I wanna see that!!!!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: I wanna see that!!!!

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Oct 2018, 18:27

No idea what this is supposed to be about, but I dig the vibe.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Oct 2018, 18:56

Has a True Detective S1 smell

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Oct 2018, 14:40

JasonL wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 18:56
Has a True Detective S1 smell
This comment got me to watch the trailer. I'll put this movie as a maybe. The TD S1 smell is faint. There might be something interesting, or it just might be a b-grade revenge movie.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Oct 2018, 02:22

I have never seen True Detective, but I got a Drive vibe from the trailer, which is to say pulp structure but stylish AF.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Dec 2018, 23:14

Looks pretty good, even if I find myself thinking (not for the first time in the last decade or so) if Marvel is still trying too hard to make this character happen.

On the other hand, if anyone can actually make Carol Danvers sympathetic and heroic, it'd be Marvel Studios.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Dec 2018, 11:23

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 23:14

Looks pretty good, even if I find myself thinking (not for the first time in the last decade or so) if Marvel is still trying too hard to make this character happen.

On the other hand, if anyone can actually make Carol Danvers sympathetic and heroic, it'd be Marvel Studios.
Yeah it does look like the character has been through several committees, but most of the other Marvel movies have been as well and I've enjoyed them for the most part. The trick with this one is there isn't decades worth of stories to mine from in the same way as many of the other heroes. She might as well be a brand new character. I also wonder if superhero fatigue is going to finally start setting in at some point.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Dec 2018, 11:36

Painboy wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 11:23
I also wonder if superhero fatigue is going to finally start setting in at some point.
I don't plan on seeing every Marvel movie as they come out as I did a few years ago. I'll wait for the reviews and make a decision. And in most cases if I do decide I need to see it, I'm still waiting for blu-ray.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Dec 2018, 15:35

Painboy wrote:
The trick with this one is there isn't decades worth of stories to mine from in the same way as many of the other heroes. She might as well be a brand new character.
Carol Danvers has been a thing since 1968, a superhero since 1977, and Captain Marvel since they realized 'captain' is not a gendered term in 2012.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Dec 2018, 15:36

I’m well into fatigue. It started with maybe Civil War. Refreshed a bit with guardians and the last Thor but thanos and the glove was boring af.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 04 Dec 2018, 15:48

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 15:35
Painboy wrote:
The trick with this one is there isn't decades worth of stories to mine from in the same way as many of the other heroes. She might as well be a brand new character.
Carol Danvers has been a thing since 1968, a superhero since 1977, and Captain Marvel since they realized 'captain' is not a gendered term in 2012.
I was going to guess that she didn't originally get to be Captain Marvel because Monica Rambeau was already being Captain Marvel at the time, but apparently Monica Rambeau debuted five years after Carol Danvers was going by Ms Marvel. I guess you're probably right that they were thinking "she's like Captain Marvel, but she's a _girl_ so we can't call her that".

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Dec 2018, 16:08

Warren wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 11:36
Painboy wrote:
I also wonder if superhero fatigue is going to finally start setting in at some point.
I don't plan on seeing every Marvel movie as they come out as I did a few years ago. I'll wait for the reviews and make a decision. And in most cases if I do decide I need to see it, I'm still waiting for blu-ray.
JasonL wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 15:36
I’m well into fatigue. It started with maybe Civil War. Refreshed a bit with guardians and the last Thor but thanos and the glove was boring af.
I'm beginning to get the 'Do I really want to see this?' feeling. Started with DC and spreading to MCU. Pixar, Skywalkerverse and JKRowlingverse are feeling the same.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Dec 2018, 17:02

Aresen wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 16:08
Warren wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 11:36
Painboy wrote:
JasonL wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 15:36
I'm beginning to get the 'Do I really want to see this?' feeling. Started with DC and spreading to MCU. Pixar, Skywalkerverse and JKRowlingverse are feeling the same.
At least Rowlingverse isn't doing multiple spinoffs the way Skywalker, DC, and MCU have. There was one story line, and now there's a second story line, and they're widely separated so relatively little fanservice crossover. To my knowledge, there are only two characters who've appeared in both storylines so far, although I haven't seen the second movie yet, less due to ['verse]-fatigue than actual fatigue because I have been struggling to clear an insane workload for pretty much the last ten months so my filmgoing has been pretty thin all around.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Dec 2018, 17:03

Hugh Akston wrote:
Painboy wrote:
She/he has never been a major character and is mostly remarkable for the original dying and how many times they passed the name from one person to the next. There's no classic origin story or defining story series for him/her. Just some bits and pieces here and there shared with other more notable superheroes.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Dec 2018, 17:20

Painboy wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 17:03
Hugh Akston wrote:
Painboy wrote:
She/he has never been a major character and is mostly remarkable for the original dying and how many times they passed the name from one person to the next. There's no classic origin story or defining story series for him/her. Just some bits and pieces here and there shared with other more notable superheroes.
That's also mostly true of Captain America and Iron Man. Aside from their origins, the only historically major story for either of them is Demon in a Bottle, which has been wholly ignored in the MCU. Winter Solider and Extremis both happened in 2005, and Civil War happened in 2006, so they're not exactly plumbing the depths of history for any of this.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Dec 2018, 18:23

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 17:20
Painboy wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Painboy wrote:
That's also mostly true of Captain America and Iron Man. Aside from their origins, the only historically major story for either of them is Demon in a Bottle, which has been wholly ignored in the MCU. Winter Solider and Extremis both happened in 2005, and Civil War happened in 2006, so they're not exactly plumbing the depths of history for any of this.
Cap and Iron Man both had their own titles for years and were often major players in any team stuff. That shapes the characters over the years and can contribute to their character's breadth even in a newer story. Also an advantage of having a long catalog of content helps to show what doesn't work as well as what does. Captain Marvel's is tiny compared to that and has had much less exposure. The character they are portraying was basically made up in the last decade.

That doesn't mean it's not going to be good but it does mean people aren't going to be carried into the theaters with the warm glow of nostalgia other more well known characters have going for them. For example a lot of the laughs and emotional moments in Captain America were often riffs on things like his uniform or other past incarnations. Captain Marvel just isn't going to have that. Marvel's going in cold on this one and is really going to have to stick the landing for it to be successful.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Dec 2018, 19:25

Painboy wrote:
Basically.

It's mainly that she was in the USAF, she knew Mar-Vell, she bounced between having different powers and codenames, and she spent ages in a coma because Rogue snagged her powers for a decade or so. Oh, and that one creepy 1980 storyline where the writers removed her from Avengers (by having her give birth to a mind-controlling extradimensional god-thing who took her back to his dimension to marry him) that only gets brought up nowadays because of the sheer fuck-uppedness of that storyline.

Danvers was very much a footnote character, until they decided to add, "And Ms. Marvel is really popular" to the weird differences of an alternate-history setting (the House of M storyline). Then, they decided she deserved an A-list presence in the real setting. The biggest effect of that idea was the introduction of Kamala Khan as a fangirl of hers, hence Khan taking the "Ms. Marvel" name. (Of course, the difference there is that Kamala Khan is a character whose books people will actually read.)

The entirety of her characterization I've seen in recent stuff has been her being the reflexive-jack-booted thug in a few hero-vs-hero storylines.

So, the Marvel Studios writers have nowhere to go but up.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Dec 2018, 19:38

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 17:20
Painboy wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Painboy wrote:
Eh, insofar as they weren't the headlining Marvel characters in 2008 (because Marvel Studios didn't have the mutant licenses), that's true enough. But both characters had been major at different points in Marvel Comics' history, both could sustain books, and both had quite a few memorable stories to work with and lift from, particularly their origin stories. Not so much Danvers.

Still, it's not like this film got The Inhumans' writers. It seems promising.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Dec 2018, 19:58

Painboy wrote:
I've never understood that idea, at least in terms of viewer fatigue. In a big year, there are 3-4 major superhero movies. Meanwhile, there are metric fucktons of movies from a slew of other genres and sub-genres released in that same year.

In terms of this whole "cinematic universe" thing ballooning out of manageability, that's a concern. But they've been saying for ages that a lot of the early leads will retire, so maybe that will happen and Marvel will manage to refocus.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Dec 2018, 20:11

Eric the .5b wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 19:58
Painboy wrote:
I've never understood that idea, at least in terms of viewer fatigue. In a big year, there are 3-4 major superhero movies. Meanwhile, there are metric fucktons of movies from a slew of other genres and sub-genres released in that same year.

In terms of this whole "cinematic universe" thing ballooning out of manageability, that's a concern. But they've been saying for ages that a lot of the early leads will retire, so maybe that will happen and Marvel will manage to refocus.
Well usually at some point genres will temporarily exhaust themselves. There is just so many combinations of things you can do before it starts to feel like you're just repeating things. There is a lot of ground to cover with comics to be sure, but people may just get tired of seeing people in tights. Given how much each film costs, only a minor drop off in the audience level could make them untenable.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Dec 2018, 20:41

There is a similarity to superheroes as a sub genre that to this viewer exceeds similarities of most other genre.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Dec 2018, 22:23

JasonL wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 20:41
There is a similarity to superheroes as a sub genre that to this viewer exceeds similarities of most other genre.
Genres are wider than subgenres. I'm talking less "horror" than "survival horror" or "slasher movie" or "haunting movie". Less "comedy" than "cringe comedy" or "twenty-something romantic comedy". or "coming-of-age comedy". Heist movies, or police procedurals and crime dramas (once you get over to TV). That stuff is super-common and, often super-formulaic.

But the only other patterns people seem to latch onto and claim to tire of is "zombies" and "remakes". Sometimes "sequels". (And the only one of those that isn't doing great right now is zombies, as we get more movies about ghosts than we ever did about zombies....)

Admittedly, if Hollywood wasn't as married to their standard few plot structures there'd be more variety in superhero movies. But that's Hollywood.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Dec 2018, 22:26

Painboy wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 20:11
Well usually at some point genres will temporarily exhaust themselves. There is just so many combinations of things you can do before it starts to feel like you're just repeating things. There is a lot of ground to cover with comics to be sure, but people may just get tired of seeing people in tights. Given how much each film costs, only a minor drop off in the audience level could make them untenable.
Possible, but I'm not sure we're seeing any sign of that. Meanwhile, outside of super-heroes, action movie sequels seem to be doing very well.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Dec 2018, 00:25

I'm not tired of superhero movies per se but I am tired of origin stories.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Dec 2018, 13:31

I definitely have a visual entertainment problem these days. I'm tired of zombies, vampires, serial killers (above all serial killers), superheroes, Massive CGI Spectacles. Broader categories are "Things that won't die even though they've been repetitive for 3 seasons / sequels".

I'm not tired of but seem to never feel like watching "serious oscar bait" and "the never ending suffering of so and so". I don't enjoy the prospect of being bummed out for a few days by a well made story of woe. Maybe I just don't like visual media very much anymore. I do kind of think that the BBC model of short serials is the way to do things. Long enough to tell a story but they end in a reasonable period.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Dec 2018, 13:43

I seemed to have managed to avoid serial killers altogether. I try to avoid vampires and zombies, but they keep coming back. Why won't they die already?
CGI spectacles need a story to match the visuals. I'm still on the superhero bus, just not getting off at ever stop. But really it's the sequel/remake/reboot forever and ever amen that I've developed an allergy to. Like I'd probably like enjoy Ralph Breaks the Internet but I'm afraid I'd go into anaphylactic shock.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT