Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Post by Highway » 31 Jul 2017, 10:58

Mo wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 10:37
When I went to bars every Sunday to watch games at the local BW3, it was definitely more of a Jasonian group. Though I suspect the dial into local sports talk radio is more Highwayian. I suspect "football fans," who are more interested in the league and game overall are going to be more cosmopolitan in attitudes than team fans, who only really know/follow their team and their interest in other teams is purely in how it affects their team.
I don't know if that's a good split. The "murica!" guys I know are the biggest league fans, watching as many games as they can and following moves on other teams, much more than the people who wear Ravens jerseys and "go team!"

I could also see that plenty of people who are "just get on with the game, forget this boring anthem" are split on the Kaepernick style protests. "Just leave that stuff out of my game" works either way.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2017, 11:10

Highway wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 10:58
I could also see that plenty of people who are "just get on with the game, forget this boring anthem" are split on the Kaepernick style protests. "Just leave that stuff out of my game" works either way.
Sure, but while they may not support the protest, they probably don't see it as a reason not to sign the dude.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 Jul 2017, 11:54

Mo wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 11:10
Highway wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 10:58
Sure, but while they may not support the protest, they probably don't see it as a reason not to sign the dude.
I think there is a large and vocal minority who do feel that way about him in particular and celebrities in general. cf: Dixie Chicks vs Bush II
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Sep 2017, 20:59

Shem wrote:
10 Mar 2017, 02:37
Paying 16 million for a second round draft pick is probably the most Cleveland thing anyone could have thought of, but I still think it might wind up working out for them. I mean, they'll have to stop being shit at drafting, but...well, maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.
Well, that didn't even last until the first game of the season. Wonder how that draft pick will work out.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Shem

Post by Shem » 02 Sep 2017, 00:50

So Seattle saw the chance to get a monster of a pass-rusher, and they moved cap space around to get him. Not something they do. I guess at this point, with that Oline, they decided if Wilson dies, he dies.

Well, at least ever other QB will die too.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Sep 2017, 20:15

Chiefs.jpg
Chiefs.jpg (84.7 KiB) Viewed 290 times
If this is true, and it's how a team owner would react, that's far worse to me than all the asswipes approvingly Like-ing this on Facebook. Why does the fucking flag and goddamn anthem mean so much to these jackholes (and there are people who are otherwise friends of mine in that group) that they'd rather someone be forced to lose their dignity and integrity just to genuflect to a fucking symbol.

Of course, these fuckfaces don't understand that forcing people's heads down (or in this case their hands over their heart) runs completely counter to the whole point of that goddamn song.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Sep 2017, 20:52

About not embarrassing yourself or the fans. Also, it's fake.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Sep 2017, 21:35

Highway wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 20:15
If this is true, and it's how a team owner would react, that's far worse to me than all the asswipes approvingly Like-ing this on Facebook.
Wait what?
Highway wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 20:15
Why does the fucking flag and goddamn anthem mean so much to these jackholes
I dunno, but it's a free country and that means you get to set your own priorities. And not for nothing, but public perception is pretty much a priority of ever business.
they'd rather someone be forced to lose their dignity and integrity just to genuflect to a fucking symbol.
Oh please. It's not like he insisted they prostrate themselves.

Look, I don't like militant patriotism anymore than you do. It's just that on the list of things I need to rant about, I can't afford a squawk over how some professional sports team owner wants to impose his politics on the players.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Sep 2017, 00:24

That's fine for you. For me, it's on the list. Because it's not just sports team owners. It's the general thought that the damn flag and anthem are somehow sacred and inviolable and must be held holy. When that runs counter to pretty much every idea of "freedom" that has ever non-ironically existed.

But the language in that (acknowledged to be fake) letter is really what got me: This is my stage, and you are mine performing at my pleasure.

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Sep 2017, 21:22

"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2017, 17:22

Tony Romo knows what he's talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Sep 2017, 17:40

That's interesting, and it could be a good "hook" for Romo, if it's not something that he does too much during a game. That's the kind of stuff that the TV watching fan wants to know about, especially if he can go more into why he thinks it's a particular play, rather than "I'm just experienced with it."

I'd generally rather have a color guy with a good hook than just "generic retired player saying the obvious about the game."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 11 Sep 2017, 17:49

It would be hilarious if it was discovered he was announcing the tape delay.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Sep 2017, 18:07

Highway wrote:That's interesting, and it could be a good "hook" for Romo, if it's not something that he does too much during a game. That's the kind of stuff that the TV watching fan wants to know about, especially if he can go more into why he thinks it's a particular play, rather than "I'm just experienced with it."

I'd generally rather have a color guy with a good hook than just "generic retired player saying the obvious about the game."
He did do a bunch of that though. I saw most of that game live and was pretty impressed. Like with the Lynch run on 4th and 1. I would say it was >80%, this is why they're doing X. And hell, Troy Aikman and Phil Simms are former QBs that don't provide half as much insight.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Sep 2017, 19:25

Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE. That might shave a couple years off the lifespan of football.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Sep 2017, 20:25

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 19:25
Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE. That might shave a couple years off the lifespan of football.
Yeah, watching Tedi Bruschi try to not say anything bad about the NFL and football in general when asked about it, while appearing genuinely worried about what his possible future is was actually fairly uncomfortable in an ESPN segment I saw.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 21 Sep 2017, 20:36

When will this actually affect viewership, though?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Sep 2017, 20:40

Sandy wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 20:36
Last year? Now (I don't know how the ratings are, but the football seems less exciting)?
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 21 Sep 2017, 20:55

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 20:40
Sandy wrote:
Last year? Now (I don't know how the ratings are, but the football seems less exciting)?
From what I understand, ratings are not significantly down. Wife was just reading a piece on this.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Sep 2017, 23:05

Sandy wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 20:55
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote:
From what I understand, ratings are not significantly down. Wife was just reading a piece on this.
There was a piece earlier in the year that seemed to be saying that unique viewers are down, but total viewing is up, as more dedicated fans are watching more.

And even though it feels like we've been hearing about it for a decade, I think we're really at the very start of thinking about these long term risks. Guys who are already in the pipeline (HS, College, Pro players) are going to be less likely to give up football because of health concerns, but I think we'll really start to see the effect in 5-ish years, as people who might have encouraged their kids to play football push them towards something else instead.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Sep 2017, 23:18

Highway wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 23:05
Sandy wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote:
There was a piece earlier in the year that seemed to be saying that unique viewers are down, but total viewing is up, as more dedicated fans are watching more.

And even though it feels like we've been hearing about it for a decade, I think we're really at the very start of thinking about these long term risks. Guys who are already in the pipeline (HS, College, Pro players) are going to be less likely to give up football because of health concerns, but I think we'll really start to see the effect in 5-ish years, as people who might have encouraged their kids to play football push them towards something else instead.
Right. There is zero fucking chance my kids are playing as much as Pee Wee football, 15 years ago, I probably would have been cool with playing football up through high school.

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Sep 2017, 18:16

Sandy wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Apparently the ratings through the first two weeks were down in 9 of 13 broadcast windows from the year before. CBS windows are down 10%. NBC is down 7%, 10% in last week's game. NFL Network is up 2% (probably because all of their games are terrible anyway).

It's one of those things that you can point to hurricanes, you can point to other factors but, in general, quality of play is down, and I honestly do think that more and more people are starting to feel a little squicky about enjoying football, especially the things that they used to like, like crunching hits.

It's not like auto racing, where every fan will say "I don't watch it for the crashes", but really, those are the parts that get replayed, because people want to see it. Now, it's kinda true: If it was all crashes, it's not interesting. Racing fans tune in to watch them *not crash* when most people would. But they still get a thrill from the crashes. And this is a sport where the crashes used to mean people outright died. Now it's very rare for drivers to die, but there is still lasting damage from wrecks, the same as in football. Dario Franchitti retired after a 3rd concussion because it was clear that he was more and more likely to get a concussion from each sucessive wreck. Dale Jr., the most popular NASCAR Cup driver by a long way, is quitting after this year because of concussions (after sitting out more than half of last year). And that's a sport that has done FAR more than football to improve safety (albeit starting from a much more dangerous place). They've made it so that the bodies are taking more of the damage than the heads now. This year, Sebastian Bourdais took a 108 g nearly head-on crash, broke his hip, but hasn't reported any issues with brain injury. Ryan Hunter-Reay hit the wall at Pocono in a 138 g crash, and was left with a very sore hip, but raced the next day, with no reported brain injury issues.

But they can't really take the same steps in football that they do in racing. So there's really gotta be a fundamental change in football play if they're going to see reductions in brain injuries.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 22 Sep 2017, 18:29

Mo wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 23:18
Highway wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote:

Right. There is zero fucking chance my kids are playing as much as Pee Wee football, 15 years ago, I probably would have been cool with playing football up through high school.
If I had a kid I wouldn't have any problem with them playing Peewee football. It's really hard for them to significantly injure themselves as the amount padding they run around in is like being wrapped with a bunch pillows. Kids at that size don't have the power or mass to really hurt each other with that stuff. Most leagues have weight limits on them as well to keep out those maturing a little too quickly.

High school I wouldn't have much issue with it either. College might be an issue but at that point it's going to be their decision.

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Sep 2017, 19:40

Painboy wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 18:29
Mo wrote:
Highway wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote:

If I had a kid I wouldn't have any problem with them playing Peewee football. It's really hard for them to significantly injure themselves as the amount padding they run around in is like being wrapped with a bunch pillows. Kids at that size don't have the power or mass to really hurt each other with that stuff. Most leagues have weight limits on them as well to keep out those maturing a little too quickly.

High school I wouldn't have much issue with it either. College might be an issue but at that point it's going to be their decision.
I think it's far too early in the research to think like this. There may be less energy on a peewee or high school field, but there's also a lot less experience, both in how to hit people, and knowing what to look out for on the field.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ultimate Frisbee get a bit more popular, but I'd like it to get away from being a field full of douchey bros.

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Sep 2017, 20:35

Painboy wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 18:29
Mo wrote:
Highway wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Sandy wrote:

I have read research that says that players can get CTE from playing h.s., obviously it's less likely and less severe, but you can still get brain damage. Part of the avoidance of Pee-Wee is to prevent future desire to play. As the 'Jitos get older, they have more agency and I will have less control (and rightly so), so best to nip it in the bud.