Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Shem

Re: Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Post by Shem » 31 Mar 2018, 13:36

Highway wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 00:44
JasonL wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 22:22
I don’t understand what football is now. Goal line? The fullback as a position is illegal? No running back can ever pick up a blitz?
Just keep your damn head up. That's it. That's the way a lot of people are taught to tackle now anyway, and as soon as they're out of practice it's back to head down and spearing people.
Near as I can tell, it's how everyone has been taught to tackle for decades now. This was on the wall of every single high school gym I went into when I was in school:

JasonL wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 10:42
When a running back picks up a blitzing linebacker, giving up 30 lbs or so, how do they do that now and how do you want them to do that if they can't go low?
The lead with their shoulder, as they should have been doing all along. Leading with your head has always been contraindicated. Shoulder to waist and wrap up is protocol. This is the new rule:
“It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent,”
None of the stuff you're talking about is automatically illegal under that rule. If your eyes are up, you're not lowering your head to initiate contact, and if you want to be at all effective, your eyes should be up and you should be leading with your shoulder. You try to human-bullet at a goal line stand, you're going to get blown up by the guy who sees it coming and moves out of the way. Eyes up is just proper tackling procedure, and the only reason they've gotten from it is because guys want to blow someone up to make highlight reels.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Highway

Post by Highway » 31 Mar 2018, 14:25

From what I was reading, even "See what you hit" has been screwed up, leading to players being taught the goal of, explicitly, hitting the ball with their face mask. They shouldn't be hitting anything with any part of their heads, but plenty have been taught to use their head as all sorts of things. This teaching still puts heads in contact with other things, and it's not just about having your eyes up, it's about using better parts of your body to tackle.

I think that while the Seahawks rugby-style tackling (from videos put out publicly by Pete Carroll) is a better use of the body, it might still run against this rule, since they put their heads down frequently while using that style. But they have had fewer concussions over the last few years, so that's a good starting point.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Mar 2018, 17:49

I think lead with shoulder is correct form but your head is on top of your shoulders. Lowering the shoulder is lowering the head. Does the head hit anything - a leg or anything, that’s a foul. I heard guys try to diagnose illegal line play at goal line- former officials and coaches. Nobody could figure it out. Fumbles under the new catch rule - everyone dives for the ball heads hit things. Wham blocks. Fullbacks.

Shem

Post by Shem » 31 Mar 2018, 22:44

You're not lowering your head in order to initiate contact in those situations, you're doing it to go after the ball. They're trying to get players to stop using their head as a weapon. This is essentially the Ryan Shazier Rule. And it's actually going to make the game better; Shazier uses proper form, he probably makes that tackle, and he definitely doesn't lose the ability to walk.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 May 2018, 14:00

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 May 2018, 13:54

I want the NFL ban on kneeling barred by a court by virtue of all the money teams have taken for stadiums. If it works for private colleges, why not for them?