Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Shem

Re: Browns give up, pay 16 million for Super Bowl Ring: NFL '17

Post by Shem » 08 Jan 2018, 21:27

JasonL wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 08:31
If belichick and Brady are both going full fuck you, I like lebatards idea that Tom should lobby for a coaching staff of McAdoo, Fox, and chuck pags. “You think it was all your coaching? Hold my beer”
Gotta go with Jeff Fisher. After the way the Rams let him get riiiiiiiight up to the all-time loss record, and then cut him just as he tied, he needs a chance to get into the history books.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Jan 2018, 17:47

How about them Vikings?
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Jan 2018, 20:09

I was about to type "Well shit".

Then I was like "How 'but dat?"

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Jan 2018, 21:20

So I have to root for the Jags now?

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 14 Jan 2018, 23:59

I'll reiterate that the rule requiring an extra point to be kicked when it doesn't affect the outcome and time has run out is a bad one.

And y'all can fuck off with your ridiculous arguments to the contrary.

That said, it did contribute some lulz, so maybe it was good for that.

Yeah, go Jags. Anybody but the Patriots.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Jan 2018, 00:39

Fuck me, I want a Jags-Vikings Super Bowl.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Jan 2018, 08:40

fyodor wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 23:59
I'll reiterate that the rule requiring an extra point to be kicked when it doesn't affect the outcome and time has run out is a bad one.

And y'all can fuck off with your ridiculous arguments to the contrary.

That said, it did contribute some lulz, so maybe it was good for that.

Yeah, go Jags. Anybody but the Patriots.
It's a bad rule made even dumber by the fact that you don't have to do it in overtime. Have it be an option? Sure, because as long as net points are part of the tiebreaking procedure, there's an incentive for a team to get that extra point. But if the team doesn't want to do it, then don't make them do it. Or even let the other team concede the point without showing up for it. It was even dumber that the refs held the snap until the Saints had enough guys out there, when the Vikings were ready to go.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Shem

Post by Shem » 17 Jan 2018, 21:13

Any other year if be all-in on the Vikings, but the idea of a team playing the Superbowl in their own stadium rubs me the wrong way.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jan 2018, 22:31

Shem wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 21:13
Any other year if be all-in on the Vikings, but the idea of a team playing the Superbowl in their own stadium rubs me the wrong way.
It's definitely rewarding bad behavior.

And considering how many times the Vikings have lost the Super Bowl (and they are one of my teams, Seattle being the other), I don't want them to go to the Super Bowl unless they are absolutely positively going to win. And while they obviously have a strong team, this last Sunday didn't give me a lot of confidence.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jan 2018, 22:46

There was a point made about the Vikings playing at "home", because the NFC is the visiting team this year. They'd get the normal 25% of the ticket allocation, although it would be easier for people to buy tickets secondhand since they don't have to travel. But would they make the Vikings use the visitor locker room? Could they use any of their own audio cues? It might not be as much of a 'home' game as they think.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Jan 2018, 23:22

The Naval Academy played a bowl game at their own stadium this year. I'm sure they used their normal 'home' facilities, but the bowl committee management and staff was a completely different group than the people that normally run the regular home games (as was made clear in the clusterf*** of traffic managment trying to leave the game - which was a blowout!)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 08:05

I think the only benefit would be in a city like Miami, New Orleans, LA or, in the future, Vegas, where there are "distractions". The local team won't be as tempted by the lure of the local scene, which makes discipline easier. Seeing as we're talking about Minneapolis in February, distractions won't be as big of a deal.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Jan 2018, 08:18

Hey, the Vikings found a way to have off the field distractions in their hometown
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 08:43

Not in February.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Jan 2018, 11:43

life...finds a way.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 Jan 2018, 12:28

Am I the only one who thinks the Gruden/Raiders deal is kind of insane? Yeah he won a Superbowl but otherwise his teams were kind of middling for much of his career. That's an awful lot of money.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 13:39

No. Though his Raiders teams were excellent. He basically took two teams to the NFL the year he won it all. And his crappy teams were after the Bucs lost a lot of their elite defensive talent. If this deal was made 5 years ago, it would be less insane, but after this long of a layoff, I think it's odd.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Jan 2018, 14:29

It makes sense only to the extent that it takes an insane amount of money to get someone out of the broadcast booth, which has orders of magnitude less stress and time comitment.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 14:59

Though guys like McVay show that there's still talent to be had if you go the less green route.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 19 Jan 2018, 11:59

Kolohe wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 14:29
It makes sense only to the extent that it takes an insane amount of money to get someone out of the broadcast booth, which has orders of magnitude less stress and time comitment.
Which would bother me about hiring a coach who only will get back into football by being paid a mountain of money. As an owner or GM I would want a guy who has serious passion to be a coach in the NFL. Someone who really wants to get back into the action if they found themselves out of it. With Gruden it seems like he's almost getting dragged back into it. If things start going south is he going to have the drive to turn things around?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Jan 2018, 21:12

So the best thing would be if North Korea, or a meteor, destroys Minneapolis at half-time during the super bowl.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 21 Jan 2018, 21:29

ouch

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jan 2018, 13:24

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 21:12
So the best thing would be if North Korea, or a meteor, destroys Minneapolis at half-time during the super bowl.
Small price to pay to be rid of the Patriots.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 Jan 2018, 19:58

Regarding injuries, has there been any serious talk of just limiting player height and weight?

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Feb 2018, 17:00

That’s one way to avoid a lawsuit from the NFL.