Islands in the Stream

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17281
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Islands in the Stream

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Mar 2017, 14:36

A thread for music discovery and streaming services.

What are y'alls experiences with Spotify vs Pandora? I have been using Pandora for probably seven years now and it is still my primary source for new music. I gave Spotify a shot last year, but found it really wasn't very good at recommending new songs based on the stuff I already liked, which is weird because it has a complete record of my iTunes library, which Pandora doesn't. But I sort of get the impression from people who use and love Spotify that music discovery isn't really its primary function.

Also, flush the inevitable earworm here.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by nicole » 14 Mar 2017, 15:01

I've been using Pandora for 12-13 years and love it. I have and do use it for music discovery, though primarily for classical music discovery. I'm even thinking about subscribing to the pay service they're launching this week.

Spotify blows. It always seems like people were like, what if we remade Pandora but without the music genome project and with other people's bad taste instead? Which why would you want to do that. I also have problems signing in on my mobile app almost every time I try to use it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13000
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Highway » 14 Mar 2017, 15:09

I could never stick with Pandora. I want to listen to a particular song. Not be told "We can't play THAT song but we can play you other songs like it." And then I had a huge problem with all of my stations ending up exactly the same. And the granularity of it was poor at the time, with just "Do you like or not like this." Not "Do you like this band but not this song?" or "Do you like this style but not this song?" etc. So it forced you to listen to things that you don't want to spend your time listening to to make sure you don't forestall the chance to listen to things you actually do want to listen to. Too much work.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22755
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by JasonL » 14 Mar 2017, 15:23

I don't like music streaming services really. I like Sirius channels to have stuff I might like by category served to me, then I buy what I like. Sometimes do sideways searches on iTunes or amazon for "people also liked" kind of exploration.

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10438
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by JD » 14 Mar 2017, 16:37

I like both Pandora and Spotify, for different reasons. Pandora is great for "radio stations", but obviously doesn't let you look up individual tracks. Spotify is great for specificity, but their "radio" is pretty bad.

Dogs' years ago, I used to listen to Live365, which was really good for actual human-curated genre stations. I'm a little surprised to see that they're still around.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16166
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Mar 2017, 16:57

90% of the new music I've been listening to in the past 5 years have been Pandora-inspired.

Re: Rogers/Parton

Image
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1546
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Kwix » 14 Mar 2017, 19:48

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12529
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Mar 2017, 20:49

I use the awkwardly- but intuitively-named Google Play Music a lot. It offers me channels, albums and artists based on stuff I've liked. And it's very much whatever you want to listen to. I think of a song I want to listen to, I search for it, I listen to it. I hear of a band, and I can pull up and play their most popular songs.

(The subscription also exempts me from YouTube ads, which I very much like.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18021
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by dbcooper » 14 Mar 2017, 20:58

Youtube seems to be the only service that has obscure yachtrock and AOR tracks.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12529
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Mar 2017, 21:49

dbcooper wrote:Youtube seems to be the only service that has obscure yachtrock and AOR tracks.
Ah, but if Google Play Music doesn't have the song and YouTube does, it'll play YouTube videos. :D
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18021
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by dbcooper » 14 Mar 2017, 21:58

Eric the .5b wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Youtube seems to be the only service that has obscure yachtrock and AOR tracks.
Ah, but if Google Play Music doesn't have the song and YouTube does, it'll play YouTube videos. :D
Aha! I might have to give google music a try then.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17281
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Mar 2017, 02:57

Pandora's lack of on-demand doesn't really bother me because that's not what it's for. If I want to listen to a specific song it's usually available on YouTube. If I want to listen to it enough times then I just go and buy it for my own library.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by nicole » 15 Mar 2017, 08:03

Hugh Akston wrote:Pandora's lack of on-demand doesn't really bother me because that's not what it's for. If I want to listen to a specific song it's usually available on YouTube. If I want to listen to it enough times then I just go and buy it for my own library.
Yeah, I'm the same. I use streaming to replace radio, not my music library.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15471
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by dhex » 15 Mar 2017, 08:20

spotify and youtube. and bandcamp embeds when appropes. and like everyone else i buy the stuff i want to buy (usually via bandcamp/as direct from the artist as possible)

pandora's suggestion algorithms were dogshit when i last tried them and i don't have the patience to do that. john peel is dead and we can't replace him with software.

however, i don't use that shit with spotify either. i already read music press stuff about the stuff i'm interested in, so between that and friends i don't need any discover weekly cuntiness. fuck your weekly discovery. i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks.

uh anyway spotify ads are the best-worst. right now the tilted kilt is dropping boucoup on trying to make me burn down their restaurants. if you are not familiar with it, it's a scottish themed breastaurant with amazingly shitty ads. because when i think of scotland, i think of gratuitous tits and something called "irish chip dip".

i admire spotify's own premium service ads if only because (at least until recently) they were trying to gleam the cube on the line between not horrible enough to get people to pay for premium and too horrible to justify using spotify at all. a few were actually perfectly shitty in all the right ways. (i will never pay ten bucks a month for premium however)

anyway i queue up an artist most of the time in the am and listen to their discog while i work. whole albums are generally the jam. sometimes i'll use the artist radio feature but for the most part it's just about okish.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 2871
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Number 6 » 15 Mar 2017, 09:22

Eric the .5b wrote:I use the awkwardly- but intuitively-named Google Play Music a lot. It offers me channels, albums and artists based on stuff I've liked. And it's very much whatever you want to listen to. I think of a song I want to listen to, I search for it, I listen to it. I hear of a band, and I can pull up and play their most popular songs.

(The subscription also exempts me from YouTube ads, which I very much like.)
I used them for years, but I've nearly given up on that service. It's glitchy as hell. Songs will be listed, but not play until I select an earlier track in an album and then skip ahead. Often, the music will be loud and bass heavy, with the vocals buried in the mix. It crashes randomly.
Note that all of this is based on using the phone app. Pandora works fairly well for me, though it suffers from some of the limits mentioned above. It's etter than commercial radio, though. Of course, so is a peephole enema with drano.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3753
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Painboy » 15 Mar 2017, 10:53

Pandora - Generally best for discovery. You have to put some time in it though to get the stations playing what you want. You also have to be willing to prune your stations of stuff you like if you are trying to keep it genre "pure." Otherwise you might end up with your thrash metal station playing a bunch of industrial and trance music that your likes drifted into. Not that that's necessarily bad depending on how you like to listen to stuff. I would highly recommend the pay version as it removes a lot of the headaches.

Bandcamp - It's like walking through an old music store where everything is in large ambiguous sections like "Rock" and your decision to listen to something is based almost entirely off the album art and the name of the band. It takes a much more active approach to find what you like but I've found some really good stuff that Pandora never suggested to me. I can also listen to tracks over and over for a time unlike Pandora.

Spotify - Think I used it once but it wasn't intuitive and I just went back to Pandora.

Youtube - Like others have said I used this primarily if I'm just looking to listen to a specific track. Okay for some discoverability as there are often similar styles of music in the suggested fields.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12529
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Mar 2017, 12:08

Number 6 wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I use the awkwardly- but intuitively-named Google Play Music a lot. It offers me channels, albums and artists based on stuff I've liked. And it's very much whatever you want to listen to. I think of a song I want to listen to, I search for it, I listen to it. I hear of a band, and I can pull up and play their most popular songs.

(The subscription also exempts me from YouTube ads, which I very much like.)
I used them for years, but I've nearly given up on that service. It's glitchy as hell. Songs will be listed, but not play until I select an earlier track in an album and then skip ahead. Often, the music will be loud and bass heavy, with the vocals buried in the mix. It crashes randomly.
Note that all of this is based on using the phone app. Pandora works fairly well for me, though it suffers from some of the limits mentioned above. It's etter than commercial radio, though. Of course, so is a peephole enema with drano.
Haven't used the phone app in a awhile (due to a loose wire I need to get fixed), but it worked well for me at the time.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2916
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Jasper » 15 Mar 2017, 13:21

nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Pandora's lack of on-demand doesn't really bother me because that's not what it's for. If I want to listen to a specific song it's usually available on YouTube. If I want to listen to it enough times then I just go and buy it for my own library.
Yeah, I'm the same. I use streaming to replace radio, not my music library.
Tritto (after ditto) for me. I find Pandora perfectly cromulent.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18021
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by dbcooper » 15 Mar 2017, 16:14

dhex wrote:spotify and youtube. and bandcamp embeds when appropes. and like everyone else i buy the stuff i want to buy (usually via bandcamp/as direct from the artist as possible)

pandora's suggestion algorithms were dogshit when i last tried them and i don't have the patience to do that. john peel is dead and we can't replace him with software.

however, i don't use that shit with spotify either. i already read music press stuff about the stuff i'm interested in, so between that and friends i don't need any discover weekly cuntiness. fuck your weekly discovery. i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks.

uh anyway spotify ads are the best-worst. right now the tilted kilt is dropping boucoup on trying to make me burn down their restaurants. if you are not familiar with it, it's a scottish themed breastaurant with amazingly shitty ads. because when i think of scotland, i think of gratuitous tits and something called "irish chip dip".

i admire spotify's own premium service ads if only because (at least until recently) they were trying to gleam the cube on the line between not horrible enough to get people to pay for premium and too horrible to justify using spotify at all. a few were actually perfectly shitty in all the right ways. (i will never pay ten bucks a month for premium however)

anyway i queue up an artist most of the time in the am and listen to their discog while i work. whole albums are generally the jam. sometimes i'll use the artist radio feature but for the most part it's just about okish.
Three addresses in your HOSTS file will kill all Spotify ads.

Youtube seems to have by far the best suggestion algorithm. I've found lots of music from it. Even some nice Italo tunes.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17281
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Mar 2017, 22:11

TIL there's no Pandora app for the PS3, but there is one for my LG TV.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by nicole » 20 Mar 2017, 08:18

Oh shit.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15471
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by dhex » 22 Mar 2017, 10:29

i learn a lot about america with spotify ads. for example:

1) there's a sports themed haircut place called "sports clips". it's kinda vaguely salacious. "come watch the game while women groom you".

2) subway has been running the audio version of this ad really hard



hahahahahahahah it's like my childhood but no one's commenting on my weight.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by nicole » 22 Mar 2017, 10:39

I'm about 99% sure I heard both those ads on Pandora recently as well.

Poor to nonexistent targeting I guess. Although I don't know, some publishers seem to think I'm a guy. I've gotten explicitly dad-targeted ads on Twitter.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17281
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Mar 2017, 11:03

I've been to one of those sport clips-like places and I can confirm that it is hella creepy. Like getting your hair cut at Hooters.

Also, am I the only one who pays for a Pandora subscription? $4 a month seems like a small price to pay for not having my flow interrupted by ads for incontinence underwear.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13000
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Islands in the Stream

Post by Highway » 22 Mar 2017, 11:11

Hugh Akston wrote:I've been to one of those sport clips-like places and I can confirm that it is hella creepy. Like getting your hair cut at Hooters.

Also, am I the only one who pays for a Pandora subscription? $4 a month seems like a small price to pay for not having my flow interrupted by ads for incontinence underwear.
I've gone to Sport Clips a few times here, and it's a lot more about what the competition is like whether I end up going there. Hair Cuttery is uniformly terrible, and Great Clips here is full of weirdos. The Sport Clips here is not nearly as Hooters-y as all that (probably something to do with the available pool of workers). Last haircut I got was at the new Floyds 99 Barbershop, which was a lot louder, but not bad. Seemed like they had a much better run operation.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest