Familiar spirits

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Solitudinarian

Re: Familiar spirits

Post by Solitudinarian » 09 Nov 2018, 13:48

So, after 17 years it would seem that Ayleen (the spelling convention of the cattery whence she came) will finally find her Door into Summer. Hyperthyroidism and renal disease have proven too great a combination to overcome. On Monday, the vet will pay the final house call and we’ll find some nice stretch of desert to bury her. She’s been a good cat, the best.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

JD

Post by JD » 09 Nov 2018, 14:04

Really sorry to hear it, Sol. It seems like that's what gets a lot of cats in the end. It sounds like she had a good life and you took care of her the best you could.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Nov 2018, 14:13

17 years is simultaneously a long time and yet not long enough. Sorry to hear it Sol.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Nov 2018, 15:14

Comfort and easy rest for kittehs and kittehpapas.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Nov 2018, 23:07

Sorry to hear about Ayleen.
A stage production of Sound of Music is on PBS right now, it's near the end when the Von Trapps are hiding in the Abbey after the concert - and my dog just started barking at the Nazi dogs. So I guess she's Antifa?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Nov 2018, 01:51

Sorry to hear that, Sol. Best wishes.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Dec 2018, 16:51

Aresen - you ever experience sudden aggression / violent behavior in the stall that mitigates in pasture? Really extreme behavior swing. Only known issue is abscess in foot.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Dec 2018, 12:44

Horsey Joe has pyloric ulcers.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 21 Dec 2018, 06:04

Yeah, that'll make one cranky. Good luck with the treatment.

JD

Post by JD » 17 Jan 2019, 12:33

Background: Max usually sleeps at my wife's feet. Fury sometimes sleeps in our bed, usually on my side if she does, but more often she roams around at night and sleeps in the living room or office.

The other evening, Fury had been unusually cuddly, and when we went to bed, she jumped up and curled up at my wife's feet, in Max's usual spot. A few minutes later Max came along. He stopped and stared at Fury lying in his usual spot. He started to settle down in a new spot, like he was just resigned to it. But then... Now, you have to understand that Max is not an aggressive cat. If somebody is biting or swatting, it's always Fury who starts it, because she thinks it's great fun. But after a second, Max changed his mind, stumped over to Fury, and swatted her in the face. Fury was so startled she just got up and left, and Max reclaimed his usual spot.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Jan 2019, 12:12

CDC: stop snuggling your hedgehogs
Americans have been warned by the government not to kiss or snuggle their hedgehogs after an outbreak of salmonella was linked to the tiny mammals.

The outbreak has affected 11 people in eight states this week, 10 of whom had recently been in contact with a hedgehog, according to the Center for Disease Control.
Also, hire a copy editor NYP
A single case has been reported in Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Mississippi and Maine, according the CDC.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Feb 2019, 10:27

My wife bought our cat a (branded for pets) heating pad to lie on. I'm waiting for the thing to catch on fire...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 22 Feb 2019, 13:01

Highway wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 10:27
My wife bought our cat a (branded for pets) heating pad to lie on. I'm waiting for the thing to catch on fire...
The cat or the pad?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Feb 2019, 14:06

We had one of those that was activated by the pressure of the cat laying on it. They kinda liked it but they frickin' love the non-electric one that's a fuzzy mat with a thermal reflective layer sandwiched underneath.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Feb 2019, 18:03

This one just has a timer and a temp setting. The one cat has always liked heating pads, but normal heating pad is ugly and uncomfortable I guess (and not big enough for his basketball shape). So far he seems to like it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Familiar spirits

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Feb 2019, 02:50

So mrs lunch was all I miss Zoey let’s just go look at what they have for adoption. So now there’s a 4 month old 6lb chihuahua mix and about a 1.5 year old 65lb boxer mix in the crates by the bed.
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg (264.2 KiB) Viewed 381 times
IMG_1543.jpg
IMG_1543.jpg (309.85 KiB) Viewed 381 times
The little one’s name is fluctuating between Dobby, Chalupa, and Taco. The boxer is currently Snoofl, although that is subject to change.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Feb 2019, 07:47

Ahhh cuties. The little one totally looks like a Dobby.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Feb 2019, 17:45

+1 to Dobby
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 26 Feb 2019, 12:58

Totes Dobby.

Also - yay for puppy adoption!

(But sad for the reason why.)
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Feb 2019, 20:31

There was a promotion at the pet (food) store where they were giving away free marrow bones, and because they remember Dubs from adopting Biggie, they gave him one for each of the dogs.

The marrow bones are highly valuable—too valuable. Sam is always worried Biggie is going to take hers. He’s too busy guarding his to actually spend any time chewing it, even though Sam is super meek and totally preoccupied with her own. He keeps pacing with it in his mouth because he doesn’t know what else to do unless Dubs takes it away and puts it back in the freezer, then he can finally relax.

It seemed like an impressive story about Buddhism.
2F52BF03-FADA-4123-9663-1A95D3F568F4.jpeg
2F52BF03-FADA-4123-9663-1A95D3F568F4.jpeg (687.28 KiB) Viewed 297 times
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Feb 2019, 10:00

We cling to our inner peace by the marrowest of margins.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 27 Feb 2019, 12:21

nicole wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 20:31
There was a promotion at the pet (food) store where they were giving away free marrow bones, and because they remember Dubs from adopting Biggie, they gave him one for each of the dogs.

The marrow bones are highly valuable—too valuable. Sam is always worried Biggie is going to take hers. He’s too busy guarding his to actually spend any time chewing it, even though Sam is super meek and totally preoccupied with her own. He keeps pacing with it in his mouth because he doesn’t know what else to do unless Dubs takes it away and puts it back in the freezer, then he can finally relax.

It seemed like an impressive story about Buddhism.
When we first got Cassie, our rescue, she literally had never seen a dog treat in her life and didn't know what she was supposed to do with one. She would look at them suspiciously and walk off.

We buy beef patellas in bulk from some guy at the dog show. We put down 10 at a time, because otherwise we get hoarding and snarling and all kinds of nonsense. But with a sufficient surplus, everybody grabs one and goes off to a corner and crunches away.

Also, lunch, that's a Dobby. It's the ears.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Feb 2019, 15:32

So Dobby is officially "Stella" now, because mrs lunch is really slow to name her creatures and typically waits until she accidentally calls them something, and then she's ah that's her name.

But she's still totes a house elf, although as can be seen she's gotten her clothes so she's a free elf.

Nicole, I also think there's a DEVO song in there somewhere.

Specifically "Freedom of Choice" which doesn't fit perfectly but it's close and also the market

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Feb 2019, 15:41

I assume every time you call her to come to you, you're going to do your best Stanley Kowalski impression.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Feb 2019, 15:44

Ellie wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 15:41
I assume every time you call her to come to you, you're going to do your best Stanley Kowalski impression.
Actually more of a Jacob Kowalski.