Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Post by Warren » 04 Feb 2018, 21:11

Mo wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 17:00
That’s one way to avoid a lawsuit from the NFL.

I...
That just has to be intentional with that border.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Feb 2018, 22:03

The kids are asleep, my houseguest is staying with his boyfriend, David's at work -- I'm alone in the house and OMG I CAN"T HANDLE THIS GAME ALKSFJ:KFDSLKDJF I hope Tom Brady gets frostbite and his balls fall off
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Feb 2018, 22:18

WOOOOOOOOOOO SUCK IT BILL BELICHICK YOU GIANT TURD
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Feb 2018, 22:53

Now that the joy of the Patriots losing glow has worn off a little, the realization that Philly won the Superb Owl has sunk in. Now I know what Republicans felt like in November 2016.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Feb 2018, 23:03

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Feb 2018, 23:26

I might watch the Superbowl if the winners' parade featured the winners marching with the heads of the losers on pikes.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Feb 2018, 23:53

That was some terrible CGI of Brady and Foles that NBC used in the stat comparisons. Like 2008 Madden quality.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Feb 2018, 10:06

Sunny needs to go super insane to top reality for the inevitable "The Gang Wins the Super Bowl" episode.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Feb 2018, 11:19

Aresen wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 23:26
I might watch the Superbowl if the winners' parade featured the winners marching with the heads of the losers on pikes.
In the case of Philadelphia, fans' heads would be more satisfying.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Feb 2018, 11:32

The Brady's found a way to be even more insufferable. How about, "Your daddy got outplayed by a guy that didn't even have a job one year ago?"

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Feb 2018, 11:38

I dunno, it's hard to say Brady got outplayed. At best the QB play was a tie, with the tiebreaker being the one time the D got a hand on the ball and one dropped pass. Gisele's still insufferable, tho.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Feb 2018, 11:49

The game was won because Foles was a better receiver than Brady.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Feb 2018, 17:59

Mo wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 11:49
The game was won because Foles was a better receiver than Brady.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Feb 2018, 09:46

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Feb 2018, 13:27

I like that there are a couple of blucifers in there for the Broncos.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Mar 2018, 17:28

I am really surprised this didn't get a lot more press over the last couple days:

NFL bans lowering the head to initiate contact for "any player anywhere on the field."

It was an apparently rushed in rule, and is a 15-yard penalty, and may result in ejection from the game.

Personally, I'm glad to see it. Does it change the game? Sure. Probably more than most rule changes. But I don't think it stops good athletes from performing well and separating themselves from other guys. And hopefully it stops guys from bulling their heads into piles and into runners.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Mar 2018, 22:22

I don’t understand what football is now. Goal line? The fullback as a position is illegal? No running back can ever pick up a blitz?

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Mar 2018, 00:44

JasonL wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 22:22
I don’t understand what football is now. Goal line? The fullback as a position is illegal? No running back can ever pick up a blitz?
Just keep your damn head up. That's it. That's the way a lot of people are taught to tackle now anyway, and as soon as they're out of practice it's back to head down and spearing people.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Mar 2018, 10:42

I don't think it's quite that clear. As currently constructed the rule is a penalty for lowering the head to initiate contact. A goal line stand is every single player trying to get lower than the guy opposite him, with a running back trying to follow in at the lowest possible pad level. All of that is lowering the head. It isn't "leading with the crown" or helmet to helmet contact meaning this isn't targeting and it isn't spearing, it's lowering the head whether that be from the waist or from the neck.

When a running back picks up a blitzing linebacker, giving up 30 lbs or so, how do they do that now and how do you want them to do that if they can't go low?

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Mar 2018, 11:32

There's plenty of small RBs who pick up an LB by redirecting him around the QB. It's kind of exactly the point to keep guys from putting their heads down where they get smacked by some other guy's knee, or bending down to "lower the hammer" and "finish a run". Short yardage will be about finding another way to gain leverage, which is the point. The point isn't to lead with the head or be a battering ram.

This doesn't ruin the game in any way for me. It hopefully makes it better because now there are fewer guys going in there leading with their head, as viewers who have followed the brain injury news coming out (and every single bit of it is bad. There's been no controversy or "well, this study shows it isn't as bad as we thought") cringe and wish that guy wouldn't do that.

The real key is whether this gets enforced, and how it gets enforced. I'm expecting that it'll just be on obvious plays at the beginning. And hopefully it's a lot better than the college "targeting" rule, where I get sick at the meathead commentators watching slo-mo replays every time it's called trying to explain away why it's not targeting. If a rule is going to mean something, then it has to be enforced consistently. There will still be too many "intent" calls, but we'll have to see how it gets called in games.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Mar 2018, 11:40

I don't know what it will look like. Leverage is pad level. It's like telling a wrestler you can do anything but shoot.

Might be a better sport or a similar sport or a terrible sport, but if enforced as written, the game will look very very different. For a while overload blitzes will be impossible to pick up. I think the fullback is straight up an illegal position to play.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 20:30

Dude. Professional football is mostly dead. It will be all dead inside twenty years. There is no safe way to play tackle football and nobody wants to watch other-than-tackle football.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Mar 2018, 22:18

How vulnerable to these are hockey and soccer? Hockey still has a lot of big hits and honest-to-bog fights that would get people in other leagues ejected from games, and soccer has headers that are apparently almost as bad as repeated tackles in terms of impulse to the cranium. They rarely get the actual concussions, but I get the impression that CTE is less concussion and more repeated minor head trauma.

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Mar 2018, 23:01

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 22:18
How vulnerable to these are hockey and soccer? Hockey still has a lot of big hits and honest-to-bog fights that would get people in other leagues ejected from games, and soccer has headers that are apparently almost as bad as repeated tackles in terms of impulse to the cranium. They rarely get the actual concussions, but I get the impression that CTE is less concussion and more repeated minor head trauma.
Well, CTE is a progressive thing. It's kinda like arthritis: some people have a little, some people have it a lot worse. Some people it makes achy, some people it restricts movement, or even makes it impossible to walk or use an arm. So just identifying that people have CTE doesn't mean that they're going to suffer significant symptoms, but nor is it something that is not worth worrying about. From what I've read, it's seemingly a combination of susceptibility and an accumulation of traumas, both in number and in severity. That's why american football is seeing it the worst: it has both the most hits and the highest average impact force.

The last thing I read about soccer was that the headers aren't as bad, especially in terms of concussions, because of the expected nature of the impact ("purposeful heading"). The dangers are much higher from unexpected impacts, such as head-to-head, elbow-to-head, or even knee-to-head. But youth leagues have also banned heading in the sport, to reduce those repeated lower-force traumas, and also to remove a lot of the situations where people hit their heads on something else.

I think hockey has a huge problem, and that one's just going to get worse. And unlike banning heading in soccer, you can't really take the puck away in hockey, and that's a big source of the injuries. Women's hockey has a very high concussion rate, and women's sports report much higher concussion rates than men's sports, although noone has identified why.