Familiar spirits

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: Familiar spirits

Post by Ellie » 04 Feb 2018, 22:20

Hahaha!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 04 Feb 2018, 23:58

Fucking fuck fuckidy fuck of a fuck.

So our older, formerly known as "good" dog, started farting a lot this last week. Like, a lot a lot. And then on Wednesday, he didn't drink much. And he started wanting to go outside and just lie down, even though it was pretty chilly. And he was leaving fairly large dumps. Then Thursday he started drinking a lot a lot. And he's been panting a lot. And having to go outside and urinate. And then drink. And repeat.

Finally we took him to the emergency vet today because we noticed he'd grown alarmingly in size, and we were worried about bloat or a blockage or edema or...something. The vet couldn't find anything wrong but was frankly accusatory that he'd gained 8 pounds over his previous weight. He'd been very underweight this summer, so we'd been trying to bulk him up, and just last week had noticed he was getting a bit soft in the ribs and probably needed to be cut back a bit. But a month ago I'd been able to carry him up the stairs to bathe him, so there was no way he was obese.

Cue a bunch of tests and us defensively saying there's no way, there must be something else wrong, we haven't been feeding him enough and we can tell his shape changed over this week, and the panting is abnormal and just started, and urinalysis and blood tests and a hefty fee and a finding of...nothing.

So we get home and my wife remembers that the other morning she found the special food we get for our other dog on its side, but nothing spilled out. I finally notice that it does look awfully low for just having been opened two weeks ago...and the penny dropped.

Our good dog had been entertaining himself each morning by going into the other dog's food and helping himself, but had managed to do it in a way that we didn't notice he'd been getting in there. And he's eaten himself obese in a little over a week.

We think.

Anyway, a new, latchable container has been ordered and formerly-good-dog is going to be unhappy with his portions for a while.

But we'll still follow up with his regular vet and probably pay for some x-rays or something to confirm he's just eating himself to death.

(Not-very-)Little fucknugget.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Feb 2018, 01:22

I feel a new emotion. It's a mixture of concern, pity, and admiration.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Feb 2018, 08:25

Well, it's good you didn't find anything more than just a piggy dog, but hope he can get back to normal now.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 05 Feb 2018, 10:20

Highway wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 08:25
Well, it's good you didn't find anything more than just a piggy dog, but hope he can get back to normal now.
Vet confirmed our hypothesis fits the data. He's going to be a on a bland diet and a probiotic for a while to get his GI tract settled down, then yes, he's going to be back on his normal diet and probably unhappy with his portions.

Now...just need someone to do that for us.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Feb 2018, 10:24

Sandy wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 10:20
Highway wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 08:25
Vet confirmed our hypothesis fits the data. He's going to be a on a bland diet and a probiotic for a while to get his GI tract settled down, then yes, he's going to be back on his normal diet and probably unhappy with his portions.

Now...just need someone to do that for us.
The dog’s bland diet is also my diet-diet, so at least that’s convenient?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 05 Feb 2018, 14:13

Sandy wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 23:58
Fucking fuck fuckidy fuck of a fuck.

(Not-very-)Little fucknugget.
Oh man, sorry you had to go through all that hassle and expense, but that's kinda funny. We had to buy a latching container a few weeks after we got our latest one because he's just tall enough to get his head into an open 25 lb. bag. Gorged himself sick one day, the asshole.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 05 Feb 2018, 21:23

One of our cats jumped up on the kitchen counter today and knocked a half-full can of rather liquid-y cat food to the floor, then didn't even bother eating it off the floor. Probably just enjoyed causing a mess.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Mar 2018, 21:37

Shit yo. I’m away for work and Dubs just got an emergency email from the local pet place where we train Sam about how this guy we see all the time who lives on our block died suddenly and his Westie urgently needs a home/foster to avoid the city shelter. Sam and Biggie (the Westie) are buddies and we always loved running into him and his dad. Dubs just went and picked him up. I can’t even believe it about the dad, poor guy, middle aged fat guy who died alone and who knows how long Biggie was alone with him before anyone realized. I just saw them on Sunday.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 29 Mar 2018, 06:02

Poor Biggie, and very sad about his person. Props to Ldubs and you.

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Mar 2018, 07:20

Sounds about as good as it can get from something terrible. It's really kind of you guys to take in the dog.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Mar 2018, 09:10

Biggie is now in a two pack?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Mar 2018, 09:31

Sometimes his barks just hypnotize me.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2018, 09:33

Hahahaha. Yep. I guess Sam was pretty jealous last night but hopefully she’ll be cool with it soon. I’m sure it’s harder since I’m away but I’ll be home tonight.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 29 Mar 2018, 10:56

Kolohe wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 09:10
Biggie is now in a two pack?
Points! As they say.

Goodonya & Ldub for fostering/adopting Biggie on such short notice.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Mar 2018, 12:13

Brohugs to Biggie for his loss.
nicole wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 21:37
I can’t even believe it about the dad, poor guy, middle aged fat guy who died alone and who knows how long Biggie was alone with him before anyone realized. I just saw them on Sunday.
A bunch of nerd friends (in the local Klingon house) had a friend who died of a heart attack. He was retired and lived alone up in the mountains, so he wasn't missed until folks realized he hadn't been online in a while and asked someone local to go check. His dog had been stuck in the house with no food for no one knows exactly how long. Apparently the poor thing had to do what it had to do.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Mar 2018, 14:43

nicole wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 09:33
Hahahaha. Yep. I guess Sam was pretty jealous last night but hopefully she’ll be cool with it soon. I’m sure it’s harder since I’m away but I’ll be home tonight.
If you don't already have it, let me know and I should be able to get you contacts for the Westie Mafia up there.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2018, 14:48

tr0g wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 14:43
nicole wrote:
If you don't already have it, let me know and I should be able to get you contacts for the Westie Mafia up there.
I do not so please do! Thanks.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Mar 2018, 14:56

nicole wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 14:48
tr0g wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 14:43
nicole wrote:
I do not so please do! Thanks.
No problem. I got in-house counsel working it, so she should have something today.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2018, 17:35

The pet place gave him a free grooming, and free collar and leash (he somehow had lost his). And Dubs said he finally ate something this afternoon!
63561086-46E6-4520-8DE9-BFEC0B760838.jpeg
63561086-46E6-4520-8DE9-BFEC0B760838.jpeg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 578 times

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Mar 2018, 17:42

Hooray!

He looks like a sweet pupper.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Mar 2018, 19:51

Oh, that poor little thing. Good on y'all for taking care of him.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Apr 2018, 00:49

YOU GUYS

ZOEY IS SO CONCERNED YOU GUYS
ZoeyIsSoConcernedYouGuys.png
ZoeyIsSoConcernedYouGuys.png (760.87 KiB) Viewed 481 times

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Apr 2018, 18:40

Tfw your life just changed
031C1360-35DD-4363-8307-A1B3E8F53F29.jpeg
031C1360-35DD-4363-8307-A1B3E8F53F29.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 463 times

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Apr 2018, 19:39

So you guys made it official with your late neighbor's pupper?

Hooray for puppers having homes.

Haha for cones of shame.