I wanna see that!!!!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

I wanna see that!!!!

Post by Mo » 06 May 2010, 22:37

For upcoming movies and TV shows.

Looks like pure win. I'm not sure what's better, the male cast or the female cast, but all in all, it looks like an excellent film.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Re: I wanna see that!!!!

Post by Warren » 07 May 2010, 00:47

That's hilarious. I wonder how they got all those names. Is this some sort of protest thing?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 May 2010, 05:39

Machete was a fake trailer that was part of the rodriguez tarratino grindhouse planet terror movie. I think they re-released a 'special' edition as an az immigration law protest
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 May 2010, 09:09

It was a fake trailer, but now it's a new movie to be released on Labor Day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985694/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 May 2010, 09:34

And if the movie works out, someone will write a novelization which, if it sells, will form the basis for a theme park ride which will inspire a comic book....

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 May 2010, 09:54

D.A. Ridgely wrote:And if the movie works out, someone will write a novelization which, if it sells, will form the basis for a theme park ride which will inspire a comic book....
I believe all roads lead to Robert Downey Jr. from here.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 May 2010, 10:01

JasonL wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:And if the movie works out, someone will write a novelization which, if it sells, will form the basis for a theme park ride which will inspire a comic book....
I believe all roads lead to Robert Downey Jr. from here.
And thence to rehab.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 07 May 2010, 10:43

I must see that.
I must also obtain a motorcycle with a rotary cannon on the front. Because....dude....a motorcycle with a rotary cannon on the front!
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 May 2010, 11:39

machete is going to be amazing.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 May 2010, 11:40

Lorenzo Lamas actually looks like he'll be pretty good in it.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 09 May 2010, 21:29

I'm glad it's going to be a real movie. I must see that.

It looks so awesome that when I finally get around to seeing Avatar (it's going to be re-released with additional footage), I'm going to pretend I'm watching Machete.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 May 2010, 23:50

Stevo Darkly wrote:I'm glad it's going to be a real movie. I must see that.

It looks so awesome that when I finally get around to seeing Avatar (it's going to be re-released with additional footage), I'm going to pretend I'm watching Machete.
David and I finally watched Avatar tonight (with, thank god, its RiffTrax). I knew I was destined to marry David forever when he turned to me halfway through and said, "We really need to listen to the Overwhelming Positivity podcast about this movie when we're done."

(Oh sure, maybe only Rachel will get that, but WHATEVER.)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 May 2010, 09:41

The prospect of watching Avatar with additional footage hearkens to the old joke about the contest with first prize being a week in Philadelphia and second prize being two weeks in Philadelphia.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 May 2010, 01:14

I saw Election last night. Wow! It's about the wheelings and dealings behind a triad chairman's election and what happens when the loser isn't happy about the loss. Both sides are in a race against time to find the Dragons Head Baton, a symbol of the Triad power. Shifting loyalties and police interference(who don't care who is elected as long as their is order) keep the movie damn interesting. The ending was spectacular. The winner(Lok) and loser(Big D) go fishing. They've seemingly made up their differences. Big D brings his wife along while Lok brings his son. Big D brings up the idea of their being two chairman. That they should share power. Lok seems to ponder this until Big D turns his back. Lok picks up a big rock and smashes his head. Then takes off after Big D's wife knowing he has to kill her too to prevent Big D's supporters from starting a war. It ends with his son sitting traumatized in the passenger seat of their car as they drive away.

I watched Triad Election today. The sequel. Just as good for the most part. A little heartbreaking really. A lot of parallels with The Godfather 3. One of Lok's underlings, Jimmy, is trying to become a legit businessman but finds that his membership in the triad hangs over his head. He needs to become the chairman to have the power to overcome the limitations. Meanwhile, Lok is trying to break tradition and stand for reelection. The ending kind of sucked because I saw it coming a mile away. After defeating Lok, Jimmy becomes the new chairman. The police hand over the baton to a shocked Jimmy. They explain that they are tired of having to deal with the triad infighting over the election. They tell Jimmy that the election is hereby abolished and he must remain chairman till he hands it down to his son. A despondant Jimmy realizes that he can never leave the triad.

Both of them are fantasic movies.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 May 2010, 02:17

That's a lot of subtext, Pham. I mean, Reese Witherspoon played well against type in Election, but I hardly see it as a metaphor for organized crime.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 May 2010, 15:42

Hugh Akston wrote:That's a lot of subtext, Pham. I mean, Reese Witherspoon played well against type in Election, but I hardly see it as a metaphor for organized crime.
Everyone knows Reese Witherspoon's career is a money laundering front for the Hong Kong triad. I expect better of you Hugh.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 01 Jun 2010, 14:34

I finally got around to seeing Avatar yesterday and, wow, what an awful movie.

I assume you're supposed to know the plot from the trailers, because, for the first hour, the exposition is so horrible and schizophrenic that I can't understand how anyone is supposed to follow without being on drugs. The story is Pocahontas, with a little Dune "coming-of-age riding a creature" and a few "shits" and "fucks" thrown in to make it... edgy, I guess. The CGI Na'vi reminded me of Gumby, and the lighting contrast between CGI and live-action footage looked like it was done with a 5th grader with some crayons.

The hype preceding the film further accentuated the awfulness, as if Cameron was buying a big car to compensate for less-than-average sized genitals. All the fast-food endorsements and the toys and the marketing were all ramped up to conceal the fact that Cameron, trying to be George Lucas of all fucking people, wasted several years of his life making a shitty movie.

Maybe seeing it in 3D might have made a better impression, but if a pair of goofy glasses are required to make your movie not suck, then what does that say about your movie? Moonwalker sucked when I saw it years ago at Epcot Center, and based on what I saw, 3D hasn't come much further. Sure, there's computers now, but the only difference is that now the few 3D gimmicks throw at the audience (like something coming at you -- a $12 game of fucking peek-a-boo) now look like bad claymation.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

peejaybee

Post by peejaybee » 01 Jun 2010, 15:00

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:That's a lot of subtext, Pham. I mean, Reese Witherspoon played well against type in Election, but I hardly see it as a metaphor for organized crime.
Everyone knows Reese Witherspoon's career is a money laundering front for the Hong Kong triad. I expect better of you Hugh.
Actually, I believe that the character of O-Ren Ishii in Kill Bill was based on Reese Witherspoon.
"I think I'll have tacos tonight (unless I encounter somali pirates on the way home)."

-- Jason L describes the Universal Caveat.

mediageek

Post by mediageek » 10 Jun 2010, 16:21

True story.

I went to see Avatar in the theater. In 3D.

During the super dramatic scene where the humans are bulldozing the trees, and Neytiri screams out in anguish, I inadvertently laughed loud enough to get some dirty looks from the other patrons.

Totally didn't mean to do it. I'm usually pretty good at keeping quiet during a movie.
Palin/Camacho 2012

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Jun 2010, 16:29

I want to see the A-Team. I'm sure that Hollywood will mess it up just as much as they've messed up so many other things from my childhood in their reboots, but I don't care. It's A-Team, and I'm going to cling to the illusion that they'll do it right.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 10 Jun 2010, 16:40

thoreau wrote:I want to see the A-Team. I'm sure that Hollywood will mess it up just as much as they've messed up so many other things from my childhood in their reboots, but I don't care. It's A-Team, and I'm going to cling to the illusion that they'll do it right.
Last night, a local radio station interviewed one of the guys from Rotten Tomatoes (the movie review site). He said The A-Team was quite good and enjoyable. It started out as a "very run-of-the-mill action movie" and "then got better and better." It still remained "only" an action movie, but for a member of that genre it was very enjoyable, "well worth spending a couple hours in an air-conditioned cinema" as I recall him saying.

He also said the casting worked surprisingly well. Only the guy who played B.A. Baraccus was not so much an actor as a maniac, but the rest of the cast pulled him through.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Jun 2010, 16:43

Liam Neeson is a pretty good action movie actor. He dealt out some serious ownage in Taken (great fuckin' movie btw).

A Team trailers look a bit shite. Jessica Beal ...

Neeson looks the part though.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Jun 2010, 16:53

mediageek wrote:True story.

I went to see Avatar in the theater. In 3D.

During the super dramatic scene where the humans are bulldozing the trees, and Neytiri screams out in anguish, I inadvertently laughed loud enough to get some dirty looks from the other patrons.

Totally didn't mean to do it. I'm usually pretty good at keeping quiet during a movie.
Heh. Back when Passion of the Christ came out, I was dating a pianist. She got a substantial portion of her income from playing at a small Methodist Church. She felt close to the minister (later she would find out how he was deceiving her and they had a falling out, but that's another show). He was into whatever the latest mass media gimmick being pushed (The Purpose Driven Life videos etc.) So one day she tells me that he gave her two tickets to Passion but she was sure that I "wouldn't want to see that". "Oh but I would" I said "It'll be a hoot. We can heckle it "Who's your daddy! Who's your daddy!" or "Hey Peter! I can see your house from here". She took her girlfriend instead.

Her review: That was nothing but a snuff film.
Last edited by Warren on 10 Jun 2010, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Jun 2010, 16:55

You are a bad, bad man, Warren. :)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Jun 2010, 18:25

thoreau wrote:I want to see the A-Team. I'm sure that Hollywood will mess it up just as much as they've messed up so many other things from my childhood in their reboots, but I don't care. It's A-Team, and I'm going to cling to the illusion that they'll do it right.
I'm fully planning to see it in the theater. I have my doubts that Neeson is going to adequately fill George Peppard's shoes, but always enjoy seeing him in a movie. And yes, Jessica Biel is in it, but maybe she doesn't have much dialogue?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul