In the Not Too Distant Future...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Andrew » 19 Mar 2017, 21:22

20 episodes of MST3K got added to Netflix. It's a random assortment of episodes that are mostly a best-of. Manos, Pod People, Laserblast, Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, etc.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Mar 2017, 21:52

I Accuse My Parents is probably my all time favorite.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 Mar 2017, 23:05

Sandy wrote:I Accuse My Parents is probably my all time favorite.
I need to watch that one. I watched Pod People yesterday because I recall that one being good, but the last half-hour was a real slog.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 Mar 2017, 15:28

Andrew wrote:
I need to watch that one. I watched Pod People yesterday because I recall that one being good, but the last half-hour was a real slog.
Yeah that one starts great but it does just kind of peter out. Of course I rarely anymore watch them to the end anymore as I have seen them all and I'll often just bounce around to the parts I like.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Mar 2017, 13:07

Painboy wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Yeah that one starts great but it does just kind of peter out. Of course I rarely anymore watch them to the end anymore as I have seen them all and I'll often just bounce around to the parts I like.
I'm watching them with someone who has only seen a dozen or so, which is why we watched it all. Otherwise I probably would've given up and not held out hope it got better.

The Horrors of Spider Island, on the other hand, was pretty solid all the way through. The movie had just the right amount of baffling craziness to be fun to watch and the jokes kept flowing.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 22 Mar 2017, 13:19

Andrew wrote:
Painboy wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I'm watching them with someone who has only seen a dozen or so, which is why we watched it all. Otherwise I probably would've given up and not held out hope it got better.

The Horrors of Spider Island, on the other hand, was pretty solid all the way through. The movie had just the right amount of baffling craziness to be fun to watch and the jokes kept flowing.
My quick ranking of the ones available. As always everyone has their own likes and dislikes so any kind of consensus ranking can be difficult given what people find funny or not.

Space Mutiny
Puma Man
Werewolf
Merlin’s Shop Of Mystical Wonders
Future War
Manos: The Hands Of Fate
Jack Frost
Laserblast
Time Chasers
Zombie Nightmare
Pod People
I Accuse My Parents
Horrors Of Spider Island
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
Hercules Against The Moon Men
Teenagers From Outer Space
The Giant Gila Monster
Eegah!
Catalina Caper
Sidehackers

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Mar 2017, 13:28

The Starfighters and The Brute Man (on Hulu) are great.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Hugh Akston

In the Not Too Distant Future...

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Mar 2017, 13:41

A thread for discussing MST3K (and Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic), old and new. Post your favorite episodes, clips, and riffs here. And before the inevitable arguments ensue, repeat to yourself "it's just a show, I should really just relax."
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Re: In the Not Too Distant Future...

Post by Warren » 22 Mar 2017, 13:44

Joel or GTFO
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 22 Mar 2017, 13:48

Warren wrote:Joel or GTFO
I like Mike.

Or Joike.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Mar 2017, 14:01

Gotta be Manos.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Mar 2017, 14:13

I love Manos the Hands of Fate for giving us Torgo, but man it's hard to call that the best episode in a world where Mitchell exists.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Mar 2017, 14:34

Final Sacrifice is probably my favorite. Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, and Laserblast are all contenders.

JD

Post by JD » 22 Mar 2017, 14:47

I'm a Mike fan myself - I just liked the dynamic between Mike and the bots better. Episodes that particularly stick in my mind are Attack of the the Eye Creatures, War of the Colossal Beast, and Outlaw.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 22 Mar 2017, 15:59

Mike is more aggressive then Joel who likes to "play" with the movie a little more. I used to like Mike far more than Joel but I've warmed up to Joel over the years. He's endearing in a goofy way. Mike can also get a little mean with his riffs at times. I still like Mike more though. Of course of all the voices Kevin Murphy (Servo) is my favorite. From what I've read he doesn't actually like watching bad movies that much and the exasperation you can hear in his voice is often very real.

My favs:
Space Mutiny - One of those bad movies that manages to be bad in every way possible. Doesn't even need riffs really it's so bad but the ones they do are great.

Prince of Space - Easily one of my favorites. I'm surprised more don't list this higher. One of the problems with bad movies is often they are also dull and boring. This is anything but. It has that unique Japanese energy to it that keeps things moving. I'm also sure that the English dubbing didn't have a translation and just made their lines up as they went. Also features Mike et al. saying karaoke in a really odd way.

Pumaman - Hilarious hero "flying." Donald Pleasence dressed like he's in a New Wave band. A sidekick far more capable and courageous than the hero.

Escape 2000 - Another wonderfully bad movie of a kind only Italians seem to be able to make. Especially when it's some good paleo-future stuff. The leader character's name is Trash, who possesses all the charisma and talent of the backup bass player for Whitesnake.

Fire Maidens of Outer Space - Can't recommend the entire thing, there is large amounts of padding, but the first 45 minutes are hilarious. From the spaceship that is controlled entirely with two levers that only move on one axis, to the crew, after landing, immediately grabbing their cigarettes and lighting up.

The Giant Spider Invasion - Possibly the least engaging cast ever put on film. The cinematography and effects are hilariously bad.

Warrior of the Lost World - Italian post-apocalyptic movie? 'Nuff said.

12 to the Moon - This has all kinds of good riffs but I also love the character composition in it. It's like someone in the 50's taking a stab at multiculturalism and failing badly.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Mar 2017, 16:24

Forgot about Prince of Space

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Mar 2017, 16:29

Am I the only one who doesn't really care for the Japanese movies? Like Godzilla vs Megalon was good and the rest are all kind of a blur of giant whirling space turtles.

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Mar 2017, 16:48

Space Mutiny is probably the best and I have a soft spot for Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Mar 2017, 17:42

Space Mutiny is awfully good.
Prince of Space is right up there.

I have love in my heart for King Dinosaur, but that may be because it was my first. I also dig Hercules vs the Moon Men. Sand Storm!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Mar 2017, 17:42

Painboy wrote:The Giant Spider Invasion - Possibly the least engaging cast ever put on film. The cinematography and effects are hilariously bad.
This one and Touch of Satan both have a really dirty, greasy 70s feel that I enjoy. I can't remember whether it's Touch of Satan or Manos that has the joke "every frame of this movie looks like it's someone's last known photograph," but that line really nails the feeling that makes Touch and Spider so good.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 22 Mar 2017, 17:48

Andrew wrote:
Painboy wrote:The Giant Spider Invasion - Possibly the least engaging cast ever put on film. The cinematography and effects are hilariously bad.
This one and Touch of Satan both have a really dirty, greasy 70s feel that I enjoy. I can't remember whether it's Touch of Satan or Manos that has the joke "every frame of this movie looks like it's someone's last known photograph," but that line really nails the feeling that makes Touch and Spider so good.
That was Manos. Good line.

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Mar 2017, 18:02

I like a lot of the Gamera movies that they did, and the Mr B Natural short was really entertaining (in the same episode as War of the Colossal Beast). I also liked City Limits because of Crow's Kim Cattrall song, although it got really hacked to pieces from what I've heard.

I think Joel was good, but tended to like Mike better. The Invention Exchange was good for a while, but they seemed to completely run out of ideas.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Mar 2017, 18:12

Highway wrote:I like a lot of the Gamera movies that they did, and the Mr B Natural short was really entertaining (in the same episode as War of the Colossal Beast). I also liked City Limits because of Crow's Kim Cattrall song, although it got really hacked to pieces from what I've heard.

I think Joel was good, but tended to like Mike better. The Invention Exchange was good for a while, but they seemed to completely run out of ideas.
The invention exchange was mostly Joel's thing because he cut his teeth as a prop comic, while Mike had a background in...serving at TGI Fridays.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Mar 2017, 18:13

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Mar 2017, 18:19

Not entirely on topic, but when Stevo was able to post here, I always read his stuff in Tom Servo's voice.