double-L-E-R shrews," which inspired a WTF look from Jeff until I explained where it came from.
I can still sing a disturbing amount of the Joey the Lemur song. I also loved Hugh Beaumont as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Apr 2017, 19:06

Sandy wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I can still sing a disturbing amount of the Joey the Lemur song. I also loved Hugh Beaumont as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Same here for me with the Patrick Swayze Christmas.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex