I wanna see that!!!!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: I wanna see that!!!!

Post by Highway » 05 Dec 2018, 14:09

JasonL's gonna start watching Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime any minute now...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Dec 2018, 14:13

Highway wrote:JasonL's gonna start watching Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime any minute now...
Kawaii voice makes me want to die.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Dec 2018, 14:21

I might just be way too sleep deprived for sanity, but now I'm imagining a "cute girls doing cute things" anime where they all have voices like Harvey Fierstein and 80-year-old smokers :lol:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Dec 2018, 19:09

JasonL wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 14:13
Highway wrote:JasonL's gonna start watching Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime any minute now...
I have the same reaction; go for dubbed versions, then.

(I keep meaning to get around to Girls und Panzer or Azumanga Daioh, but it takes me forever to get around to watching anything.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Dec 2018, 19:39

Weird thing about origin stories: for years, the most well-known superhero TV show, the 1966 Batman series, didn't really bother with any origin for Batman or Robin. "These guys fight weird crime in funny costumes. Go!" The closest was one episode where Bruce Wayne says he's set up a crime victim assistance foundation because of how he lost his parents.

Myself, I don't mind coverage of an origin, because it goes to characterization. And movies, as opposed to series, kinda demand them, because, outside of comedies, they're a big part of establishing how things work and why these people dress up in funny costumes and do these crazy things. (A series has the time to fill you in on expectations.) The Hellboy movies come the closest to "here are these people already doing their things", and even they include character origin scenes.
Warren wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 13:43
CGI spectacles need a story to match the visuals. I'm still on the superhero bus, just not getting off at ever stop.
Emphasis added.

This is the thing to me. As an admitted geek, there used to be an expectation among geeks that of course you'd go and watch every superhero show/movie that came out, almost entirely regardless of quality, because you were getting what little you'd ever get. But in the day and age that this stuff makes money and gets serious big-budget treatment as a matter of course, that's silly. Just watch what appeals to you.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 05 Dec 2018, 20:05

Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 19:39
Weird thing about origin stories: for years, the most well-known superhero TV show, the 1966 Batman series, didn't really bother with any origin for Batman or Robin. "These guys fight weird crime in funny costumes. Go!" The closest was one episode where Bruce Wayne says he's set up a crime victim assistance foundation because of how he lost his parents.

Myself, I don't mind coverage of an origin, because it goes to characterization. And movies, as opposed to series, kinda demand them, because, outside of comedies, they're a big part of establishing how things work and why these people dress up in funny costumes and do these crazy things. (A series has the time to fill you in on expectations.) The Hellboy movies come the closest to "here are these people already doing their things", and even they include character origin scenes.
Warren wrote:
CGI spectacles need a story to match the visuals. I'm still on the superhero bus, just not getting off at ever stop.
Emphasis added.

This is the thing to me. As an admitted geek, there used to be an expectation among geeks that of course you'd go and watch every superhero show/movie that came out, almost entirely regardless of quality, because you were getting what little you'd ever get. But in the day and age that this stuff makes money and gets serious big-budget treatment as a matter of course, that's silly. Just watch what appeals to you.
I have wondered if superhero movies and TV are just a new form of comics themselves (or maybe graphic novels is more accurate). Like comics, styles and themes might change, some will be good others bad, interests will wax and wane, some one will push too much and go bankrupt, but there will still be superhero movies being made just as they still make comics.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 05 Dec 2018, 20:18

JasonL wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 13:31
I definitely have a visual entertainment problem these days. I'm tired of zombies, vampires, serial killers (above all serial killers), superheroes, Massive CGI Spectacles. Broader categories are "Things that won't die even though they've been repetitive for 3 seasons / sequels".

I'm not tired of but seem to never feel like watching "serious oscar bait" and "the never ending suffering of so and so". I don't enjoy the prospect of being bummed out for a few days by a well made story of woe. Maybe I just don't like visual media very much anymore. I do kind of think that the BBC model of short serials is the way to do things. Long enough to tell a story but they end in a reasonable period.
I saw someone refer to Netflix series in general as 11 seasons of edging.

I cosign all the things you're tired of, which would explain my viewing for the last year.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Dec 2018, 22:43

Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 19:09
JasonL wrote:
I have the same reaction; go for dubbed versions, then.

(I keep meaning to get around to Girls und Panzer or Azumanga Daioh, but it takes me forever to get around to watching anything.)
Girls und Panzer is, no lie, my second favorite thing to watch ever. Only beaten out by Sound! Euphonium. I'd recommend the two of them for anyone, even if they don't ever watch anime.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Dec 2018, 23:56

It's been 15 years since I watched Azumanga Daioh but I remember that I loved it!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Dec 2018, 00:14

Andrew wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 20:18
JasonL wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 13:31
I definitely have a visual entertainment problem these days. I'm tired of zombies, vampires, serial killers (above all serial killers), superheroes, Massive CGI Spectacles. Broader categories are "Things that won't die even though they've been repetitive for 3 seasons / sequels".

I'm not tired of but seem to never feel like watching "serious oscar bait" and "the never ending suffering of so and so". I don't enjoy the prospect of being bummed out for a few days by a well made story of woe. Maybe I just don't like visual media very much anymore. I do kind of think that the BBC model of short serials is the way to do things. Long enough to tell a story but they end in a reasonable period.
I saw someone refer to Netflix series in general as 11 seasons of edging.

I cosign all the things you're tired of, which would explain my viewing for the last year.
+1
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Dec 2018, 00:25

Painboy wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 20:05
Eric the .5b wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 19:39

Warren wrote:
Emphasis added.

I have wondered if superhero movies and TV are just a new form of comics themselves (or maybe graphic novels is more accurate). Like comics, styles and themes might change, some will be good others bad, interests will wax and wane, some one will push too much and go bankrupt, but there will still be superhero movies being made just as they still make comics.
I think the superhero genre is a strong one that's managed to stick around for a long time. It's flexible and adaptable to new times, and with a little sleight-of-hand, you can sell superhero stories as something else entirely.

But yeah, we've had superheroes in film since the 30s. It just took until Superman to start getting the effects good enough so that a little super-heroic action doesn't look silly. It will go in and out of fashion, but the fundamental conceit of a superhero story—people with unusual capabilities dealing with unusual crises—is a natural for Hollywood. It'll be around long after the current crop of movies is old and dated-looking.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Dec 2018, 08:01

In the heyday of Westerns there was like a new Western like every other week.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Dec 2018, 08:40

We've had superhero stories since the Illiad and Gilgamesh.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Dec 2018, 09:32

Mo wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 08:01
That's just the movies. In it's heyday there were three Westerns every night of the week on TV.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Dec 2018, 09:43

Warren wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 09:32
Mo wrote:
That's just the movies. In it's heyday there were three Westerns every night of the week on TV.
Which, as a proportion of all TV on the air, was like 10% of broadcast entertainment.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Dec 2018, 09:45

Mo wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 09:43
Warren wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 09:32
Mo wrote:
Which, as a proportion of all TV on the air, was like 10% of broadcast entertainment.
Much higher if you weight it by viewers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 06 Dec 2018, 11:45

JasonL wrote:
I want your review of devilman crybaby.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Dec 2018, 12:17

dhex wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 11:45
JasonL wrote:
I want your review of devilman crybaby.
*snorts*