Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Shem

Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Post by Shem » 10 Mar 2017, 02:37

Paying 16 million for a second round draft pick is probably the most Cleveland thing anyone could have thought of, but I still think it might wind up working out for them. I mean, they'll have to stop being shit at drafting, but...well, maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Pham Nuwen

Re: Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Mar 2017, 03:47

I don't get it except to gain a 2nd and ... a 5th round? Something like that. I'm guessing they are going to dump Osweiler on someone? Not sure who would want the guy but sports ain't really my thing. Is it one of those 11th dimensional chess things I hear about from time to time?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Mar 2017, 09:05

I don't think Osweiler is as bad as his season in Houston. I don't think he's as good as substituting for Manning. But I do think he's better than any QB the Browns have had in their locker room since Bernie Kosar. And the fact is that the Texans made the playoffs last year. Without JJ Watt.

It's not the worst move the Browns have made. It's certainly better than RGIII.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Mar 2017, 09:08

They want to distinguish themselves as not the Sac Kings of the NFL but the more analytically driven 76ers of the NFL.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Mar 2017, 09:38

If you have $100M in cap and suck, loading up on draft picks in exchange for cash is a smart move.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Mar 2017, 10:09

The skins are definitely giving the Browns and the 49ers a run for Most Dysfunctional Front Office this year. (though the skins are always competitive in that category)
)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Mar 2017, 10:50

Mo wrote:If you have $100M in cap and suck, loading up on draft picks in exchange for cash is a smart move.
Despite the initial weirdness when I heard about it this is my thought as well.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Mar 2017, 17:35

Maybe it's because I saw the Raiders improve pretty intelligently in pretty short order. They loaded up on picks and short contracts while they got out of cap hell and then smartly invested in talent. The last part is the hard part.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Mar 2017, 10:00

I'm pretty sure I would have never guessed that Shannon Sharpe would cite Douglass’ "What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?"

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Jun 2017, 10:22

Today I learned there an NFL Tight End named Butt who does toilet paper marketing.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 08 Jun 2017, 13:04

Even better; his QB is named Siemian. The jokes write themselves.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Jun 2017, 15:42

Shem wrote:Even better; his QB is named Siemian. The jokes write themselves.
The funniest ones would be where they make reference to Aquaman being useless with no other commentary.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Re: Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Post by Mo » 27 Jul 2017, 23:03

This is a negative leading indicator for the NFL.

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Jul 2017, 08:52

Yeah, when it goes from "a risk" of CTE to "a certainty" of CTE, with the only difference being how much it affects the individual player, then it becomes a lot harder to tell yourself "I'll be fine." Especially a guy who is probably gonna be fine without football.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jul 2017, 09:21

Another way to look at this is 'certainty of CTE' may not mean that much give the range of outcomes. What you'd need to know is the parameters that go into negative effects that are noticeable. Steve Young apparently has CTE if we are talking 100%.

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Jul 2017, 15:21

The reactions to this story are so very stupid. Oh, the national anthem protests caused fewer people to watch football. That is bad, but...
J.D. Power noted that only 12 percent of the fans it surveyed said they watched fewer NFL games last season, with 27 percent of people saying they watched more and 62 percent saying they watched just as much as they had the season before.
So over twice as many people watched more football than less football. That doesn't fit my preconceived conclusion.

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Jul 2017, 15:29

Mo wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 15:21
The reactions to this story are so very stupid. Oh, the national anthem protests caused fewer people to watch football. That is bad, but...
J.D. Power noted that only 12 percent of the fans it surveyed said they watched fewer NFL games last season, with 27 percent of people saying they watched more and 62 percent saying they watched just as much as they had the season before.
So over twice as many people watched more football than less football. That doesn't fit my preconceived conclusion.
It's like Republicans. There are fewer of them, but they're more fanatical about it. :)

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jul 2017, 15:32

I wonder if some of those people were really saying "i hated the whole story about the anthem protests" which is different from "i hate what kaepernick did".

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jul 2017, 23:56

Sure a guy who cold cocked his wife in an elevator is cool, but a guy who takes a knee during mandatory patriotism, he might hurt our brand.

Highway

Post by Highway » 31 Jul 2017, 09:42

Mo wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 23:56
Sure a guy who cold cocked his wife in an elevator is cool, but a guy who takes a knee during mandatory patriotism, he might hurt our brand.
Sadly, among the Ravens fans I know, he's right. Ray Rice was far less disliked for assaulting his wife than he was for his propensity to fall down behind the line of scrimmage his last couple of years, but neither thing was as offensive to these asswipes as Kaepernick.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Jul 2017, 09:50

I think they have a problem insofar as they've branded football to be all america and we love the military and Pat Tillman and flyovers and so forth, so if you believe in that brand you also believe that certain things are brand destructive.

I don't think that actually is the brand as normal people see it, which has a lot to do with fantasy football and sunday gameday watching parties and chicken wings and ugh here we go with the national anthem again ffs, but I can see with them having spent all that time steeping in americana they see a problem where there probably isn't one.

Highway

Post by Highway » 31 Jul 2017, 10:07

It's possible that I'm in a isolated group, but I think that there's a lot more "murica!" types among football fans than gameday party fans. And they're certainly louder about it.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Jul 2017, 10:19

Highway wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 10:07
It's possible that I'm in a isolated group, but I think that there's a lot more "murica!" types among football fans than gameday party fans. And they're certainly louder about it.
Yeah I could have the same problem going the other way. My local football watching crowd at the bars and such are not "hush this is the anthem!" sorts of people. They are "omg when will this end pls unleash my lineup so I can make fun of that dude over there".

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 31 Jul 2017, 10:33

It doesn't help that many people see professional athletes as overpaid brats who don't have a real job. They're viewed much in same way as Hollywood celebrities. So any derivation from the normal sports cliches is going to be greeted with a certain level of hostility. Kaepernick's big mistake was expressing himself during the game (or as close to it as was possible). No one wants to see stuff like that for what most see as a non-political event, regardless of the validity of that line of reasoning.

Of course if Kaep had been recently playing more like Joe Montana and less like Brian Fitzpatrick I'm sure he would have found a team by now regardless of his politics. No one wants to deal with the fallout bringing him onto the team for what would likely only be in a backup QB role.

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2017, 10:37

When I went to bars every Sunday to watch games at the local BW3, it was definitely more of a Jasonian group. Though I suspect the dial into local sports talk radio is more Highwayian. I suspect "football fans," who are more interested in the league and game overall are going to be more cosmopolitan in attitudes than team fans, who only really know/follow their team and their interest in other teams is purely in how it affects their team.